+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 0 - 0 SOUTH KOREA. Match thread

FT: WALES 0 - 0 SOUTH KOREA. Match thread

Thursday 7th September, ko 7:45pm
    Cardiff City Stadium

The match no one wants, not even our manager

Match facts

• This is the first international meeting between Wales and South Korea.
    • Wales last faced an Asian nation at the 2022 World Cup, losing 2-0 to Iran. Before that, they beat China 6-0 in the China Cup in March 2018.
    • Wales have won just one of their past 12 matches in all competitions (three draws, eight defeats), a 1-0 home win over Latvia in March in a European Championship qualifier.
    • South Korea are winless in their past five matches (two draws, three defeats) since beating Portugal 2-1 at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
    • Wales have won just four of their past 21 friendly matches (seven draws, 10 defeats) and none of their past four (three draws, one defeat) since a 1-0 home win over Mexico in March 2021.
    • Since a run in which they scored 10 consecutive goals from open play between September 2020 and March 2021, only 14 of Wales' past 30 goals have been scored in open play (47%), scoring their other 16 goals via corners (6), penalties (5), throw-ins (2) and free-kicks (3).

Wales host South Korea in a friendly on Thursday but manager Robert Page is making it clear his priorities lie elsewhere.

On Monday, Wales visit Latvia in desperate need of a win to revive their ailing Euro 2024 qualifying campaign.

As a result, Page is expected to make wholesale changes against South Korea with a view to keeping his key players fresh for the trip to Riga.

"I'd rather not play it, being completely honest with you," said Page.

"We have to take the friendly. We've had a couple of injuries anyway. The most important game for me is Monday and we're having to manage players.

"I've already got a plan in place, what players, what minutes they've played this season, who needs more minutes than others.

"There will be plenty of substitutions. There will be some at half-time, some at the hour mark. We'll be trying to get those players off the pitch unscathed and getting them ready for Monday."

Page is under pressure after defeats against Armenia and Turkey in June consigned Wales to fourth place in their European Championship qualifying group with four games left to play.

The former Northampton Town and Port Vale boss had already faced criticism after a disappointing World Cup in which his side exited at the group stage.

Wales have won only once since beating Ukraine in the 2022 World Cup play-off final - a 1-0 home victory over Latvia in March - but captain Aaron Ramsey has led the chorus of player support for Page.

"Everybody in that changing room understands the difficulties involved," Page said.

"It's not just about winning games of football now, it's about the bigger picture. Everybody wants to win games of football but they understand, the senior players, that we have to start introducing younger players.

"It's nice to hear that [backing from players]. I haven't read it but I know just by being in the changing room, how I am around the players and how they are around me, that I've got their full backing and that means a lot. That means the world."

With Wales having won only one of their past 12 games, a modest crowd is expected at Cardiff City Stadium for the visit of South Korea.

At one stage there were fears the attendance would fall below the 7,666 present to watch a friendly with Belarus in September 2019.

And although it was announced 48 hours before the South Korea game that 11,500 tickets had been sold, the attendance is set to fall well below the capacity crowds Wales have grown used to in recent years for competitive fixtures.

"It's important for us to get some minutes together on the pitch again, to try and work on a few things before we go into the big game [in Latvia]," Ramsey said.

"We know how important the fans are for us. They've been instrumental over the years and hopefully this can continue for a very long period.

"We're very proud to represent them and the way they've handled themselves and conducted themselves over the years has been second to none. We're a really proud nation and hopefully we can get behind each other to get over the line."

Meanwhile, South Korea will be aiming for their first win under head coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

The former Germany and United States manager was appointed in February and has overseen two draws and two defeats in his four friendly fixtures in charge to date.

The 59-year-old, a World Cup winner as a player with Germany in 1990, succeeded Paulo Bento, who ended four years as head coach by stepping down after guiding South Korea to the last 16 of last year's World Cup in Qatar.

Page is not hiding the fact that he plans to make as many changes as possible for this South Korea fixture as he prioritises Monday's game in Latvia.

Bournemouth striker Kieffer Moore and Portsmouth midfielder Joe Morrell should feature at the Cardiff City Stadium, as they are suspended for the Latvia match.

Leeds United winger Daniel James is missing through injury, while Ramsey is among the first-team players set to be rested and new Tottenham signing Brennan Johnson could feature for a limited time.

"It's about looking at the amount of minutes Aaron's played," said Page.

"That one takes care of itself. Aaron's played the most football he's played [in a long time], he's off the back of 90 minutes. I think that's an obvious one. I think you know where I'm going with that one.

"With regards to Brennan, I was at Manchester United and he played [for Nottingham Forest] for an hour, he was outstanding.

"He's not played over the weekend because of the move. There will be minutes he will get that will be factored into Monday."

Re: WALES v SOUTH KOREA. Match thread

The missus is South Korean so looking forward to this one.

Korea will be a test - they run and run until the last second, even in a friendly

Picks 2 suspended players, leaves them on the bench for the only game they can play

Ffs Rob

Is it just on S4C with the Welsh commentary?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Picks 2 suspended players, leaves them on the bench for the only game they can play

Ffs Rob
    Was going to say the same thing. Completely pointless picks

He's lost the plot completely.

Elsewhere, Siopis starts for Greece against Netherlands.

Can't wait will it sell out ?

Nice move then, good save

Bit of a non event so far, Jordan James is doing quite well so far mind.

Greece 3-0 down at half time and Siopis has been yellow carded.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bit of a non event so far, Jordan James is doing quite well so far mind.

Greece 3-0 down at half time and Siopis has been yellow carded.
    Agreed, James has been good. Would be happy for him to partner Ampadu in Latvia

A concern though is that I don't see where Ramsey fits into this formation

Ramsey's coming on

If he gets feckin injured here...

Agreed, James has been good. Would be happy for him to partner Ampadu in Latvia

A concern though is that I don't see where Ramsey fits into this formation
    We’ll see now, he’s just come on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We’ll see now, he’s just come on.
    Seems to be playing slightly narrower than Wilson

Wes Burns' introduction makes it 2 City academy attendees on the pitch?

Ramsey's coming on

If he gets feckin injured here...
    No point whatsoever in playing him!

Livened up a bit after the substitutions.

Big Nev living up to his nickname

What are they chanting? Been going on last 10 mins

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysFeelinBlue View Post
    "Brooks will tear you apart again" according to BBC

Brooks will tear you apart

Have put TV on to mute. Getting on my nerves now.

Weird not to see 10 mins ET

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Have put TV on to mute. Getting on my nerves now.
    It was mind numbing. What sort of person wants to sing the same damn thing for so long? Back to the game, not a bad work out but a job to see where the next win is coming from. Moore showed why he can’t play for Bournemouth. He really should be scoring from those chances, especially the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It was mind numbing. What sort of person wants to sing the same damn thing for so long? Back to the game, not a bad work out but a job to see where the next win is coming from. Moore showed why he can’t play for Bournemouth. He really should be scoring from those chances, especially the last one.
    I didn't think much of the atmosphere in general. On the telly it sounded like a mass gathering of school kids.

Strange how some got so worked up about that chant, I presume I was not alone in not being bothered by it in the slightest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I missed the first five minutes of the second half, so maybe that was when Moore was missing chances, I only saw the header against the bar that he, arguably, should have scored from.