+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minutes silence before game tomorrow

International

Re: Minutes silence before game tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    Could be for the mother of the Swansea chairman who has just passed away, just guessing
    No chance of that then.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    "In recent days, we have all witnessed the devastation and trauma facing those living in Morocco and Libya.

The EFL is supporting the British Red Cross’ emergency appeals to help all those impacted.

As a mark of respect to those who have tragically lost their lives, the Bluebirds will be wearing black armbands and holding a minute’s silence at Saturday's fixture."
    Definitely don't do that at a game like this, it won't be honored, it's the wrong game and at the wrong time.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    There'll be a minute's silence before all Premier League and EFL games over the weekend from what I can make out.
    There won't be today, no chance of everyone being silent.

Well that went well.......

The crowd was getting hyped up for 30 minutes then expected a silence. Very ill conceived despite the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Well that went well.......
    Yes, the minute silence almost completely ignored as anticipated. Thankfully Sky commentators didn't dwell on it to compound the embarrassment.

From the family stand it seemed most of the crowd started to observe the silence until the jacks started after a few seconds

It was doomed from the start. Firstly an applause for someone whilst players were lined up wearing black armbands, then an inaudible speech over the tannoy about Libya and Morocco. The ref very wisely ended the 'minute' early.

From my view it was spoiled by a jack who shouted ‘Bluebirds’ to make it look like Cardiff had disrupted it. That was the trigger for the noise to rise as the crowd reacted to the shout.

Millwall v Leeds just did a minutes applause. Sky said club chose to do that.

That's what we should have done.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Of course we should have, what the hell were they thinking, it was so obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Absolutely

Minutes silences at big events where alcohol has been consumed is daft

It was always going to fail, a local derby at 7.45 in the evening

I thought the Swansea fans were very respectful. Full 90 minutes plus added time silence

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Absolutely

Minutes silences at big events where alcohol has been consumed is daft
    I get your point but I thought the Jack support last night were relatively alcohol free due to the travel arrangements?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I get your point but I thought the Jack support last night were relatively alcohol free due to the travel arrangements?
    I don’t actually know of the alcohol situation for the swansea fans but they only accounted for 1/14th of the crowd so it makes no difference to sludges point does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    I don’t actually know of the alcohol situation for the swansea fans but they only accounted for 1/14th of the crowd so it makes no difference to sludges point does it?
    I'm not sure? I thought the widely held belief was it was Swansea who initially did not observe the minutes silence?

Have seen a video of it which confirms that the first thing to break the silence was a shout of “bluebirds” - can’t say whether the claims that came from a Swansea fan trying to make us look bad are true or not mind.

More proof that a minutes silence is a minute too long for some fans to adhere to.
    It’s a shame, but as Sludge has said above, a minutes applause and cheering is the way forward to counter act the arseholes and numbskulls.
    Although that wouldn’t have been appropriate yesterday, as it was all about a tragedy. So as in many other walks of life, the minority win over the majority, and it should have been scrapped.

It it wasn’t deemed appropriate at a (rugby) World Cup event, why was it done at domestic football?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Have seen a video of it which confirms that the first thing to break the silence was a shout of “bluebirds” - can’t say whether the claims that came from a Swansea fan trying to make us look bad are true or not mind.
    I sat in the family stand on Saturday which I never do. The consensus there was the Jack's initially broke the minutes silence.

For me it was 50/50 as there were a few beauts on each side of the segregated area who were flapping about and gesturing at each other. It was inevitable the minutes silence wouldn't be observed.

The most disappointing aspect is that the crowd on a whole couldn't even get it together for a former player for both clubs.

I understand a minutes applause for a former player etc as it’s recognising their achievement etc and in most cases it’s better.

For a major world disaster though I don’t think it works.

I think it’s either a silence or nothing. Given the circumstances on Saturday it might have been wise to postpone ours until Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It it wasn’t deemed appropriate at a (rugby) World Cup event, why was it done at domestic football?
    What went wrong with the rugby one after? They seemed geared up for it here, who deemed it inappropriate?

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/n...ya-and-morocco

I felt City got caught between a rock and a hard place on Saturday. Obviously it didn't look good when the inevitable happened but it wouldn't have looked good either if we were the only Premier League or EFL club not acknowledging the tragedies. Damned if we did, damned if we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    What went wrong with the rugby one after? They seemed geared up for it here, who deemed it inappropriate?

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/n...ya-and-morocco

I felt City got caught between a rock and a hard place on Saturday. Obviously it didn't look good when the inevitable happened but it wouldn't have looked good either if we were the only Premier League or EFL club not acknowledging the tragedies. Damned if we did, damned if we didn't.
    What the club should do is repeat this tomorrow night, to show that we at least know how to behave in these circumstances
    Unlike the great unwashed from down west

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    A mate of my son who is a jack said they turned up for their buses on the scheduled time and were turned away so they went to the pub having come from the pub and also saw a video of one his mates being strapped with about 8 bottles of wine to his torso - apparently did the same last year and it worked 🤔