+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whitts vs Le Tissier

Re: Whitts vs Le Tissier

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Fair enough, just that under Malky, Whitts had to be a more complete midfielder, tackling back etc. I remember Malky saying he used to show Whitts a video of an occasion where he had ran 50 yards back to tackle someone. That would hardly ever have happened when Jones was manager. It's maybe no coincidence that most of the brilliant goals, the great free kicks, the moments of jaw dropping skill happened when Jones was our manager. Whitts went over 4 years without scoring a direct free kick under Malky, Solskjaer and Slade and he became a different player.

It would have been interesting to have seen Whitts in the Premier League given a free role. He'd certainly have coped.
    This will sound like sacrilege but the fact Whittingham ended up at City for £350000 suggests the other 19 premier league clubs along with Villa didn't fancy it?

Talented, gifted, skillful, yes. Did he have the work rate to defend as often and much with a then mid table or lower premier league club during those years?

Whittingham was a crowd pleaser when allowed to play his game. I don't think most clubs at the time were able to have that luxury? Don't think others felt Whittingham was good enough for clubs or coaches to take that chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    This will sound like sacrilege but the fact Whittingham ended up at City for £350000 suggests the other 19 premier league clubs along with Villa didn't fancy it?

Talented, gifted, skillful, yes. Did he have the work rate to defend as often and much with a then mid table or lower premier league club during those years?

Whittingham was a crowd pleaser when allowed to play his game. I don't think most clubs at the time were able to have that luxury? Don't think others felt Whittingham was good enough for clubs or coaches to take that chance?
    Thank god we got him for so long

That box to box goal up at Sheffield United

Just effortlessly stroked in in , like a conductor

If Glenn Hoddle played in todays era he’d be one of the best in the world. When you see some of his passing and goals on what can only be described as cowpatches then you wonder how good would he have been on todays lush green carpets.

Unfortunately for him he played in an era of English football that didn’t appreciate his skills. Steve Hodge was getting picked before him for England ffs

It’s like comparing Micheal Owen and Chopra just because they were good poachers.

We all loved Whitts but you’re doing Le Tissier a disservice

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Thank god we got him for so long

That box to box goal up at Sheffield United

Just effortlessly stroked in in , like a conductor
    Agree, and City were at the level for him where he was allowed/able to do it and for us to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If Glenn Hoddle played in todays era he’d be one of the best in the world. When you see some of his passing and goals on what can only be described as cowpatches then you wonder how good would he have been on todays lush green carpets.

Unfortunately for him he played in an era of English football that didn’t appreciate his skills. Steve Hodge was getting picked before him for England ffs
    Didn't Steve Hodge sell Maradona's Jersey that he wore during the 'hand of god' game?

Probably the closest he got to Maradona was actually asking for his shirt instead of watching Diego's arrse running away from him? The cheeky phucker for asking and he made a few quid from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    At Southampton Le Tissier was given a virtually free role to be a genius. Dave Jones did something similar with Peter Whittingham, then Malky tried to make him a defensive midfielder and things went wrong.

For all of Le Tissier's amazing goals, Whittingham was right up there with him in terms of vision and brilliance.
    It's a cardiff message board so I expect one sided stuff but this is ridiculous.

How can a player who spent almost all their career in the Championship be described as being right up there with a similar player who spent all his career excelling in the Premier league?

If Whitts played for Villa nowadays he wouldn't have dropped to the championship.

We were still in the football dark ages then with far more emphasis on physicality over skill. In today's technique-biased game and massive squads, he'd have only come to Cardiff for cup finals.

Weren't Villa a top 6 team in those days whilst Southampton we a mid-to-bottom team ? Anyway, LeTiss was the next level, but again not physically quick enough for football in those days to be considered "great", a bit of a side show highlights reel player.

DJ encouraged and then allowed the artist to perform, but Malky wanted his ten pieces of gold from him and turned him into a professional footballer who he managed to squeeze every last drop out of.

