+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

I just read that Lee Walters claimed £14,186.98 in car expenses... And £440 for train expenses for 3 trips...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...aimed-26382933

I don't have a huge issue with politicians having expenses and using private transport sometimes, as it isn't always convenient..although he could show more contrition to road users as a result..

But if he is regularly using it between Penarth and Llanelli then that is pretty bad as that's a very doable train journey.

So Waters has two homes apparently and lives about 90 minutes from his constituency. Out of interest why isn’t a local resident representing that area? Also, do we help pay for one/ both of those homes? Not sure if anyone on here know the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    36 pages of people dismissing road safety statistics, and catastrophising about how this will collapse Welsh society as we know it , disagree with you sorry.
    Thats twice you have missed the point now. If it was just all about the 20mph then probably people wouldn’t be so vociferous about but there is a catalogue of mistakes and stupid policies which indicate that Labour in Wales couldn't care less about motorists or the general population and are in it for themselves and to make headlines. They are running Welsh business, the NHS and transport, into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    You’re right. It isn’t really about that. It’s about causing a big distraction from the most inept, corrupt and discredited Westminster government in history whilst passing these same bandits off as our saviours from the dreaded Welsh Government.
    It would be rather strange if the Welsh Senedd Labour government were deliberately introducing a range of insane policies, just on the basis of covering up what the Conservative government in London is doing, don't you think. I know they are stupid but that would take stupidity to a whole new level. On the other hand, you could be insinuating that the people who have signed the petition and are kicking up a fuss are deliberately trying to do this to hide the UK government failings, which is a particularly patronising and insulting attitude to have. This gives an indication that you may be one of those people who would vote labour in Wales, no matter what they did, which to me is a reprehensible attitude and has led us to being in this mess in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    It would be rather strange if the Welsh Senedd Labour government were deliberately introducing a range of insane policies, just on the basis of covering up what the Conservative government in London is doing, don't you think. I know they are stupid but that would take stupidity to a whole new level. On the other hand, you could be insinuating that the people who have signed the petition and are kicking up a fuss are deliberately trying to do this to hide the UK government failings, which is a particularly patronising and insulting attitude to have. This gives an indication that you may be one of those people who would vote labour in Wales, no matter what they did, which to me is a reprehensible attitude and has led us to being in this mess in the first place.
    what's insane about the 20mph policy?
    if it was so insane why has it also been successfully introduced in many other countries worldwide?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what's insane about the 20mph policy?
    if it was so insane why has it also been successfully introduced in many other countries worldwide?
    It's not insane or extreme, but unfortunately that's the language that people have chosen for political discourse. Same with Liz Truss 'crashing' the economy, Brexit being a 'disaster' etc etc.

I think the policy is probably well meaning but ultimately misguided, totally unnecessary and govt overreach, but saying such things doesn't get as much airtime, unfortunately

Third week of going for my weekly shop to Aldi’s Porth this morning. I set out ten minutes earlier than normal this morning following the really bad traffic jams (by the standards of that road) of the previous two weeks. As I had hoped it made all of the difference, traffic was light all the way down to Porth - it was just like it was before the new speed limit. I did find it frustrating and a bit pointless that I could see.about a hundred yards of clear road ahead and I’m limited to pootling along at a speed that doesn’t feel right - I don’t want to be able to drive at 50 mph or anything, just at the 30 mph I’m used to. I suppose I’ll eventually get used to it, but I am wondering if it’s all worth it at the moment.

It isn't just really about that though is it. It is about scrapping the whole Wales road building scheme, including the M4 relief road. Its about writing off £51m of our money that they gave away in LOANS to dodgy companies during Covid (which they will never get back). It is about the way that they have run the Wales NHS into the ground. It is about the shambolic way the Welsh Education system is run. It is about the way they handled Covid, including having a health minister who admitted that he never read any of the analysis/advice documents his department was given by the experts. It is about the dictatorial way they treat the people they are supposed to represent. And yet, after all this, there are still people that would vote for them, just to ‘keep the Tories out’.
    Do you know how many people the Senedd allowed to be hired in order to chase this money ?
    Answer - 1 person - and I met him. A few years back at a function, ended up talking to someone - we exchanged the usual chit chat - and he explained what his job was. 'Oh you must have have a big team to goo after all those that basically stole money off the tax payer,?' I said - 'well urm - not really Im the only one' he said rather embarrassed by it.
    He said it was an impossible task for one person. This was about 18 months or so ago - maybe they hired more - but it doesnt sound like it.

