+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Harry Maguire "joke"

The Harry Maguire "joke"

Am I the only one who thinks the "joke" is that Southgate keeps picking him?
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ainst-scotland

Was genuinely shocked at how bad he was playing against us and getting terrorised by Paterson.

International

Re: The Harry Maguire "joke"

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the "joke" is that Southgate keeps picking him?
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ainst-scotland

Was genuinely shocked at how bad he was playing against us and getting terrorised by Paterson.
    He's being bullied, yet he's a decent player, it's a strange one he's not even a nasty bloke, I suppose it's just the modern World.

He’s a good player that doesn’t suit how the games adapted recently.

If you have 10 men behind the ball and just constant crosses, he’ll fire away or block every one

Put him in a position where he has to play higher, think more he can’t cope.

But agree with first point, he shouldn’t be playing for England or Man Utd

He's just an easy target at this stage, fans and media have in mind he's shit and are waiting to pounce.

He himself is probably then trying too hard.

Needs a move abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

If you have 10 men behind the ball and just constant crosses, he’ll fire away or block every one

Totally agree with this, probably a nice bloke who is committed to England but he's not getting a game for United for a reason, and shouldn't be anywhere near first choice for England for the same reason. The fact that he and Henderson are almost automatic on the team sheet shows how much of a dinosaur Southgate is becoming.

International

Stick him somewhere like Everton or Burnley he would do an amazing job for you and be loved by their fans, wrong club, wrong time and he's lost his confidence, he's probably out of contention for England for a bit, but could work his way back in, he needs a move to a lower expecting premier club.

If you stuck him in our defence he would stop most of the stupid soft goals we have conceded.

He is a brilliant player by our standards and it's not his fault that ManU paid £60mllion too much for him!

He wants to count his blessings that he's not Raheem Sterling. The Daily Mail would be printing a weekend supplement criticising him if he was playing as poorly as Maguire, and in every aspect of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Stick him somewhere like Everton or Burnley he would do an amazing job for you and be loved by their fans, wrong club, wrong time and he's lost his confidence, he's probably out of contention for England for a bit, but could work his way back in, he needs a move to a lower expecting premier club.

If you stuck him in our defence he would stop most of the stupid soft goals we have conceded.

He is a brilliant player by our standards and it's not his fault that ManU paid £60mllion too much for him!
    He's slow in thought and deed. That inflated fee that was paid for him is the sole reason he still gets picked for England.
    A Player that cost that much HAS to be good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    He's slow in thought and deed. That inflated fee that was paid for him is the sole reason he still gets picked for England.
    A Player that cost that much HAS to be good, right?
    Do you think Southgate makes his selections based on a players previous value? I can't see that happening.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He wants to count his blessings that he's not Raheem Sterling. The Daily Mail would be printing a weekend supplement criticising him if he was playing as poorly as Maguire, and in every aspect of his life.
    Agree he was another one who was very harshly treated, a very good player he's also been bullied by fans, pundits, and the media, Ahsley Cole had loads of stick too, I think it's often the high transfer fees that single some of these players out.

Why are you comparing him by our standards - a lower Championship side?
    Actually, I think he'd be good for us but not brilliant.

International

Just pointing out that fans like some us laugh at a player who is ten times better than Goutas.

The main point was that he's a top Premier League quality defender just not currently good enough for the top eight. With full confidence he wouldn't be that far away, he was overpriced but sold at £80Million for a reason.

Do you think Southgate makes his selections based on a players previous value? I can't see that happening.
    Are you telling me that a manager wouldn't feel swayed to play someone who cost a world record transfer for a defender?
    Then, when he has Maguire in the camp, he finds out he's a really genuine, likeable guy, who's good on the training ground and brings something to the dressing room and follows the manager's instructions.

It's the British trait - knock someone down, then try to build them up again.

Just pointing out that fans like some us laugh at a player who is ten times better than Goutas.

The main point was that he's a top Premier League quality defender just not currently good enough for the top eight. With full confidence he wouldn't be that far away, he was overpriced but sold at £80Million for a reason.
    Then you can't use the words "top Premier League quality defender" if he's not good enough for a top eight club. That would suggest he's average at best.

Are you telling me that a manager wouldn't feel swayed to play someone who cost a world record transfer for a defender?
    Then, when he has Maguire in the camp, he finds out he's a really genuine, likeable guy, who's good on the training ground and brings something to the dressing room and follows the manager's instructions.

It's the British trait - knock someone down, then try to build them up again.
    Plenty of assumptions there. I'm not telling you anything. All i can think is that Southgate obviously rates Maguire. This is international football, not club football. It's not like Southgate is being pressured by the owners to play him, or the Fans, And it's not like Southgate doesn't have more choice at his disposal. He obviously rates him.

Plenty of assumptions there. I'm not telling you anything. All i can think is that Southgate obviously rates Maguire. This is international football, not club football. It's not like Southgate is being pressured by the owners to play him, or the Fans, And it's not like Southgate doesn't have more choice at his disposal. He obviously rates him.
    I'd suggest that Southgate is being blindly loyal.

I think he would stand out head and shoulders in lower championship.

I'd suggest that Southgate is being blindly loyal.
    That is a possibility. I don't think i've ever watched Maguire play, unless i saw him for Leicester when we turned them over at their place (Camarasa Goal) But i'm thinking that he can't be as bad as so many people are saying. He does have some pedigree.

I think he would stand out head and shoulders in lower championship.
    Possibly.

I am genuinely considered about the boys mental health, it went beyond 'banter' a long time ago. Getting jeered by other teams fans at away grounds, booed by his own fans playing for his country in Wembley.

Go on social media and the amount of supposedly comedic videos and edits of him is alarming, he has become an online meme in many respects. Someone needs to either speak out or take him out of the spotlight for a little bit, because I would be livid when I see the same people who have been bullying him online and at matches, acting all surprised and shocked if the lad reaches a point when he can not take anymore.

I agree with a comment earlier in this thread, that he’s being bullied. Both by the media and fans in general.
    Nothing wrong with criticism, but sometimes it goes way too far, and it’s not good for a players confidence or mental health.
    Has anyone else on here read the story of our very own Hugh Fergusson (1927 FA cup winning goal scorer) and what happened to him ?

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I am genuinely considered about the boys mental health, it went beyond 'banter' a long time ago. Getting jeered by other teams fans at away grounds, booed by his own fans playing for his country in Wembley.

Go on social media and the amount of supposedly comedic videos and edits of him is alarming, he has become an online meme in many respects. Someone needs to either speak out or take him out of the spotlight for a little bit, because I would be livid when I see the same people who have been bullying him online and at matches, acting all surprised and shocked if the lad reaches a point when he can not take anymore.
    The same idiots who ridicule him online or on social media are probably the type of Twats who are all over mental health, and how it affects them, or how 'brave' they've been etc. There's some right scumbags about.

100%