+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Council declares bankruptcy

Re: Birmingham Council declares bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The backpay is part of the situation but the reduction in block grant since 2010 is the key
    If that is the case every local authority in the country would be bankrupt. The reality is that a Labour Council underpaid their staff and failed to live within its means.

In for the shtz'n giggles and the blame qame.

It is correct that mismanagement can happen anywhere under any party. But when it was a Tory Council, Sludge not only had a different tune, he even started the thread on it!

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...light=Thurrock

Virtually every Local Authority in the UK of all political colour have had to deal with historical Equal Pay claims. I don't know the specifics of Birmingham but I would imagine that their specific discriminatory pay and conditions of service were no different to anyone else's. The one difference, of course, is the sheer size of Birmingham Council. Many Local Authorities sorted their Equal Pay issues some considerable time ago. In Cardiff they settled their outstanding Equal Pay claims and instituted an evaluated non-discriminatory pay structure and conditions of service 11 years ago, I think. Many other LAs have sorted this problem as well. Quite why Birmingham have not sorted it completely I don't know but the longer you leave it, the longer the discrimination and underpayment of women and men continues resulting in increasing compensation. It's a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Lovely run Sheffield a beacon of light :

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-66305959
    Several Sheffield City council staff sacked or resigned over fraud - report
    Think the Labour MP went sign for fraud..
    I have no local knowledge of these fraud cases but the article you linked said only some of them were staff and the level of fraud uncovered last financial year was in line with the national level - in councils of all political colours and none. In other words ‘non story’ other than the fact that Sheffield council published the results and the local media reported it.

The backpay is part of the situation but the reduction in block grant since 2010 is the key
    Without looking at the rest of the thread, I think it's safe to assume that few know that the Tory Government changed local authority funding in 2013, allowing them to keep half of business rates in return for a reduction in block funding. This was seen as a way to incentivise councils to promote economic growth and, therefore, increases in business rates while reducing central government spending. Of course, such a move has meant that the most wealthy council areas have benefitted the most, while poorer areas have struggled.

Once again I see idiotic comments that suggest council spending is just like any other and they should live within their means. However, councils have certain essential services they are legally obliged to maintain and many are barely doing much more than that. The notion that, if you cut funding, you cut waste has a tiny flaw in it - as Blackadder would say, "it's bollocks". No business would ever consider running a council.

It's a fantastic sleight of hand. Council taxes rise but council funding drops overall so services are cut. People question what they are paying their council tax for, without realising the whole story. These are the same people who moan about towns dying because of council business rates, yet councils need those rates more than ever, providing their third largest funding pool.

So, what do the right want? Reductions in council tax, lower business rates, less money from central government, but cutting wastage will mean services can be provided at a good level. Anyone really thinking that is a total idiot.

No Birmingham is labour led

As are most councils that get into financial bother

But it's got nothing to do with that which is the point you were trying to push

But I am afraid you have fallen on your ass
    How about a Labour administration at the Senedd that this year have over spent by 20% of the budget. Drippy Drakeford spunked up over £900,000,000 without even realising. That was obviously all Thatcher's fault as well.

Eric - maybe if Birmingham Council paid their staff equal pay in the first place - they wouldnt have wasted other money - which they didnt have. Brum Council have nearly gone bust a few times because of the idiots that run it.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Eric - maybe if Birmingham Council paid their staff equal pay in the first place - they wouldnt have wasted other money - which they didnt have. Brum Council have nearly gone bust a few times because of the idiots that run it.
    If my aunty had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

Any reason you've mentioned me in your comment given my only contribution to this thread had nothing to do with Birmingham, but councils in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    If that is the case every local authority in the country would be bankrupt. The reality is that a Labour Council underpaid their staff and failed to live within its means.
    Do you think that since 2010 the current mess at Birmingham is a one off and following that do you think that the financial problems at councils is down to ......well what ?

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    How about a Labour administration at the Senedd that this year have over spent by 20% of the budget. Drippy Drakeford spunked up over £900,000,000 without even realising. That was obviously all Thatcher's fault as well.
    What about the Conservative administration at Westminster?

Any issues there since 2010 ?

I am just having a cup of tea , I can wait

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Without looking at the rest of the thread, I think it's safe to assume that few know that the Tory Government changed local authority funding in 2013, allowing them to keep half of business rates in return for a reduction in block funding. This was seen as a way to incentivise councils to promote economic growth and, therefore, increases in business rates while reducing central government spending. Of course, such a move has meant that the most wealthy council areas have benefitted the most, while poorer areas have struggled.

