+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Education Secretary in “off mike” rant

Education Secretary in “off mike” rant

Re: Education Secretary in “off mike” rant

SEVEN education secretaries in FIVE years.

Who is Mike?

When you consider the thankless task she had, I though she did quite well on her rounds of the studios yesterday, but then there was that moment straight out of the Thick of It

Seriously, as Rjk's post points out, the pigeons are coming home to roost for the Government regarding austerity decisions taken around a dozen years ago on the basis that it will be someone else's problem to sort out - because of their longevity though, they're finding that it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When you consider the thankless task she had, I though she did quite well on her rounds of the studios yesterday, but then there was that moment straight out of the Thick of It

Seriously, as Rjk's post points out, the pigeons are coming home to roost for the Government regarding austerity decisions taken around a dozen years ago on the basis that it will be someone else's problem to sort out - because of their longevity though, they're finding that it isn't.
    The pigeons have been coming home for a long time. Grenfell was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Haven't there been tests on building safety done (before Wales from what I heard yesterday) and then action taken before there was an incident? The timing is a nightmare for people starting school, but that's going to happen sometimes. Isn't this what is supposed to happen? Or are govt bodies supposed to do tests but they are never supposed to expose anything?

Some of this stuff starts to sound very conspiratorial guys.

Loads of buildings in Cardiff had Grenfell style cladding. There's questions to ask but the answers won't be found if they are skewed to fit a wider narrative

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if you remove 20230905_100926.jpg

if you remove Norway, Switzerland and the US from the peer countries, then we are a clear outlier

Back in the 70's whilst at St. Illtyds, we had to vacate the school and went to the then empty school on Newport Road just by Clifton street, I think it was the old Cardiff High in the previous years, St Illtyds was condemned as it had used High alumina cement concrete when building , from memory (which is shite!!) I think the problem was to do with an asbestos risk. Doing things on the cheap and without safety consideration isn't new when it comes to public spending, it's traditional, stuffed brown envelopes take precedence.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Haven't there been tests on building safety done (before Wales from what I heard yesterday) and then action taken before there was an incident? The timing is a nightmare for people starting school, but that's going to happen sometimes. Isn't this what is supposed to happen? Or are govt bodies supposed to do tests but they are never supposed to expose anything?

Some of this stuff starts to sound very conspiratorial guys.
    Or maybe you can’t see beyond your bias. Go back to the 80s when feed for cattle had to plant based, then Thatcher’s Government clear the way for cheaper animal based foodstuffs and a few years down the line, we get CJD appearing. TheTories then deregulate financial regulations, Labour go further along that route and 2008 happens (Labour aren’t without guilt when it comes to Grenfell either). Deregulation sounds very appealing on first hearing with all of that stuff about cutting Government red tape etc. but usually those regulations are in place for a reason and removing them will have consequences down the line.

I fell for the austerity line thirteen years ago and believed when they said there was no other alternative, but what did it achieve?

Loads of buildings in Cardiff had Grenfell style cladding. There's questions to ask but the answers won't be found if they are skewed to fit a wider narrative
    No skewing at all. As should be clear from all the previous threads that discussed Grenfell the major cause of the disaster was the 2010 austerity programme that gutted local and central government inspection and enforcement services and especially the failure of the coalition government - and subsequent Tory government - to implement the findings of the Lakanal House enquiry and inquest.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Or maybe you can’t see beyond your bias. Go back to the 80s when feed for cattle had to plant based, then Thatcher’s Government clear the way for cheaper animal based foodstuffs and a few years down the line, we get CJD appearing. TheTories then deregulate financial regulations, Labour go further along that route and 2008 happens (Labour aren’t without guilt when it comes to Grenfell either). Deregulation sounds very appealing on first hearing with all of that stuff about cutting Government red tape etc. but usually those regulations are in place for a reason and removing them will have consequences down the line.

I fell for the austerity line thirteen years ago and believed when they said there was no other alternative, but what did it achieve?
    What bias? Schools in Wales and England have been found through tests to have a weakness and action is being taken before something happens.

This is the system working. Yes, chaotic timing but that's how things go something.

The need to create some grand conspiracy about things all the time is a bit stretched sometimes

Duplicate post - this site is sticking again!

No skewing at all. As should be clear from all the previous threads that discussed Grenfell the major cause of the disaster was the 2010 austerity programme that gutted local and central government inspection and enforcement services and especially the failure of the coalition government - and subsequent Tory government - to implement the findings of the Lakanal House enquiry and inquest.
    Mate of mine lives in accommodation in Cardiff Bay built in 2007-8 with the Grenfell style cladding.

I do take your wider point on Grenfell though, deregulation is an issue there, but tying everything to Grenfell is just being political.

If the authorities weren't testing school buildings at all, I'd agree. But they recently tightened them didn't they? And they acted on it.

What frustrates me is that I have kids in schools in Wales, so why aren't we talking about that? It's like everything needs to be turned into a (borderline conspiratorial) anti govt crusade. I just don't think that the reality here..and often other times also

on a similar note, I cannot remember a time at any point in my life when the condition of the roads are as bad as they are today - all across the uk

on a similar note, I cannot remember a time at any point in my life when the condition of the roads are as bad as they are today - all across the uk
    And then we have the situation whereby the effluent affects everyone but the affluent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    And then we have the situation whereby the effluent affects everyone but the affluent.
    is there an area of life in Britain that hasn't gone to shit under the Tories?

What bias? Schools in Wales and England have been found through tests to have a weakness and action is being taken before something happens.

This is the system working. Yes, chaotic timing but that's how things go something.

The need to create some grand conspiracy about things all the time is a bit stretched sometimes
    Your bias of course - as always, you’re trying to defend the UK Government. You are way, way off the mark to claim what I say is just some conspiracy - anyone who who gets rid of things like health and safety regulations and financial controls on banks are running the risks of facing the consequences of their actions, that’s common sense, not some conspiracy theory.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Yep
    https://news.sky.com/story/uk-spends...0same%20period.

a similar story there

Mate of mine lives in accommodation in Cardiff Bay built in 2007-8 with the Grenfell style cladding.

I do take your wider point on Grenfell though, deregulation is an issue there, but tying everything to Grenfell is just being political.

If the authorities weren't testing school buildings at all, I'd agree. But they recently tightened them didn't they? And they acted on it.

What frustrates me is that I have kids in schools in Wales, so why aren't we talking about that? It's like everything needs to be turned into a (borderline conspiratorial) anti govt crusade. I just don't think that the reality here..and often other times also
    Oh please feck off you raving tory bore

You utter tory defending bore

Go and hide somewhere out of the sun ff sake

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Oh please feck off you raving tory bore
    Jokes aside do Tories will win the GE next year ?

I think it could be a coalition government.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Jokes aside do Tories will win the GE next year ?

I think it could be a coalition government.
    no chance, they've ****ed everything up