+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Speedway

Speedway

Anyone else go down tonight? Decent track, for once, and unpredictable right to the end. The British lads all found different ways to get themselves eliminated (Steve Worrall showed respect for the local bye-laws by not exceeding 20mph all evening) which made for a slightly anticlimactic final but a good meeting all the same. Some rumours of it going back to Wembley next year but I can't see that happening.

Re: Speedway

I used to love my Newport Speedway nights and the sight of Phil Crump coming of the boards , lose grit flying everywhere? Sadly for me , it doesn't seem the same sport .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I used to love my Newport Speedway nights and the sight of Phil Crump coming of the boards , lose grit flying everywhere? Sadly for me , it doesn't seem the same sport .
    Definitely the same sport. It was motorbike riders going round an oval track when it started 100 years ago, still was on Saturday. Maybe you've seen some greyhounds going round an oval track and got confused?

It's a sport in decline over here though. There was talk of speedway being the second biggest spectator sport in Britain (after football) at one point but there are only 19 tracks left now. Monmore Green, home of Wolverhampton since 1928, is due to close at the end of this season, Peterborough's track too.

I'm not sure what started the decline. British champion Kenny Carter killing his wife then turning the gun on himself in '86 wasn't exactly great PR for the sport but the rot seemed to be setting in before that. Britain still has three of the best riders in the world (and one of the best tracks in the world at Belle Vue) but while the sport thrives in Poland and Sweden, it continues to struggle here. Hard to see a way back for it either.

I find speedway as tedious as formula 1 , horse racing , swimming , cycling etc

I know people enjoy these events and get pleasure out of them but one of the reasons for the decline must be that people have got better things to do

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Definitely the same sport. It was motorbike riders going round an oval track when it started 100 years ago, still was on Saturday. Maybe you've seen some greyhounds going round an oval track and got confused?

It's a sport in decline over here though. There was talk of speedway being the second biggest spectator sport in Britain (after football) at one point but there are only 19 tracks left now. Monmore Green, home of Wolverhampton since 1928, is due to close at the end of this season, Peterborough's track too.

I'm not sure what started the decline. British champion Kenny Carter killing his wife then turning the gun on himself in '86 wasn't exactly great PR for the sport but the rot seemed to be setting in before that. Britain still has three of the best riders in the world (and one of the best tracks in the world at Belle Vue) but while the sport thrives in Poland and Sweden, it continues to struggle here. Hard to see a way back for it either.
    I think you have hit on the problem

100 years of riders going round and round an oval track

The people have seen through it

Maybe if they introduced potholes etc

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think you have hit on the problem

100 years of riders going round and round an oval track

The people have seen through it

Maybe if they introduced potholes etc
    To be fair, it's about a thousand times more sophisticated than the kind of football you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    To be fair, it's about a thousand times more sophisticated than the kind of football you like.
    😂

Fair point , well made

However it's like sex

Simple tactics win the prize

anyone watching cars go round a track for 10 hours needs to take a good hard look at themselves.

This is the fella that I remember from Friday nights at Somerton Park

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Mauger

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    anyone watching cars go round a track for 10 hours needs to take a good hard look at themselves.
    As does anyone who juggles kiwifruits while sitting in a bucket full of baked beans, what's your point here? The longest race took 57 seconds on Saturday and there wasn't a car in sight.