Malky got us promoted, DJ didn't.

I go to football to watch players do things i can only dream of, nearly every game Whitts made me smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Didn't Steve Hodge sell Maradona's Jersey that he wore during the 'hand of god' game?

Probably the closest he got to Maradona was actually asking for his shirt instead of watching Diego's arrse running away from him? The cheeky phucker for asking and he made a few quid from it.
    https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...ineker-7038312

More than a few quid then.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    DJ encouraged and then allowed the artist to perform, but Malky wanted his ten pieces of gold from him and turned him into a professional footballer who he managed to squeeze every last drop out of.

Malky got us promoted, DJ didn't.

I go to football to watch players do things i can only dream of, nearly every game Whitts made me smile
    Doesn't mean Malky got the best from Whitts, it just got Whitts to do what Malky wanted.

For 3 years under Jones, Whitts was an amazing attacking midfielder.

Whitts is probably my single favourite player, but Le Tiss is on another level.

Is this thread seriously asking if Whitts is any where near Le Tiss???

And I love Whiits , there was a huge gap on natural talent .

U Tube Tiss goals he was a unquie genuis up there with Best , Rodney Marsh , Stan Bowles.Tony Currie.Jimmy Greaves . All unique.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

U Tube Tiss goals he was a unquie genuis up there with Best , Rodney Marsh , Stan Bowles.Tony Currie.Jimmy Greaves . All unique.
    I doubt there's ever been a Championship player closer to Le Tissier's level than Whitts.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

LOM, great players but how can they all be unique !

i always thought this thread was odd comparing Whitts to le tissier

makes good conversation that's for sure but i,m still confused totally different players

would have turned 39 this week too

in terms of legend status Whitts is up there with Phil Dwyer

Really can’t remember but did anyone seriously make a bid to sign Whitts ?So glad he didn’t leave in his prime but surely he could have been a target for a Prem team.

I think if I remember right we turned a bid down from West Ham. Think Forest tried to sign him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think if I remember right we turned a bid down from West Ham. Think Forest tried to sign him as well.
    They weren't Premier League teams at the time?

Forest wouldn't have been.

When West Ham expressed an interest they were in the Championship, I think.

In my humble opinion, PW was an absolute diamond for us, and we were lucky to have him in his prime. He would almost certainly get into an all time greatest Cardiff City squad.
    To compare him with Le Tissier though, is sheer folly. The difference is like night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    In my humble opinion, PW was an absolute diamond for us, and we were lucky to have him in his prime. He would almost certainly get into an all time greatest Cardiff City squad.
    To compare him with Le Tissier though, is sheer folly. The difference is like night and day.
    Very well summed up IMO. I can't stand Le Tiss but it's like comparing chalk with cheese. Whittingham was an outstanding Championship level player but Le Tissier was top level Premier standard.

Totally agree, and sheer madness on the part of the management.

Totally agree with this. Hoddle himself has said, he never felt his style of play was fully appreciated here, and that’s why he went to Monaco.
    His vision,style and passing qualities would be much more suited to todays game.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Totally agree with this. Hoddle himself has said, he never felt his style of play was fully appreciated here, and that’s why he went to Monaco.
    His vision,style and passing qualities would be much more suited to todays game.
    And very ironic that hoddle didn't take gazza to world cup 98, despite him being even then the most creative player who could change a match in a moment, despite being past his best. For broadly similar reasons to hoddle missing out for England, he wouldn't necessarily follow the gameplan.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And very ironic that hoddle didn't take gazza to world cup 98, despite him being even then the most creative player who could change a match in a moment, despite being past his best. For broadly similar reasons to hoddle missing out for England, he wouldn't necessarily follow the gameplan.
    Not ironic at all. Im sure Hoddle would have loved the Gazza of 90 or even 96. He gave him every opportunity but he was a shadow of the player he was plus his fitness was nowhere near what was needed.