+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pele is the GOAT, end of argument !!!!

Pele is the GOAT, end of argument !!!!

Re: Pele is the GOAT, end of argument !!!!

Diego.

Argument back on.

Maradona. End of argument.

Football's a team game. No such thing as 'GOAT'.

F*cking ‘Ell, Ollie Tanner has had a sharp fall from grace

Maradona isnt in the same league as any of the other contenders, wouldn't make the top 5.
    at his best as good as anyone, but there weren't enough times we actually saw it, nowhere near the consistency as the others

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Maradona isnt in the same league as any of the other contenders, wouldn't make the top 5.
    at his best as good as anyone, but there weren't enough times we actually saw it, nowhere near the consistency as the others
    Get in the bin

John Charles, Centre half or Centre forward the goat.

Not in the same League I enjoy reading your stuff, but fair play, you've had a shocker with that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Not in the same League I enjoy reading your stuff, but fair play, you've had a shocker with that comment.
    not just my opinion, I've heard plenty of people better informed than me or you saying the same. including the likes of tim Vickery etc.

for arguments sake, which years was maradona operating at his peak?

Oh dear, are you getting confused with his sister Mary Donna ?

As for Diego, you're talking about the joint greatest footballer of all time, along with Lionel Messi in my humble opinion, and yes I was around when Pele was at his peak.

not just my opinion, I've heard plenty of people better informed than me or you saying the same. including the likes of tim Vickery etc.

Well, if other people have said it then that must add weight to your opinion. Doesn't matter really, it's what you think, and i just think you're wrong. I don't really want to do the old greatest player of all time debate, because its subjective. For me, Maradona is the best footballer i have ever seen, and not just for his ability with a football. You see differently, that's fine.

When discussing this subject, folk have to remember that the older players up to Maradona, had to display their talent whilst trying to avoid career ending tackles and virtual assaults, whilst todays top players are protected, and quite rightly so, by refs and footballing authorities.

Ive never heard or read Vickery saying Maradona wasnt in the same league. Ive read him say weve never witnessed before or since a World Cup tournament display by anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    When discussing this subject, folk have to remember that the older players up to Maradona, had to display their talent whilst trying to avoid career ending tackles and virtual assaults, whilst todays top players are protected, and quite rightly so, by refs and footballing authorities.
    Maradona was routinely assaulted on a football pitch. But, i'm sure that if Messi or Ronny had played during that era then they woild have been subject to the same treatment, and like all genius's, they would have found a way around it, they would still be the best, the same as Maradona did.

Maradona was routinely assaulted on a football pitch. But, i'm sure that if Messi or Ronny had played during that era then they woild have been subject to the same treatment, and like all genius's, they would have found a way around it, they would still be the best, the same as Maradona did.
    Or you could argue, that players like Maradona, Best etc, would have been even better with the protection that modern day players get. It’s all about opinions.

The Coke Years

Pele

Who was also kicked about the park

No whinging from him though

Of players I've actually seen in my lifetime, Cruyff was the best.

OK, not as many goals a the strikers mentioned, but he could galvanise the players around him.
    How the Dutch didn't win the WC in the 70s is one of life's mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Of players I've actually seen in my lifetime, Cruyff was the best.

OK, not as many goals a the strikers mentioned, but he could galvanise the players around him.
    How the Dutch didn't win the WC in the 70s is one of life's mysteries.
    Top 4
    Maradona
    Messi
    Pele
    Crujff

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Coke Years
    The only thing people do on Coke is talk more, it's a coppers dream. The words 'You have the right to remain silent' are absolutely meaningless

The only thing people do on Coke is talk more, it's a coppers dream. The words 'You have the right to remain silent' are absolutely meaningless
    I preferred Billy

Wow what complete and utter codswallop

R9 and Zidane are in the conversation

I think it's clearly Messi though

Maradona 100% makes the top 5