+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 and Counting

24 and Counting

is this the greatest sports athlete of our generation ? what an achievement

Re: 24 and Counting

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    is this the greatest sports athlete of our generation ? what an achievement

Maybe but I just can't take to him. A bit like Tiger Woods I suppose. Their personalities either appeal to you or they don't. Give me Roger Federer and Lefty Mickelson any day of the week.

Athlete? He's good at tennis. There are players that don't make it in the NFL that are better athletes than him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Athlete? He's good at tennis. There are players that don't make it in the NFL that are better athletes than him.
    I doubt it. Man plays for 3 or 4 hours maintaining a ridiculously high level of skill and accuracy.

NFL players are sat on their backside for most of the game.

Anyway I don’t agree with Moz, Lionel Messi or Michael Jordan for me and still prefer to watch Federer play tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I doubt it. Man plays for 3 or 4 hours maintaining a ridiculously high level of skill and accuracy.

NFL players are sat on their backside for most of the game.

Anyway I don’t agree with Moz, Lionel Messi or Michael Jordan for me and still prefer to watch Federer play tennis.
    at the time of posting i was thinking of all the elite top sports athletes of modern times but tennis is a bit unique as its not a team sport

mental strength and endurance as well as natural ability comes into play here and have now decided he is the best there's no contest

yes we could say messi , ronaldo etc but at 36 years old and his achievements over a long period of time will be seldom done again ,i would have said Ali back in the 70's / 80's

on top of that the WEF mob stopped him competing for a number of years too .imagine how many more major titles he would have won

we will never know of course

Incredible fitness levels these tennis players have

But he comes across as a right privileged and entitled git

A lot of them at the top of their game appear to be like that .....him , McEnroe , Murray at times

Or is it that all his opponents are just not good enough at the moment ?

ie:——- nothing out there to beat !

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

You have to wonder though how many he/Federer/Nadal would have won if the other two hadn’t been around at the same time.

The three highest number of Grand Slam winners all playing in the same era….. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    NFL?! :-o

He has reached the final of half the grand slam tournaments he's ever entered
    Best by a mile

Some achievement, 24 majors and countless finals.

Difficult to think of anyone else in a non-team sport who could claim the crown of best athlete.

Not a popular "great" though.

He played with Nadal and Federer FFS, you can't flip that on him the moment they've gone.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He played with Nadal and Federer FFS, you can't flip that on him the moment they've gone.
    Those whipping boys Nadal and Federer

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    on top of that the WEF mob stopped him competing for a number of years too .imagine how many more major titles he would have won
    What do you mean, Moz? He missed one Australian Open and one US Open because of his covid vaccine situation?

Wonder how many Nadal would have won without his injury problems. He has missed 17 of 83 slams because of injury.

Of the 66 he has played he was won 22, the same 1 in 3 strike rate to Djokovic - 24 in 72 played.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

One got dodgier knees than me, the other fella was just a service merchant

Federer a sevrice merchant? Whaaaaat??

Do those unable to recognise how good Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are/were believe that, with one or two exceptions, the men’s game has not been producing potential multi grand slam tournament winners for the last twenty years?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Do those unable to recognise how good Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are/were believe that, with one or two exceptions, the men’s game has not been producing potential multi grand slam tournament winners for the last twenty years?
    What do you mean? Nadal and Djokivic have both been produced in the last 20 years? Nadal played his first slam in 2003 and Djokovic 2005? Federer has been around for the most part of that so very difficult for anyone else to be a multi slam winner with those 3 hoovering up the vast majority of the grand slams.

He probably is.

36 and it's a pretty non stop sport both on and off court.

Was a time when there were questions over his mentality and certainly his ability to get through matches physically. Then hit his stride and looks as good as ever. 3 from 4 slams this year with opponents like Alcaraz around who are 15 years younger.

A team sport is one thing but when it's just you in those moments, the drive at that age, after so many years to keep going is what impresses me this most. Even with no injuries most would have wound down for a life on the beach by now.

He probably didnt want to get the covid jab because it doesnt work on humans let alone robots.

What do you mean? Nadal and Djokivic have both been produced in the last 20 years? Nadal played his first slam in 2003 and Djokovic 2005? Federer has been around for the most part of that so very difficult for anyone else to be a multi slam winner with those 3 hoovering up the vast majority of the grand slams.
    I was thinking of other players, I was thinking that the building blocks for what those three players became were in place twenty years ago, are we to believe that all but players like Murray and Stan Wawrinka since then have not been good enough to win more than a couple of grand slams?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was thinking of other players, I was thinking that the building blocks for what those three players became were in place twenty years ago, are we to believe that all but players like Murray and Stan Wawrinka since then have not been good enough to win more than a couple of grand slams?
    Not when those 3 were around, no. How many multiple grand slam winners do you expect in a generation?

Not when those 3 were around, no. How many multiple grand slam winners do you expect in a generation?
    Through all of my life before that, you’d have players such as Borg and Sampras who’d dominate for a while, but there was never a situation where a small group of players dominated almost completely for close to a generation. This prompts the question were that group dominant because they were exceptional players or because the standards of all but one or two of the rest was so poor? I believe it was more the former than the latter - I believe there are a lot of players now in their early thirties who will live their rest of their lives thinking that they never got the rewards their ability warranted because of the trio Djokovic, Federer and Nadal.

Oh I see, it's a lame windup job.