Once again I see idiotic comments that suggest council spending is just like any other and they should live within their means. However, councils have certain essential services they are legally obliged to maintain and many are barely doing much more than that. The notion that, if you cut funding, you cut waste has a tiny flaw in it - as Blackadder would say, "it's bollocks". No business would ever consider running a council.

It's a fantastic sleight of hand. Council taxes rise but council funding drops overall so services are cut. People question what they are paying their council tax for, without realising the whole story. These are the same people who moan about towns dying because of council business rates, yet councils need those rates more than ever, providing their third largest funding pool.

So, what do the right want? Reductions in council tax, lower business rates, less money from central government, but cutting wastage will mean services can be provided at a good level. Anyone really thinking that is a total idiot.
    The right don't care

As long as they are OK

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It is correct that mismanagement can happen anywhere under any party. But when it was a Tory Council, Sludge not only had a different tune, he even started the thread on it!

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...light=Thurrock
    I was 100 percent right

Look how quiet all the tory boys were on that thread

All they could say was well what about Labour

Which proves my point

Didn’t Surrey have to go begging last year?
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 05-09-23 at 21:09. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Didn’t Surrey have to go begging last year?
    Several tory run councils have been in serious financial trouble

But when it's a tory council it's not financial mismanagement ......

It's " unfortunate "

Unlike those lefty Labour types

Bloody untrustworthy

I was 100 percent right

Look how quiet all the tory boys were on that thread

All they could say was well what about Labour

Which proves my point
    Probably bored of your endless politicking

What about the Conservative administration at Westminster?

Any issues there since 2010 ?

I am just having a cup of tea , I can wait
    OK.......

The millions lost through dodgy track and trace ......conservatives

This school thing ......the conservatives have been warned about this for ten years ......that's going to cost the country an absolute fortune

Is that not on your list of financial shame ?

Don't fall asleep on me

Probably bored of your endless politicking
    Feck me that's ironic coming from you

Well at least one of you lot is awake though eh

Feck me that's ironic coming from you

Well at least one of you lot is awake though eh
    Not really Sludgey. I have always clearly stated that good and bad exist within and happen under all parties.

A handful of people on here don't, they present things as good and evil and I fundamentally disagree with that. It so happens that the only people on here who think such things tend to support the Labour party, but if anyone came out with guff in the opposite direction, I'd pick up on that too. It just doesn't really happen.

Not really Sludgey. I have always clearly stated that good and bad exist within and happen under all parties.

A handful of people on here don't, they present things as good and evil and I fundamentally disagree with that. It so happens that the only people on here who think such things tend to support the Labour party, but if anyone came out with guff in the opposite direction, I'd pick up on that too. It just doesn't really happen.
    Absolute hogwash

You are a raving tory and plenty of us see through right through your whataboutery

You must think we came down in the last shower of rain

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

So locking down longer when there was no need and damaging the Welsh economy more than other countries was bad then, I'm confused, you said that was great?

International

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Very interesting discussion. i also work for a council but in another country. It is also underfunded and if you wanted to burn money, just give it to a council. just my opinion
    Of Course but some a lot more than others!

Vivere in te modo - live within your means.

Several tory run councils have been in serious financial trouble

But when it's a tory council it's not financial mismanagement ......

It's " unfortunate "

Unlike those lefty Labour types

Bloody untrustworthy
    In the last few years 2 Tory's councils , 1 lib Dem and 3 Labour Councils have hit the rocks.
    According to The Guardian newspaper - Croydon Council (Labour) has gone bust 3 times - so if you count instances then it's 5 to Labour. Motto of the story - Vivere in te modo - live within your means.

Brum council 19milion IT system half delivered and cost so far £100,000,000. Maybe there should be a test that Council leaders are fit for running an organisation before they are appointed ?

Absolute hogwash

You are a raving tory and plenty of us see through right through your whataboutery

You must think we came down in the last shower of rain
    Nah, be fair - he nearly always outlines his even handedness before going on to prove he was talking rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Nah, be fair - he nearly always outlines his even handedness before going on to prove he was talking rubbish.
    It's not hogwash though is it. You spend a lot of your time on here - why not find an example of me claiming one party is better than the other? In fact, you'll be wasting your time..go for some fresh air instead!