+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Well, well, well.

Well, well, well.

I’ve been aware of our former twenty goal in a season striker and Wales goalscorer for about a decade (think I first knew of him when he was at Yeovil) and I’ve just been told that I’ve been spelling his name wrong all of that time. I wasn’t having that and went straight on line to get the proof that the person concerned was talking rubbish - instead, I found that he was right!

As I get older, I struggle more with names - it’s not a good habit to have when you’re writing a blog about a football team and I can be using up to twenty names in every piece I do. Last night’s was the hardest piece I’ve ever had to write because we’re talking about a 0-0 that the Welsh manager didn’t want to take place and this was reflected by me getting lots of names wrong mainly because I had so little interest in what I was writing. So, for example, Joe Rodon became Chris after a mediocre centre forward we had nearly forty years ago, but another error was just repeating something I’d done hundreds of times before.

Somehow, I doubt it if Kieffer Moore reads my blog every week, but, if he does, can I apologise to him for calling him Keiffer for all of this time. I would have sworn blind that I was spelling his name correctly (having done a search for the name Kieffer Moore on here, I’m not the only person making the mistake, there are quite a few Keiffer’s on here and they’re not all me!) and would have gone to my grave believing I was if it wasn’t fot what my friend said to me tonight.

Re: Well, well, well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve been aware of our former twenty goal in a season striker and Wales goalscorer for about a decade (think I first knew of him when he was at Yeovil) and I’ve just been told that I’ve been spelling his name wrong all of that time. I wasn’t having that and went straight on line to get the proof that the person concerned was talking rubbish - instead, I found that he was right!

As I get older, I struggle more with names - it’s not a good habit to have when you’re writing a blog about a football team and I can be using up to twenty names in every piece I do. Last night’s was the hardest piece I’ve ever had to write because we’re talking about a 0-0 that the Welsh manager didn’t want to take place and this was reflected by me getting lots of names wrong mainly because I had so little interest in what I was writing. So, for example, Joe Rodon became Chris after a mediocre centre forward we had nearly forty years ago, but another error was just repeating something I’d done hundreds of times before.

Somehow, I doubt it if Kieffer Moore reads my blog every week, but, if he does, can I apologise to him for calling him Keiffer for all of this time. I would have sworn blind that I was spelling his name correctly (having done a search for the name Kieffer Moore on here, I’m not the only person making the mistake, there are quite a few Keiffer’s on here and they’re not all me!) and would have gone to my grave believing I was if it wasn’t fot what my friend said to me tonight.
    Chris is Joe's uncle. He wasn't very good.

Just remember i before e when sounding ee

Trouble is caused by Keith being spelt with 'ei', but Kieffer being spelt with 'ie'
    Easy mistake to make regarding the Boremuff striker

Keiffer More.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Just remember i before e when sounding ee
    Generally correct, but it doesn't work for people/place names.
    ( Keith, Sheila, Leith...)

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Keiffer More.
    Keiffer no more.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Keiffer no more.

Lochaber no more, (Kiefer) Sutherland no more
    Lewis no more, Skye no more