The bible according to dml…..the WAG make mistakes on a daily basis…….Cardiff City AFC haven’t made a mistake in their 124 years

Over 400,000 people sign a petition for no other reason than being pissed off.My view is once the month on month stats become available the opposition to this will evaporate (or at least it's credibility) if said stats show a big reduction in reported accidents and/or a serious reduction in deaths/serious injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Do you know how many people the Senedd allowed to be hired in order to chase this money ?
    Answer - 1 person - and I met him. A few years back at a function, ended up talking to someone - we exchanged the usual chit chat - and he explained what his job was. 'Oh you must have have a big team to goo after all those that basically stole money off the tax payer,?' I said - 'well urm - not really Im the only one' he said rather embarrassed by it.
    He said it was an impossible task for one person. This was about 18 months or so ago - maybe they hired more - but it doesnt sound like it.
    So, did you meet this chap "a few years back" or "about 18 months or so ago"?

If you're going to make up a story at least try to be consistent with the dates

Perhaps you need to log out and return with a different username. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    So, did you meet this chap "a few years back" or "about 18 months or so ago"?

If you're going to make up a story at least try to be consistent with the dates

Perhaps you need to log out and return with a different username. Again.
    Is he from Cwmbran ?

Rishi Sunak’s own Tory-run North Yorkshire council is expanding 20mph zones arguing they are ‘safer’.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/ri...-zones-2656753

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Rishi Sunak’s own Tory-run North Yorkshire council is expanding 20mph zones arguing they are ‘safer’.

He'll turn it around and highlight how it's right for councils in certain areas to make local decisions that are right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Nearly half a million.

Don't forget this won't even include the whopping amounts that are yet to sign, or will not sign at all. Just bear in mind the "not sign at all" category. A vast amount of over-60s who won't do a poll on their life support machine (sorry, I meant mobile phone), laptop, or PC, like the 16-35 cohorts. Nor will it include the vast amount of people in Swansea that cannot even read and understand the simple poll options. Plus those high on crack and permanently drunk who cannot see the screen straight. The huge student population of Pontypridd, Cardiff, Swansea, Carmarthen, Bangor and the shite former polytechnic in Newport who are all high as a kite on skunk. Then there are those in poverty who didn't pay their bills and had their electricity and internet cut off. Plus the homeless. Then all the refugees in Newport who are either linguistically non-grata, or making the effort to get up to speed with the language. Now you're talking a serious minority, perhaps a majority, who are not in favour of this dumb law.

It makes a mockery of the Welsh government's claims that these were "popular with the local public" as they claimed. Many will perceive this as a deliberate lie to the public. This was a law passed by force. For a Welsh Labour party whose only (very good) skill has been to retain power without making big mistakes, due to Lib Dem weakness and the combined Plaid-o-phobia / Tory-phobia, this has been the first serious faux pas I have seen from them in years.

A mistake that neither the highly intelligent Carwyn Jones nor Rhodri Morgan's shrewd politically antenna would have committed, but seemed all to too easy for Dripford to make. Welsh Labour will ship votes for this, but the sheep will still vote for them in their droves, no doubt.

It will take an army of stormtroopers to massacre large swathes of Welsh families, or income tax to be 99%, before people have the sense to turf Welsh Labour out. It hasn't happened since 1999, and won't happen for a long time yet. Perhaps when we go "Full Retard Venezuela", we might, just might, consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    He'll turn it around and highlight how it's right for councils in certain areas to make local decisions that are right for them.
    I watched him maintaining that inflation is a tax yesterday, so that’s another one he’s increased.

International

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post

That is the problem if one area gets away with it others will try and follow it is setting a precedent.

Hopefully they will kick off and stop it before it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    That is the problem if one area gets away with it others will try and follow it is setting a precedent.

see also Cornwall, Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels etc etc

From my travels around Cardiff - I'd say about 80% of just ignoring 20mph

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    From my travels around Cardiff - I'd say about 80% of just ignoring 20mph
    I've seen a few people driving at say 22 or 24 on the odd occasion, but these would probably have been driving at 34 if it was a 30 zone.
    the vast majority of people are sticking to the limit in my experience.

are you mostly driving around at 3 am or something?

I've seen a few people driving at say 22 or 24 on the odd occasion, but these would probably have been driving at 34 if it was a 30 zone.
    the vast majority of people are sticking to the limit in my experience.

are you mostly driving around at 3 am or something?
    He's driving people mad is the answer.

Get away with it?
    Didn't Rishi say last week that to combat Labour's 'war on motorists' he was going to give power to individual councils to decide - I guess that includes Conservative run councils too.

International

see also Cornwall, Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels etc etc
    You can't drive over 20mph in any of them they are congested (well tourist time in Cornwall)

Plus just because other Cities have idiotic ideas, don't bring them here at great expense as a priority over far more important needs needs.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Get away with it?
    Didn't Rishi say last week that to combat Labour's 'war on motorists' he was going to give power to individual councils to decide - I guess that includes Conservative run councils too.
    Yes, of course, that's good it's not a blanket policy all over England, we can already see its labour councils that love gimmicky daft attention-seeing ideas, then beg for more money when they go bust.

In Wales, it was sneaked in and Labour can do whatever they want. Other council areas will get advanced warning and get it stopped.