+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wind Farms ?? Is Net Zero Now A Religion .

Wind Farms ?? Is Net Zero Now A Religion .

https://watt-logic.com/2023/06/14/wind-farm-costs/

It is an intresting article .

Heat pumps 10k per household , and not forgetting removal of gas pipes to every household would potentially cost 2.5k per house estimate .

Wind Farms now costly to maintain as turbines wear quicker than was thought and not producing the power ,so not totally renewable .??

Weather doesn't deliver constant wind.

Not got enough high ground for turbines.

Solar power not what folk thought I know folk stoppedusing them after they break .

Wind Turbine starting to fail .

Can't build future gas or coal ?

Can't put enough charging points in .

Electric car purchase behind many

Net Zero impossible target ?

Cost to heat pump every house near impossible .

I'm all for net zero if it cost folk net zero .

Is Solar panels wind turbine the new Beta or C5 Sinclair ?

Re: Wind Farms ?? Is Net Zero Now A Religion .

Everything I see about solar panels say that the price has come down massively in recent times. Home solar seems to have very few negatives from what I'm seeing

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Everything I see about solar panels say that the price has come down massively in recent times. Home solar seems to have very few negatives from what I'm seeing
    I have a freind who looked after a farmers field. Farmer has given up on them due to what they deliver . There's a lot of second panels about . Suppose its what your want from them ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Heat pumps 10k per household , and not forgetting removal of gas pipes to every household would potentially cost 2.5k per house estimate .

Wind Farms now costly to maintain as turbines wear quicker than was thought and not producing the power ,so not totally renewable .??

Solar power not what folk thought I know folk stoppedusing them after they break .

No, renewables are here to stay

Is it just me or does it feel like some people are climate change deniers without coming out and saying it....or maybe even realising it themselves.

Things are going to get tough, quickly.

Everyone should be panicking and accepting ANY technology that offers us a way out of this thing or buys us time.

To say net zero at zero cost ? Not going to happen. Catastrophic weather events. Crop failure. Cost of living rising exponetially as a result. This will happen. Believe it.

You might think that you have chips to play in this situation but you have nothing. You pay or you die, basically. Not being dramatic.

Is it me or are most people who are blasé about climate change and renewables single without kids ??

If you mean, and I doubt this very much, that another technology will be so superior that it makes these obsolete then let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

No but it's a good idea. If you like the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Is it just me or does it feel like some people are climate change deniers without coming out and saying it....or maybe even realising it themselves.

Things are going to get tough, quickly.

Everyone should be panicking and accepting ANY technology that offers us a way out of this thing or buys us time.

To say net zero at zero cost ? Not going to happen. Catastrophic weather events. Crop failure. Cost of living rising exponetially as a result. This will happen. Believe it.

You might think that you have chips to play in this situation but you have nothing. You pay or you die, basically. Not being dramatic.

Is it me or are most people who are blasé about climate change and renewables single without kids ??
    I'd actually say the biggest head in the sand lot are over 60's, you only need to look at this boards general attitude to modal shift and that says all you need to know.

First things first , the national Grid requires decarbonisation to start with , what fun

I also se that they have a max useful life of 25 years - and then are difficult to dispose of.

They can be recycled and I'm sure as demand ramps up so will supply but many installations have quite a few years left in them

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I also se that they have a max useful life of 25 years - and then are difficult to dispose of.
    The same could be applied to cars, lorries and offshore oil rigs. Which do you think is more difficult/expensive to dispose of? An oil rig or a wind turbine? I could disassemble solar panels myself. I'm sure someone would only be too happy to take them away free of charge. I'll probably be dead by then anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...hore-windfarms

Biggest clean energy disaster in years’: UK auction secures no offshore windfarms

King Charles, the world's LARGEST land owner, unhappy with offshore wind auction result. No bids mean no extra money for King Charles, who earn $1.3 billion a year renting land to offshore windfarms. Thus, resort to 'Climate Change' gaslighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I'd actually say the biggest head in the sand lot are over 60's, you only need to look at this boards general attitude to modal shift and that says all you need to know.
    I am 76 and very concerned about climate change. I have solar PV and solar thermal panels on our place. Can't afford a heat pump. Latter are not the dream solution BTW unless your house is super insulated first. We have cavity wall insulation, 300mm loft insulation and IWI on several external walls too. We use approximately 72kWh/sq.m. of floor area which is about half that for an "average" bungalow, so the changes have had a positive effect. We used to use 3000 litres of heating oil p a., now 1300 litres. (We are in a rural area so no mains gas).

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

If you mean, and I doubt this very much, that another technology will be so superior that it makes these obsolete then let's hope so.
    Yes ,these are not solutions.. Musk will come up with something I'm sure .

nobody ever said that achieving net zero wouldn't be extremely difficult and very expensive.

just that it will be less difficult and less expensive than doing nothing about it.

going by current projections, more than a billion people are living in areas that are likely to become unsuitable to support any kind of food production, so we may be looking at displacement of populations, with all the problems that go along with that, on a scale that has never been seen before

International

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    No over 100's, then over 90's right the way down It's very logical why, there will be obviously some concern for their children and grandchildren, but if won't affect them directly, those under 20's will be the most concerned, a lot more than your age group.

International

Saudi Arabia and Russia will be much less concerned, The US would probably be moving much faster if they weren't swimming in oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    nobody ever said that achieving net zero wouldn't be extremely difficult and very expensive.

just that it will be less difficult and less expensive than doing nothing about it.

going by current projections, more than a billion people are living in areas that are likely to become unsuitable to support any kind of food production, so we may be looking at displacement of populations, with all the problems that go along with that, on a scale that has never been seen before
    "Displacement of populations": that's what will rouse these climate change deniers. They'll be counting small boats in their sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    "Displacement of populations": that's what will rouse these climate change deniers. They'll be counting small boats in their sleep.
    I don’t think anyone in this thread is a “climate change denier “ much to your disappointment. What people think regarding this policy is that it’s generally unachievable, ,contradictory, and detrimental to poorer communities.

Even if the UK achieved its carbon neutral target ( it won’t ) it would make an impact of 0.04% in global emissions savings

My garden office is completely off grid and powered by two solar panels I bought off ebay for 150. I have fans, lights, music, tv, laptops, monitors out there. The technology has come on loads.

If buildings were better insulated we could reduce the need for gas and hence renewable energy would be able to contribute more in percentage terms. In my case I have reduced my use of heating oil by 50% just by installing more insulation. Sadly I cannot afford a heat pump without some kind of subsidy. Also I would need a professional survey of my house to ensure that one would be man enough to do the job.