+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Most Dramatic End to a Game ?

Re: The Most Dramatic End to a Game ?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    My memory tells me Ryan Nicholls but TOBW's book tells me Tony Bird got the winner as well as the equaliser. Both right at the end of the game.
    You are correct. The Rollo incident, where he was knocked out was a year or so later, against Southend in the League cup. Tony Bird now has his own mobile dog grooming business. I regularly see him driving around Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    got to be this

What a moment.
    In terms of drama, the last derby, for opposite reasons.
    I’d say my favourite for near end of game drama involving city though is .. Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    The Stoke play off game
    Don't go there. Just don't 🤬go there!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You are correct. The Rollo incident, where he was knocked out was a year or so later, against Southend in the League cup. Tony Bird now has his own mobile dog grooming business. I regularly see him driving around Cardiff.
    I'm glad you didn't ask me to guess what he does now, this thread would've become a ten-pager. He wasn't exactly a club legend here but I didn't mind him, just wished he could be a bit better but it never quite happened for him. The 90s version of Mark Harris I guess.

I immediately thought of the Wrexham FA Cup game in 1977 as mentioned above, but what about those two matches in 00/01 within three of four days of each other against Lincoln and Hartlepool where we trailed 2-1 going into added time and ended up winning 3-2?

Didn’t Crewe equalise and score a winner both in injury time against once at Ninian Park mid 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Doesn’t involve city but first game I thought off.

The Hamburg ECWC Semi- Final when the other other Bob Wilson let the winner through his hands in the last minute.

I'm glad you didn't ask me to guess what he does now, this thread would've become a ten-pager. He wasn't exactly a club legend here but I didn't mind him, just wished he could be a bit better but it never quite happened for him. The 90s version of Mark Harris I guess.
    Lol.

I remember seeing Tony Bird scoring twice away at Standard Liege and having high hopes for him, but as you say, he always felt a bit like Derek Showers/Mark Harris: he had something about him but not quite enough at the level that we were playing at, at the time.

(without getting too far off the point, that tie against Standard Liege was memorable for so many reasons, aside from the absolute drubbing that we received, and the inevitable stories of crowd trouble)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    The Hamburg ECWC Semi- Final when the other other Bob Wilson let the winner through his hands in the last minute.
    My Dad used to talk about this until his dying day.

He was scarred by it. Thank God that I was only 2 years old at the time!

In that wolves game, the keeper is off his line before the ball is struck for both penalties. Am I correct in saying both should have been retaken?

Quote Originally Posted by NTB View Post
    In that wolves game, the keeper is off his line before the ball is struck for both penalties. Am I correct in saying both should have been retaken?
    Certainly under today's tighter interpretation of the keeper being on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I immediately thought of the Wrexham FA Cup game in 1977 as mentioned above, but what about those two matches in 00/01 within three of four days of each other against Lincoln and Hartlepool where we trailed 2-1 going into added time and ended up winning 3-2?
    I was about to write the same when I came across your post. Glad I did because although the Gavin Gordon inspired Lincoln immediately came to mind I couldn't recall the other team. Two quite extraordinary endings within such a short space of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Lol.

I remember seeing Tony Bird scoring twice away at Standard Liege and having high hopes for him, but as you say, he always felt a bit like Derek Showers/Mark Harris: he had something about him but not quite enough at the level that we were playing at, at the time.

(without getting too far off the point, that tie against Standard Liege was memorable for so many reasons, aside from the absolute drubbing that we received, and the inevitable stories of crowd trouble)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUyK5AIUEO0

Think those goals are here. Cardiff legend.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Following the city ?

I think we got over it quickly, but imagine if we hadn't gone up, we'd still be sore about it now. I've never seen anything like it, at least I can LOL now!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUyK5AIUEO0

Think those goals are here. Cardiff legend.
    Thanks.

There are some excellent goals in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Following the city ?

Fond memories of watching most of that season’s televised games in an old haunt (the Castle pub, Dulwich), felt like we were on the box every weekend. I can recall there was a Fulham fan a couple tables over celebrating the penalty misses and result.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football...ague-prospects 🤔

Thanks.

There are some excellent goals in that video.
    Agreed. There was something there but he just couldn't show it regularly enough, frustrating really. Darren Adams the same.

Agreed. There was something there but he just couldn't show it regularly enough, frustrating really. Darren Adams the same.
    I don’t recall Darren Adams.

I just looked at his Wikipedia page and still don’t :-o

I don’t recall Darren Adams.

I just looked at his Wikipedia page and still don’t :-o
    Ha, no shame in that. His main claim to fame here was a fantastic volley against Wrexham on his first start for us in early '94. It's at around 2.33 on this compilation (which is worth a watch if you haven't seen it before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oodQt0Sjijc

Another one who had something but just couldn't show enough of it on match days, he probably ran rings round everyone in training. Maybe a Matty Kennedy if you want a modern day comparison.

TOBW's said before on here about how a lot of the players from the 80s and 90s that we think fondly of wouldn't have got anywhere near our squad these days. It's obvious really but it's true. Jason Perry would've been released when he was about 14 and I'm not sure if Stant or Dale would've even got past Revell. On the flip side of that, I guess players like Vaulks and Pack would be seen as club legends if they'd been with us back then and we'd have thought we'd found the new Maradona if Kennedy or Daehli had rocked up.

playoff semi vs Leicester

Ha, no shame in that. His main claim to fame here was a fantastic volley against Wrexham on his first start for us in early '94. It's at around 2.33 on this compilation (which is worth a watch if you haven't seen it before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oodQt0Sjijc

Another one who had something but just couldn't show enough of it on match days, he probably ran rings round everyone in training. Maybe a Matty Kennedy if you want a modern day comparison.

TOBW's said before on here about how a lot of the players from the 80s and 90s that we think fondly of wouldn't have got anywhere near our squad these days. It's obvious really but it's true. Jason Perry would've been released when he was about 14 and I'm not sure if Stant or Dale would've even got past Revell. On the flip side of that, I guess players like Vaulks and Pack would be seen as club legends if they'd been with us back then and we'd have thought we'd found the new Maradona if Kennedy or Daehli had rocked up.
    Lol. A good post.

Didn’t some people say that Daehli was the new Iniesta though…..? :-/

Blimey I just watched some of that video…..I was in the away end with my Dad for the Ooh Ah Paul Millar goal at Birmingham and remember how no one could understand how and if it had gone in!

And the Jason Fowler chip against Brentford is one of my favourites. We won 4-1 I think and it poured with rain.

Lol. A good post.

Didn’t some people say that Daehli was the new Iniesta though…..? :-/

Blimey I just watched some of that video…..I was in the away end with my Dad for the Ooh Ah Paul Millar goal at Birmingham and remember how no one could understand how and if it had gone in!

And the Jason Fowler chip against Brentford is one of my favourites. We won 4-1 I think and it poured with rain.
    Some crackers in there. I was at Birmingham too, at Oxford for Faerber's and a few others too. Good memories.

Talking about Daehli, here's a game that deserves a place in this thread.

https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/1120501