+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These Electric Car thingys, part 2 as can’t find original

These Electric Car thingys, part 2 as can’t find original

Wonderful

https://apple.news/A9MogDigCTlqRs8DVJUNm3A

And everyone will have “speeding points” before long !!!!

Re: These Electric Car thingys, part 2 as can’t find original

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Wonderful

https://apple.news/A9MogDigCTlqRs8DVJUNm3A

And everyone will have “speeding points” before long !!!!
    Cost of vehicle insurance has gone up full stop, and slightly more for electric by the look of it. According to the article £24 a year difference? Pretty sure you'd cover that with lower running cost

International

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Cost of vehicle insurance has gone up full stop, and slightly more for electric by the look of it. According to the article £24 a year difference? Pretty sure you'd cover that with lower running cost
    It will have to go down next year it's almost impossible to have a bump into anything at 20mph!!!

Doesn’t seem much, I assume the value of an electric car is generally higher?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Doesn’t seem much, I assume the value of an electric car is generally higher?
    I’ve got a hybrid currently, and did a bit of research into affordability of electric cars last year. Yes electric models are more expensive, I’m hoping when I’m due to change in a couple of years that the gap will have narrowed a bit.

I’ve got a hybrid currently, and did a bit of research into affordability of electric cars last year. Yes electric models are more expensive, I’m hoping when I’m due to change in a couple of years that the gap will have narrowed a bit.
    how do you find a hybrid ?

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    how do you find a hybrid ?
    I’d also like to hear your experience of a hybrid. I’m in the market for a new motor and one of the options is a hybrid. In theory it seems to make the most sense and has great mpg and much better range than just electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I’d also like to hear your experience of a hybrid. I’m in the market for a new motor and one of the options is a hybrid. In theory it seems to make the most sense and has great mpg and much better range than just electric.
    I am happy with my 10 year old Mercedes diesel...(!)...Does 50mpg even at top of speed limits...but if I WAS in the market to change I would certainly go for a hybrid rather than electric......Toyota Prius seem to have a lasting pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I am happy with my 10 year old Mercedes diesel...(!)...Does 50mpg even at top of speed limits...but if I WAS in the market to change I would certainly go for a hybrid rather than electric......Toyota Prius seem to have a lasting pedigree.
    Consider yourself lucky that you don’t live in or near a ULEZ then, and have to face paying £12.50 a day or selling what is a perfectly usable car :-/

How do you work that out when on average an electric car costs up to 40% more than a conventional combustion engine car , the equivalent car I have costs around £25,000 more and it’s a lesser model and looks awful.

Depreciation costs plummet as well on EV’s

My insurance with M & S has gone down the last 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    How do you work that out when on average an electric car costs up to 40% more than a conventional combustion engine car , the equivalent car I have costs around £25,000 more and it’s a lesser model and looks awful.

Depreciation costs plummet as well on EV’s
    He said the cost of insuring an EV is about £24 more than an ICE. He then said that this is likely covered by the reduced cost of running one.

And he is right. Mileage is materially free on an EV. My EV costs £75k and it costs me less to run (with all the depreciation etc) than a ford fiesta.

Really like having the hybrid, to answer the above questions. Definitely has changed my driving style a bit, especially when I first had it - you look for ways to encourage the car in to EV mode such as coming off the gas, not accelerating hard, etc. Overall in the 13 months I’ve had it I’m averaging 47 mpg, not as good as the 50 plus of my diesel van but pretty good for a petrol based vehicle. Mine is a self charging one, so ni plugging in required and with the 20 limits coming in I’m expecting more EV usage around towns. another benefit is the cracking acceleration if needed that the electric adds to the ICE, nice surprise when you first put your foot down. Overall I’d highly recommend getting one, or at the very least going for a test drive.

Really like having the hybrid, to answer the above questions. Definitely has changed my driving style a bit, especially when I first had it - you look for ways to encourage the car in to EV mode such as coming off the gas, not accelerating hard, etc. Overall in the 13 months I’ve had it I’m averaging 47 mpg, not as good as the 50 plus of my diesel van but pretty good for a petrol based vehicle. Mine is a self charging one, so ni plugging in required and with the 20 limits coming in I’m expecting more EV usage around towns. another benefit is the cracking acceleration if needed that the electric adds to the ICE, nice surprise when you first put your foot down. Overall I’d highly recommend getting one, or at the very least going for a test drive.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    He said the cost of insuring an EV is about £24 more than an ICE. He then said that this is likely covered by the reduced cost of running one.

And he is right. Mileage is materially free on an EV. My EV costs £75k and it costs me less to run (with all the depreciation etc) than a ford fiesta.
    I’m assuming you’re cost savings are being met via a company benefit in kind ( salary sacrifice) , which we offer , and a Tesla can result in huge savings.

I agree with you about a hybrid changing your driving style. I have a self charging hybrid which monitors your driving style and and the accompanying App shows the route of your last journey and where my acceleration was a bit much or where I braked too hard. It definitely focusses the mind. I’ve had my current hybrid since January and the onboard system tells me that I am averaging 70 mpg. My visits to the filling station are certainly fewer.

I'm waiting on delivery of a Volvo EV, need to organise a charging point to be fitted, who did the guys with EV's use?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I'm waiting on delivery of a Volvo EV, need to organise a charging point to be fitted, who did the guys with EV's use?
    I used Pod Point. Pre installation survey process was simple. Turned up at the appointed time, did a good job. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I’m assuming you’re cost savings are being met via a company benefit in kind ( salary sacrifice) , which we offer , and a Tesla can result in huge savings.
    Correct. Our company car scheme churns out almost exclusively EVs now. We have a list of lead times for cars where they can't meet demand and it is again almost exclusively EV. If you want a Porsche Taycan, the wait is over 2 years. BMW, Audi, VW, Skoda all over a year. The shortest lead times are on the teslas where it is 6 months. I've extended the lease on my current EV by a year because I can't get a new one!

Don't get me wrong: this demand is borne of the fact that for the first time in my working life, there is something approaching a tax-free benefit that is actually worth having. But it's meant I went for EV and having done so, I now know just how easy it is to run one. I won't be going back.

We have that, too. They fit a new mini consumer unit thing so you don't need to worry about having space for it. Audi arranged ours as part of the deal for the car.

However if I was doing it again I'd look at getting a smart charger compatable with smart tariffs like Agile Octopus. It's not much good at the moment but a while go it meant you got paid to charge, and if energy prices drop that might become a possibility again.

IMG_4251.jpg

Hidden Environment Cost of an EV

More C02, tyre wear , damage to road surface (2.24 times more stress to road surface ) ,2,000 deaths per year etc

petrol and diesel cars to be banned in the Swedish Capitol 2025

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    petrol and diesel cars to be banned in the Swedish Capitol 2025
    I’m not Swedish ,and it’s another psychop as they clearly don’t benefit the environment

Watching a program last night and I found out a fact that I didn’t know!

Electric cars can’t be towed if they break down (sorry, that if, should be WHEN)

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It will have to go down next year it's almost impossible to have a bump into anything at 20mph!!!
    I read somewhere that 20mph roads have MORE minor shunts than higher speeds.