+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Binmen strike for longer and the odd binwomen

International

Binmen strike for longer and the odd binwomen

Great so while crawling around Cardiff at 20mph, you'll get a lovely odour of bins, and can play fly-tipping and rat spotting!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rdiff-27701982

International

Re: Binmen strike for longer and the odd binwomen

Use this to check when yours will be collected as it will be all over the place for a while - https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resid...s/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Great so while crawling around Cardiff at 20mph, you'll get a lovely odour of bins, and can play fly-tipping and rat spotting!

Do you approve of this continual austerity for our public service workers?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't think about it?

I believe in unions and taking a stand against bad employers.

A bin strike is bad news though.

I don't think about it?
    Well now it’s impacting you and you are thinking about it. Seems like the strike is doing part of what it’s supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Well now it’s impacting you and you are thinking about it. Seems like the strike is doing part of what it’s supposed to.
    A lot of areas of the UK use private refuse collectors because - like Cardiff - the service is f****g useless.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    A lot of areas of the UK use private refuse collectors because - like Cardiff - the service is f****g useless.
    F****g useless with the private contractor or the in-house? (You need another *)

In Sheffield the bin collection service was privatised (outsourced) in 2001. It was pretty good with the in-house service before; it has been pretty good under the private contractor Amey since. Both have had (rare) strikes.

Amey provide a cheaper service to the Council partly because they reduced terms and conditions for new starters after they won the contract. There are some 'bells and whistles' sweeteners in the deal for the Council, some economies of scale by the company (part of a massive conglomerate and now private equity owned), and some loss of public money into private dividends and executive salaries.

Amey also won the 25 year Streets Ahead road maintenance (plus verges and trees) £2bn contract in 2012 - so have their hands on most of the visible Council 'works' services - although not council home maintenance. I am not impressed with their highways work.

Mixed picture - but not a clear argument for privatisation of public services!

Such a wonderful place at the moment…..

Use this to check when yours will be collected as it will be all over the place for a while - https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resid...s/default.aspx
    Last week I checked that site and it said my food waste, green bags and garden waste would be collected the next day, so I (and the rest of the street) put them all out.
    On the next day (normall collection day) everything was cancelled apart from food waste, so it all had to be brought back in.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not sure a bin strike works though, You don't get paid for two weeks, and when you get back you collect a month's worth of smelly bin rubbish instead of two weeks?

Stop overtime so there is no benefit just work faster to catch up.

They may be better just negotiating.

International

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Last week I checked that site and it said my food waste, green bags and garden waste would be collected the next day, so I (and the rest of the street) put them all out.
    On the next day (normall collection day) everything was cancelled apart from food waste, so it all had to be brought back in.
    Yes sign up for the email, that seems more up to date, but with a strike, there are still going to be mistakes like that until the backlog has cleared probably November.

Years ago (yes I’m off reminiscing again ), we had the same binmen every week, you got to know their first names and every week you knew that your bins were collected, there was no mess left outside your houses and at the end of the year you gave them a Christmas bonus (money or pressie)

These days, I don’t think we’ve had the same bin collectors twice, it’s normally some youngsters who don’t give a toss about the mess they leave behind them, no respect for the job or the streets that they serve.

How can they seriously ask for more money, when they are not doing the job asked of them properly now

RANT OVER, apart from, They Got No Respect for the job

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Years ago (yes I’m off reminiscing again ), we had the same binmen every week, you got to know their first names and every week you knew that your bins were collected, there was no mess left outside your houses and at the end of the year you gave them a Christmas bonus (money or pressie)

These days, I don’t think we’ve had the same bin collectors twice, it’s normally some youngsters who don’t give a toss about the mess they leave behind them, no respect for the job or the streets that they serve.

How can they seriously ask for more money, when they are not doing the job asked of them properly now

RANT OVER, apart from, They Got No Respect for the job
    wouldnt say its a rant you are correct ,when one of the crew go on holiday with us i get missed because the others cant be bothered to walk 30 yards

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    F****g useless with the private contractor or the in-house? (You need another *)

In Sheffield the bin collection service was privatised (outsourced) in 2001. It was pretty good with the in-house service before; it has been pretty good under the private contractor Amey since. Both have had (rare) strikes.

