+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifeboat Tavern, Little Frederick St.

Lifeboat Tavern, Little Frederick St.

Seen a pic of this boozer taken in 1977.
    I’ve lived in Cardiff all my life, but have never even heard of this place, let alone been in there.

Re: Lifeboat Tavern, Little Frederick St.

Used to go in there on Friday & Saturday nights in the 70’s

Side gate to St David’s school was alongside it.

Used to be one of my father's favourite place back many decades ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Brings back memories of Dave Haggarts (spelling) stag night (llanrumney boy)

Is that an Ansells sign outside? I can remember The Penn, in Llanedyrn being an Ansells pub, and weren't Birmingham City sponsored by them? Haven't seen them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Is that an Ansells sign outside? I can remember The Penn, in Llanedyrn being an Ansells pub, and weren't Birmingham City sponsored by them? Haven't seen them for years.
    I thought it was a Welsh Brewers pub, Albright bitter

So sad that the pubs and narrow streets around that area have disappeared. Could have been our very own ‘old town’, the likes of which many European cities have.......progress eh!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I thought it was a Welsh Brewers pub, Albright bitter
    You're probably right. I don't drink anymore, but when i did there was a tipple called Sunchaser (Shepherds Neame?)That was bloody lovely. Liked the Tiger brewery stuff in Leicester as well.

It’s the Bass 🔺 (Welsh Brewers was their Welsh Division)

We do have an ‘old town’. High Street, Church Street, St Mary Street, St John Street, Womanby Street, Quay Street etc.

I think that this area should officially be called Old Town. It is pretty old.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    We do have an ‘old town’. High Street, Church Street, St Mary Street, St John Street, Womanby Street, Quay Street etc.

I think that this area should officially be called Old Town. It is pretty old.
    Cardiff would most probably call it ‘The Old Quarter’, there’s about six quarters in town as it is

Challenge, what was the name of the Working Men’s Club just opposite the Lifeboat Inn ?
    We used to drink Newcastle Brown in there

No, I don’t know

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Cardiff would most probably call it ‘The Old Quarter’, there’s about six quarters in town as it is

Ah takes me back.
    Think that was the first time I'd ever seen "Ansells" the Pensylvania.

Looks like a Welsh Brewers logo in that pic though.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Ah takes me back.

If you went inside The Penn, you'd have seen a few 'Firsts' Back in the day, 80's early 90s it was rough, but a decent enough working class pub. Would get rammed on a friday and saturday. It went downhill significantly, and had to close in the end. The retreat is closed as well. The nearest pub is The Hollybush in Pentwyn or The Villiage, opposite Panasonic.

If you went inside The Penn, you'd have seen a few 'Firsts' Back in the day, 80's early 90s it was rough, but a decent enough working class pub. Would get rammed on a friday and saturday. It went downhill significantly, and had to close in the end. The retreat is closed as well. The nearest pub is The Hollybush in Pentwyn or The Villiage, opposite Panasonic.
    I'm talking very late 70's, I don't think it had been open long.

A beer and a Pool table was all I was interested in.

Encountered no trouble at all.

I'm talking very late 70's, I don't think it had been open long.

A beer and a Pool table was all I was interested in.

Encountered no trouble at all.
    It got frisky during the 90s, and got worse from there. Something happened to llanedeyrn, it's like a ghost town up there now, not a nice place. The leisure centre in Pentwyn has been gifted out to Cardiff Blues, so the public can't use it anymore. Absolutely shocking in any area, never mind one that is deprived and where there is hardly anything to do, or near by.

It got frisky during the 90s, and got worse from there. Something happened to llanedeyrn, it's like a ghost town up there now, not a nice place. The leisure centre in Pentwyn has been gifted out to Cardiff Blues, so the public can't use it anymore. Absolutely shocking in any area, never mind one that is deprived and where there is hardly anything to do, or near by.
    Yup. Sign of the times I'm afraid.
    Llanedyrn and Pentwyn are not the only ghost town areas in Cardiff.
    Excluding Cardiff Bay, the docks has only one or two pubs left, Grangetown has the same and Splott I believe even less!

Breweries and governments got too greedy.

Edit: forgot about Ely

Yup. Sign of the times I'm afraid.
    Llanedyrn and Pentwyn are not the only ghost town areas in Cardiff.
    Excluding Cardiff Bay, the docks has only one or two pubs left, Grangetown has the same and Splott I believe even less!

Breweries and governments got too greedy.

Edit: forgot about Ely
    Is the Bute Dock still open?
    I used to go there on a Sunday, during the times of the old licencing hours (12pm-2pm).
    Drink in there until about 5-6pm and then walk the short distance to Babs' Kitchen, stay in there most of the evening.
    Never saw a hint of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I used to go there on a Sunday, during the times of the old licencing hours (12pm-2pm).
    Drink in there until about 5-6pm and then walk the short distance to Babs' Kitchen, stay in there most of the evening.
    I think the Bute Dock has gone, and 'Babs passed away, about a year or so back.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Challenge, what was the name of the Working Men’s Club just opposite the Lifeboat Inn ?
    We used to drink Newcastle Brown in there

No, I don’t know
    Was the transport club down there? My grampy, who used to drive buses, used to take me there to play snooker on the full size tables upstairs. I had to stand on a crate just to reach the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The Bute Dock closed its doors a number of years ago now, maybe ten? and is now a barbers / hairdressers i think.

The only "older" pubs left are the Packet and Eli Jenkins plus the old ship and pilot which I believe is more of a nightclub.

The "local" is a thing of the past, it's all about cram 'em in, make what you can and get 'em out.

Ah takes me back.

the landlady at that time was a sour old!!( i was 17) "time ladies and gents, come on now , you've had your fun" at kick out time