+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: About time we had a rugby World Cup thread?

Re: About time we had a rugby World Cup thread?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    you never know
    England or Argentina could go either way, I can not see them getting anything out of anyone else likely to be in the latter stages though

"I've got no doubt we'll win on Sunday" - Eddie Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Absolutely

Semi Finals ?
    Hopefully mate. Think they’ll be playing Argentina in the Qtrs. winnable if they play their A game.

great match. great day

That'll do! Completely dominant performance from Wales. Japan or Argentina in the quarter finals?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That'll do! Completely dominant performance from Wales. Japan or Argentina in the quarter finals?
    Brilliant wasnt it? City claim the smash and grab; Wales dominate and brutalise a shocking Aussie team. Two very different wins but equally enjoyable.

Jamie Roberts saying we’re going to win it now

A very Gatland like win, yes Australia were shockingly bad (what on earth’s happened to them?), but we were surprisingly good given so much of what we’ve seen in the past year - they’ve got to fancy themselves in the Quarter Finals after that.

That was superb. Very likely to be Argentina in the quarter final. Very winnable.

Yes, that was rather enjoyable wasn't it 👏

They'll be singing in Aberflyhalf tonight.

International

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Good performance by Wales. Think Anscombes doing some really good things since coming on. We blew a good chance at the end there though. Rees zammit didn't seem to realise where the try line was. But really can't work out why they all charged in to try and shove him over, was always going to be held up. Recycle the ball there, against a stretched defence and we probably end up going in under the posts. Hopefully those lost 7 points won't end up being costly.
    How will it be costly? We have qualified. The board is wiped clean for the 1/4 finals.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    How will it be costly? We have qualified. The board is wiped clean for the 1/4 finals.
    It was posted at half time. Hoping that the missed try opportunity wouldn't affect us winning the game.

In my lifetime (born 1987), I have never gone into a World Cup with lower expectations than I have this one.

I've also never seen us dismantle one of the top rugby nations like that before. In all phases of the game. Our scrum, my god.

That was the worst Australia side I've ever seen.

Oh and **** Eddie Jones

F60a42xWoAAewgX.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    In my lifetime (born 1987), I have never gone into a World Cup with lower expectations than I have this one.

I've also never seen us dismantle one of the top rugby nations like that before. In all phases of the game. Our scrum, my god.

Oh and **** Eddie Jones

F60a42xWoAAewgX.jpg
    Australia are not interested in rugby union

It's their 4th sport

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post

Oh and **** Eddie Jones

F60a42xWoAAewgX.jpg
    I think lessons were learnt from the England and Fiji games in closing out the win from being well ahead going into the last 20 mins

International

Not a big Rugby fan but it is the World Cup, we played very well and it's always nice seeing that little pr!ck Eddie miserable!

That was a very good defensive masterclass sporting Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Jamie Roberts saying we’re going to win it now

A very Gatland like win, yes Australia were shockingly bad (what on earth’s happened to them?), but we were surprisingly good given so much of what we’ve seen in the past year - they’ve got to fancy themselves in the Quarter Finals after that.
    You didn’t think Roberts was being serious did you?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You didn’t think Roberts was being serious did you?
    Of course not, hence the

Looks like the All Blacks have arrived at the party. They were 9/2 this morning to win the tournament. I’d say that’s worth a cheeky 10 or 20 quid of anyone’s money., especially with some of their injured players coming back.

Absolutely unbelievable by New Zealand, a real statement performance. Their forward pack seemed utterly possesed

Anybody justifying Italy's risk free place in a closed format 6 Nations after that needs to give their head a wobble. 20 years in the 6 Nations to serve up that. Relegation for that competition needed immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Anybody justifying Italy's risk free place in a closed format 6 Nations after that needs to give their head a wobble. 20 years in the 6 Nations to serve up that. Relegation for that competition needed immediately.
    I agree about Italy, let’s see what New Zealand do in the Quarter Finals before thinking they’re back.

2 years ago I was all for Italy just being dumped and replaced with Georgia, they'd made virtually no progress in 20 years, compared to the giant strides made by the likes of Japan and Argentina when exposed to regular top level tournaments. Do feel a bit sorry for Italy being judged solely on last night, as I don't think that's symbolic of the team they've been over the last 2 seasons.

But definitely agree, from a positive point of view that Georgia and Portugal have shown they deserve a shot. They'd do well to be worse after 20 years in the 6 nation's than Italy are.

Either 2 leagues with promotion and relegation. Or an extended tournament (could still have top 6 playing each other at traditional Feb/march times to finish tournament, but maybe have Romania, Georgia, Portugal, Spain games over the summer period that all count towards the tournament).

As or more importantly surely a time for world rugby to stump up the funds for a Georgian and maybe a joint Portuguese/Spanish club side to play in the URC .

I do worry that the chances of 6 nation's changes ended with the private equity investment though. I think TV audience/commercial revenue is going to be a lot more important to them than growing the game. Personally I'd love trips to Tbilisi and Lisbon, but I think the money men prefer Rome

There is absolutely zero justification for rugby's closed shops. It's such a remnant of the old boys network.

100% there should be promotion between the six nations and the European International Championships.

Imagine in a few years Wales playing away to Spain in the Bernabeu or visiting the beautiful city oh Tbilisi.

Rugby needs to open up

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There is absolutely zero justification for rugby's closed shops. It's such a remnant of the old boys network.

100% there should be promotion between the six nations and the European International Championships.

Imagine in a few years Wales playing away to Spain in the Bernabeu or visiting the beautiful city oh Tbilisi.

Rugby needs to open up
    My only issue with straight promotion/relegation is does it actually give the developing teams a proper chance. The evidence from Japan and Argentina shows that a consistent period in a top competition pays dividends. While obviously better than the current scenario, I do wonder if a year in and year out of the main comp would have no big impact on development and provide a stick for the cynics to beat the idea with. Wether in the 6nations or some other way, there should be a commitment for the likes of Georgia/Portugal to be playing at least 5 meaningful games against top sides a year. You're 100% right about the closed shop and it's an absolute disgrace