+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Strange things that people shout at matches…

Strange things that people shout at matches…

My Dad used to shout ‘It’s your birthday!’ if a player made a mistake and therefore presented another player with a good chance.

He also used to shout ‘open the gates!’ (as in, the player is on his way out of the stadium) whenever a player went on a mazy, but usually fruitless dribble (think David Giles/Tarki).

And lastly, and amazingly this one came up on Twitter recently, ‘Ha’d a bear’ (which I think was short for ‘hard to bear’) if a player was unlucky. The conclusion on Twitter was that this last one was Cardiff City specific.

Sadly he isn’t around anymore to ask where he got these phrases from :-(

PS. Btw, I have never heard anyone else shout these at a football match

Re: Strange things that people shout at matches…

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    My Dad used to shout ‘It’s your birthday!’ if a player made a mistake and therefore presented another player with a good chance.

He also used to shout ‘open the gates!’ (as in, the player is on his way out of the stadium) whenever a player went on a mazy, but usually fruitless dribble (think David Giles/Tarki).

And lastly, and amazingly this one came up on Twitter recently, ‘Ha’d a bear’ (which I think was short for ‘hard to bear’) if a player was unlucky. The conclusion on Twitter was that this last one was Cardiff City specific.

Sadly he isn’t around anymore to ask where he got these phrases from :-(

PS. Btw, I have never heard anyone else shout these at a football match
    ‘Ard a bear’ was/is a very popular ‘on field’ remark, certainly on Cardiff parks.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ‘Ard a bear’ was/is a very popular ‘on field’ remark, certainly on Cardiff parks.
    Ah, thanks! That explains it then

I find it strange when I hear anti-Swansea chants when we're not even playing them.

When visiting my sister in Leicester many years ago, her husband took me to see them play. I must have been 12 or thirteen at the time.
    Anyway, Leicester had a player called Billy Hughes playing for them, and a supporter obviously wasn’t happy with the effort that the former FA Cup winner was putting in.

The ball went out of play quite near where we were standing and the unhappy fan shouted out… “Oi! Hughes! You need sh@66ing with a frosty mop!”.

Hughes must have been no more than 20’ away, and I spent the rest of the game with the hood of my parker tight over my head, trying to hide the fact that I was laughing.

My dad always used to say “he has a touch like a blacksmith”. Always found that an odd one lol.

In the late 60's the 'man in the green anorak' as we used to call him had it in for our full back Dave Carver. Every game without fail he'd shout out, "Carver you're like a baby carthorse".

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    My dad always used to say “he has a touch like a blacksmith”. Always found that an odd one lol.
    That is a good one!

I remember having this conversation with a Villa supporting colleague of mine years ago and he said that his Dad used to shout ‘put the pill in the sprout bag!’ which we concluded was intended as encouraging Villa to put the ball in the net.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    When visiting my sister in Leicester many years ago, her husband took me to see them play. I must have been 12 or thirteen at the time.
    Anyway, Leicester had a player called Billy Hughes playing for them, and a supporter obviously wasn’t happy with the effort that the former FA Cup winner was putting in.

The ball went out of play quite near where we were standing and the unhappy fan shouted out… “Oi! Hughes! You need sh@66ing with a frosty mop!”.

Hughes must have been no more than 20’ away, and I spent the rest of the game with the hood of my parker tight over my head, trying to hide the fact that I was laughing.
    Lol

Anyone remember the one eared Echo seller with the long coat and cloth cap back in the 60s? Armful of Echos shouting “Caaaardiff City gonna win today, Caaaaardiff City gonna win today”, I wonder if he ever actually went in to witness his lies?

I remember the phantom whistler on the bobbank.
    He used to whistle to the tune of "just because your losing"
    At random times even when the score was 0-0!

I remember my old man remarking on Lyndon Jones when he'd grown a beard.
    Bloody hell he's swallowed a cat.

at cardiff city..."what a match! we won"

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I remember my old man remarking on Lyndon Jones when he'd grown a beard.
    Bloody hell he's swallowed a cat.
    I always rated Lyndon Jones, as well :-(

I always remember my dad shouting 'its a gift' for an easy attempt on goal after a mistake, which isn't uncommon at all, but I just specifically remember him shouting it and picturing the ball wrapped in wrapping paper and to this day I think of the same image when I hear it.

I had a friend once who used to shout 'awooga' like Kris Akabusi once and I didn't really know if he was doing it ironically (kinda funny) or not

We're the greatest team in football is the weirdest one as clearly we are not and never have been

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    We're the greatest team in football is the weirdest one as clearly we are not and never have been
    And also every other club songs a different version of it (by far the greatest team..the world has ever seen)

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I remember the phantom whistler on the bobbank.
    He used to whistle to the tune of "just because your losing"
    At random times even when the score was 0-0!
    LOL now you mention this, I remember the whistle

Anyone who sat or stood near Mr D. Hunt in his heyday could reel off any number of comments here. Trouble is I can't recall any apart from
    PIKEEEY

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post

I remember my father shouting something similar. His was "You need stuffing with a ragman's trumpet".

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Anyone who sat or stood near Mr D. Hunt in his heyday could reel off any number of comments here. Trouble is I can't recall any apart from
    PIKEEEY
    We actually sat near him for one season, he spent most his time shouting Neil, Neil, NEIL to Alexander, literally shouting it all game ffs lol

In the old family enclosure days under the grandstand an old wag would wait for the whistle at kick off and shout at the linesman

You and the ref have been shocking 🤯.....get a grip on the game !

About 3 or 4 times a season

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I remember my father shouting something similar. His was "You need stuffing with a ragman's trumpet".
    That is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    PIKEEEY
    "C'mon the Fiiiiiiish!" then laughs at himself, at least 10 times per game.

Funny but irritating at the same time.