+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: About time we had a rugby World Cup thread?

Re: About time we had a rugby World Cup thread?

Argentina have been appalling, it's like they're trying to lose!

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Rugby Union is a shadow of the sport that it once was.
    It’s a war of defensive attrition now with huge blokes wrapping up man and ball and phase after phase of boring play.

In the interest of player safety and as a spectator sport could a rule change to leg tackles only improve things?
    The collision which led to the red card was between a fullback and a number seven (open side flanker). The first Welsh open side I can remember is John Taylor who I’d guess was an inch or two short of six foot and I doubt it if he weighed thirteen stone - I’d guess Curry weighs five stone more than Taylor did in his playing days. Is it an exaggeration to say your average international rugby player weighs about a third more than they did when it was an amateur sport? I don’t think it is, in fact it could be an under estimation.

American Footballers first started wearing protective clothing in the 1890s and I see no difference in the severity of collisions in the two sports now. I think the time has come to either start wearing some form of protective clothing or for drastic changes to the tackle laws as you suggest.

As for the game, it’s turning out that the sending off was the best thing that could have happened to England.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There was no intention by tualange in that tackle a few moments ago to grab his opponent

It was an assassination hit
    It was fine. Waist level, and an attempt to dislodge the ball. As big as the tackler is, the opposing player is just as big and able to cope with such a hit.

If Wales can somehow finish second in their group they will get a right drubbing off England in the quarters. Maybe better to quietly go out in the group stage…

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    If Wales can somehow finish second in their group they will get a right drubbing off England in the quarters. Maybe better to quietly go out in the group stage…
    I’ve seen nothing from England to suggest that. Argentina architects of their own downfall. There hasn’t been a decent move in the game. Dreadful.

Based on what? Argentina have spent the past 70 minutes shooting themselves in the foot

England have only benefitted from Argentina's ill-discipline. Hardly a world beating performance with all the points coming from the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The collision which led to the red card was between a fullback and a number seven (open side flanker). The first Welsh open side I can remember is John Taylor who I’d guess was an inch or two short of six foot and I doubt it if he weighed thirteen stone - I’d guess Curry weighs five stone more than Taylor did in his playing days. Is it an exaggeration to say your average international rugby player weighs about a third more than they did when it was an amateur sport? I don’t think it is, in fact it could be an under estimation.
    I think you are correct.
    It’s a game of giants just smashing into each other now.

Seldom do you see great, exciting runs in todays game.

Argentina get the only try of the game once they start passing the ball

Who would have thought...

Think England have been bloody lucky with their pre tournament suspensions mind. Ford gave an absolute masterclass there, levels above what Farrell is capable of. Same As the backrow, stepped up manfully to cover the sending off. Can't see that fat waste of space vunipola managing an 80 minutes like that.

They've got some cracking players, and I think that's what it was about today, the players taking charge after the sending. Unfortunately for them they seem to hamstring themselves with cretinous coaches. I'm sure Farrell and vunipola will be back soon, normal service will return

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I’ve seen nothing from England to suggest that. Argentina architects of their own downfall. There hasn’t been a decent move in the game. Dreadful.
    Yes England made Argentina look like a pub team tonight with a man less too. Not bad considering how Argentina played against the southern hemisphere teams. England’s next difficult match is the semi final where they should lose, but the pre tournament odds of 13/2 to reach the final looks a good punt now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I think you are correct.
    It’s a game of giants just smashing into each other now.

Seldom do you see great, exciting runs in todays game.
    the evolution of the modern day top rugby elite players not just confined to rugby but by all top level athletes today

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...nament-3020300

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-unio...y-rugby-player

we always have this topic raised on here year on year

i always say i think top level sports athletes have peaked right now in terms of peak fitness. Scary to think what the future holds for top level sports athletes or as i call them now semi robotic elite athletes

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It was fine. Waist level, and an attempt to dislodge the ball. As big as the tackler is, the opposing player is just as big and able to cope with such a hit.
    Since when was a tackle made across the waist?

We were taught to go in above the knees

These players are going in with shoulders and chest to cause player to drop the ball and rough him up at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    the evolution of the modern day top rugby elite players not just confined to rugby but by all top level athletes today

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...nament-3020300

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-unio...y-rugby-player

we always have this topic raised on here year on year

i always say i think top level sports athletes have peaked right now in terms of peak fitness. Scary to think what the future holds for top level sports athletes or as i call them now semi robotic elite athletes
    Cyborgs playing for The City!

These players are going in with shoulders and chest to cause player to drop the ball and rough him up at the same time

Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Are you serious?
    Or the chest !

Wtf is all that about

Half these gym bunnies end up in hospital because they are not tackling properly

They seem more concerned with blitzing their opponent , taking them out if you like , rather than legitimate arms around the thighs and drive

If this is modern rugby then the court cases involving players with early onset dementia is going to radically change rugby

To the point where it will be like pass the parcel

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Ah but it was a "monster, showstopping hit" so it's all fine
    I didn't watch the last five minutes or so, so maybe I missed something where the commentator got more animated. Utterly predictably, that "hit" was greeted by the greatest show of excitement from the commentary box of the contest that I witnessed and therein lies rugby's problem - brute force over skill with all of the implications for the player's long term health that carries. Meanwhile, on the sidelines, those who follow the sport are egging (see what I did there) the players on to produce still bigger bone and brain shuddering collisions.

You're talking about the way a sport that you completely despise was taught at your school over half a century ago, and yet you seem to be making out that you know better than professionals at the very top level of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You're talking about the way a sport that you completely despise was taught at your school over half a century ago, and yet you seem to be making out that you know better than professionals at the very top level of the game?
    You should know by now that Sludge is a self appointed expert on every topic under the sun.

Are you all there?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    And there have only been 5 different finalists. Since the first World Cup only 13 teams have reached the knockouts, with Japan in 2019 the first new team to do so since 1999.

Compare that to the last 9 football World Cups. 6 different winners, 8 different finalists, 16 difference semi finalists and 31 different teams reaching the quarter finals, never mind the round of 16

I like rugby, but international rugby is top loaded, far more so than football
    At least it’s not like the US of A where then invent sports that only they play & then declare themselves world champions.

As a footnote, my wife was a world champion in the 1980s in the mixed relay wheelbarrow racing championships.

Or the chest !

Wtf is all that about

Half these gym bunnies end up in hospital because they are not tackling properly

They seem more concerned with blitzing their opponent , taking them out if you like , rather than legitimate arms around the thighs and drive

If this is modern rugby then the court cases involving players with early onset dementia is going to radically change rugby

To the point where it will be like pass the parcel
    I love the way they come out of the ruck or maul punching the air and celebrating like a weightlifter because the ref spotted an infringement.
    Then the crowd lapping it up.

The game certainly has evolved but not for the better.

I wonder if George Ford's performance has ended all but Farrell's England career, they are a better team without him. For the rest of the tournament i would only play Farrell in the dead duck games to protect Ford then put him out to pasture after the WC. Boring but an impressive win V the Argentine.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    At least it’s not like the US of A where then invent sports that only they play & then declare themselves world champions.

As a footnote, my wife was a world champion in the 1980s in the mixed relay wheelbarrow racing championships.
    Did they have motorbike engines fitted to them? With the "pusher" on roller skates? Or did I just invent a new sport?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The professionals at the top of the game are the reason why
    so many players are developing dementia from all these power hits

The only professionals of any note in this are the medical experts who are pressing for the game to be radically changed

I hope you are bright enough to realise that