Amey provide a cheaper service to the Council partly because they reduced terms and conditions for new starters after they won the contract. There are some 'bells and whistles' sweeteners in the deal for the Council, some economies of scale by the company (part of a massive conglomerate and now private equity owned), and some loss of public money into private dividends and executive salaries.

Amey also won the 25 year Streets Ahead road maintenance (plus verges and trees) £2bn contract in 2012 - so have their hands on most of the visible Council 'works' services - although not council home maintenance. I am not impressed with their highways work.

Mixed picture - but not a clear argument for privatisation of public services!
    It's more to do with the frequency/limits/restriction etc. In parts of N.Wales some collections have become monthly. My son in Herts. has 3 large bins each of which are collected weekly. Accepted a better-off L.A. but that can't wholly account for the huge difference in service levels.

When you screw more and more out of people and services this is the result

Thatcher and the twats who voted for her kept screwing

Then privatised

Then as money talks......the screwing continues

The bins , care services , transport, utilities

On and on it goes

And then when people do say we have had enough or what about a pay rise ? .......

It's all the fault of the bin men , carers , bus drivers , train drivers , doctors , nurses , cleaners

And those that brought all this crap in get the ordinary people who are understandably pissed off to slag off the workers and do their dirty work for them

People who continually vote for austerity complain as they experience the inevitable results of austerity. It'd be ****ing hilarious if it wasn't so predictable and damaging.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    People who continually vote for austerity complain as they experience the inevitable results of austerity. It'd be ****ing hilarious if it wasn't so predictable and damaging.
    It's local council mismanagement and wastage that's causing the problems not austerity!

Labour support is strike action, then when they go bust in Birmingham they blame wage inflation as the main reason!

So you're telling your staff they should strike for more, then when you go bust it's because we had to pay the staff we encouraged to strike for more money, more money!

It's more to do with the frequency/limits/restriction etc. In parts of N.Wales some collections have become monthly. My son in Herts. has 3 large bins each of which are collected weekly. Accepted a better-off L.A. but that can't wholly account for the huge difference in service levels.
    The differences in service levels around the country - and over time - are stark.

We now have four wheelie bins: big black one for general waste (collected every 2 weeks); big brown one for cans, plastics and glass (collected every 4 weeks); small blue one for paper and card (collected every 4 weeks) and a paid-for green garden waste bin (collected every 2 weeks for 6 months of the year). In every case the frequency is half what it was when the service was first privatised over 20 years ago.

I have spent some time recently trying to clear my aunt's house in the Vale after (and before) she died last month. I can't get my head around waste bags (chewed up by dogs and foxes) and the restrictions on disposal of food waste. I tried to empty her freezer of decades old crap a few months back and ended up driving it all back to Sheffield in the boot of the car to get rid of it. I know it's the same down in Cornwall but I can't understand why any council (with in house or contracted collections) wouldn't use wheelie bins.

International

Is the rubbish one Labour?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...e-run-27850760

Cardiff waste collection strike which has run for over a month set to continue into November

I know someone who used to work at Lamby Way. Apparently, the relationship between the council management and the union leadership has been toxic for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...e-run-27850760

Cardiff waste collection strike which has run for over a month set to continue into November
    It's not just waste collection. It's a strike by Unite members who do all sorts of different jobs.
    Waste is still being collected by people who aren't Unite members. However, some waste collectors are striking so the service is reduced, no garden waste collections.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    It's not just waste collection. It's a strike by Unite members who do all sorts of different jobs.
    Waste is still being collected by people who aren't Unite members. However, some waste collectors are striking so the service is reduced, no garden waste collections.
    Yep no garden waste collected since late august maybe? Prob only need to pick this one up and no need again until spring but hey ho everyone’s green bin is full and left out in vain hope along with piles of green bags getting ripped apart. Never been right since they went to a 4 day week, it is toxic, mate if mine just left after 20 yrs with them.

well all my waste has been collected