+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Well I won’t be drinking here !!! New slant on “Happy Hour”

Well I won’t be drinking here !!! New slant on “Happy Hour”

Shirley it’s April Fools Day ???? This cannot be true !!!!

https://apple.news/Ao543ZoJsRw-Uv_vulWySXw

Re: Well I won’t be drinking here !!! New slant on “Happy Hour”

.... “Stonegate Group, like all retail businesses, regularly reviews pricing to manage costs but also to ensure we offer great value for money to our guests."

They even try to put a positive spin on it.
    At a time when pubs up and down the country are shutting down, their management team got together and gave this the green light!

Corporate speak bollox, the bastards even mention having happy hours as one of the excuses for ripping customers off

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Shirley it’s April Fools Day ???? This cannot be true !!!!

https://apple.news/Ao543ZoJsRw-Uv_vulWySXw
    Pubs like that charge what they like, and half the staff charge different prices every round as it is, you can't trust them, imagine what they are going to be like on Saturday, £2 extra.

I’m sure spoons Gatekeeper does the same for international rugby match days. Definitely seems more expensive.

I have no issue with this as long as it’s clear before you order. Where I’ve seen this done well is where are prices are clear on a board. “Ah Madri’s £1.50 more I’ll go for something else.”

International

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I’m sure spoons Gatekeeper does the same for international rugby match days. Definitely seems more expensive.

I have no issue with this as long as it’s clear before you order. Where I’ve seen this done well is where are prices are clear on a board. “Ah Madri’s £1.50 more I’ll go for something else.”
    That is a good point about pricing, It should be compulsory to see the price on every bar tab so you can pick what you want knowing the price well in advance

Peak time pricing...what a fecking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    That is a good point about pricing, It should be compulsory to see the price on every bar tab so you can pick what you want knowing the price well in advance
    Nearly all the pubs in town add money to the price of drinks on international day, not just Spoons.

And I believe that it is law, that they have to display prices all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Peak time pricing...what a fecking joke.
    I don’t see the issue
    Charge more when it’s packed to the rafters. Charge less when it’s dead.
    It makes complete sense?
    You can’t complain about pubs closing if they’re not allowed to do something

Of course they should have the current prices on display, with todays electronic signs, they really have no excuse

But this Dynamic pricing thing looks sensible, think of a Friday / Saturday night, its busy, they have to employ security / door staff, make the punter pay a little bit extra to cover it ( yes I know the extra revenue from it being busy and they SHOULD be selling more, should cover that )

but they can now have a quiet time in the day and to have things ticking over charging £2 a pint ( or whatever Is cheap in the region ) which was always the original idea of " happy hour "

Not the same thing I know but we went to a bar in Berlin where they charged based on popularity. They had a stock exchange type chart coloured in red and blue with the upward and downward movements. If you wanted a cheap pint you could go for one of the red beers, if you wanted a popular one you paid more. Worked for me as I was drinking a dark beer which didn't seem popular.

The pubs in Temple Bar are alleged to have been doing this for years. One of the reasons we stay clear of the area when we're in Dublin.

So Stonegate have the following_

Mackintosh Hotel
    Slug & Lettuce (Friary & St Mary Street)
    The Owain
    Church Inn (Ty Glas Road)
    Henry's
    The Woodville
    Gassy's
    Pen & Wig
    Popworld
    Yates (on Greyfriars).

So there's your 'avoid list'

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post
    So Stonegate have the following_

Mackintosh Hotel
    Slug & Lettuce (Friary & St Mary Street)
    The Owain
    Church Inn (Ty Glas Road)
    Henry's
    The Woodville
    Gassy's
    Pen & Wig
    Popworld
    Yates (on Greyfriars).

So there's your 'avoid list'
    Only one I’ve been in, in the last few months was the Church Inn, for a funeral

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Only one I’ve been in, in the last few months was the Church Inn, for a funeral
    I nipped in the Owain last Friday. Over six notes for a pint of Peroni. Won't be back

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post
    I nipped in the Owain last Friday. Over six notes for a pint of Peroni. Won't be back
    Bale’s, Bar 11, wanted to change me over £6 for a cider, I walked out as she was pouring it, saying “I’m off to the Boro”

I liked the quote from an 'unnamed pub chief exec' in the guardian. Along the lines of 'we all do it, they've just been daft enough to let it slip'

If you're selling more beer you're variable/semi-variable costs go up as well - it's basic economics. You'll need more staff and have more glasses to wash, but your income goes up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I don’t see the issue
    Charge more when it’s packed to the rafters. Charge less when it’s dead.
    It makes complete sense?
    You can’t complain about pubs closing if they’re not allowed to do something
    could do the same with food or anything else...when the shops are packed on Saturdays up the prices...Just in case they go under like.