+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

International

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    Stop being pedantic.

If the number reaches 3 million then yes the country is against it. But the population of Wales is approximately 3.2 million, with 300,000 petitioning against it. That gives a total of
    9.4% of the population against it. Not exactly a landslide.

It is not whether I am right or wrong, it is a question of whether it better for the citizens of this country or not. Time will show which side is right, but I would rather be on the side that tries to improve the country than the side that says that nothing can be done.
    9.4% of the population is massive, for a petition!!!!

It's not an election, people have had to find it and take their own time to sign it, this is big news whether you like it or not.

If you add in all the population that it doesn't affect like yourself, it's even more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Just realised he doesn't drive, so it no longer impacts him, that's why he is in the minority and doesn't care about people with busy lives who are being affected by stupid ideas, like don't drive five miles, don't drive faster than twenty.

It is great the petition is growing it shows people have had enough, and there is much more chance of backtracking, we are seeing the first signs already, and support for it is non-existent now.
    He was a paramedic, so he would have witnessed the aftermath of what it was like for a person who had been hit by a vehicle ar 30 mph. You think it's a bad idea, fair enough. Then why don't you set up a protest group or something similar instead of repeating yourself on here. Get out there, the fresh air will do you some good.

If you believe that you are either his Son, if so how have you got hold of a phone, or completely brainwashed by some crazy cult or something because it is all utter nonsense?
    There is no need to get personal. That just shows that you have lost the argument. It also shows that you cannot argue your point so you have to resort to infantile language.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He was a paramedic, so he would have witnessed the aftermath of what it was like for a person who had been hit by a vehicle ar 30 mph. You think it's a bad idea, fair enough. Then why don't you set up a protest group or something similar instead of repeating yourself on here. Get out there, the fresh air will do you some good.
    I will, and it will, just have to watch while the overtaking of the cars when I walk down the hill

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yes you do, you have to have a Welsh address/postcode otherwise you cant vote. This is capable of being checked and the system filters out anyone who has already voted or is not in a Welsh area.
    I thought you could sign the petition from outside Wales. Your signature would be included in the total but not in the constituency map that breaks down the figures. ART says that 96% of signatories are from within Wales.

International

There is no need to get personal. That just shows that you have lost the argument. It also shows that you cannot argue your point so you have to resort to infantile language.
    Ok fair enough it is nonsense, people shouldn't try and defend things that are daft, but you are entitled to your opinion

Just realised he doesn't drive, so it no longer impacts him, that's why he is in the minority and doesn't care about people with busy lives who are being affected by stupid ideas, like don't drive five miles, don't drive faster than twenty.

It is great the petition is growing it shows people have had enough, and there is much more chance of backtracking, we are seeing the first signs already, and support for it is non-existent now.
    So you are saying that because I no longer drive I’m not allowed to have my opinion, despite driving for more than 40 years. I did not ask to have MND, but don’t worry I will not be alive this time next year to argue with you, so you win.

It is his way
    pathetic

So you are saying that because I no longer drive I’m not allowed to have my opinion, despite driving for more than 40 years. I did not ask to have MND, but don’t worry I will not be alive this time next year to argue with you, so you win.
    His argument is flawed, unless he discounts a certain percentage of people who have signed the petition who aren't drivers. That would knock a few thousand off the total.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    It is his way
    pathetic
    It is pathetic, and sad. I have no issues with people who are against the 20 mph speed limit in built up areas, more power to them, even though I don't agree with them. But to sit on a football message board day after day regurgitating the same bollocks is pretty ****ing desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    20 in 4th? No chance…..you like talking nonsense right?
    Stop being pedantic.

If the number reaches 3 million then yes the country is against it. But the population of Wales is approximately 3.2 million, with 300,000 petitioning against it. That gives a total of

It is not whether I am right or wrong, it is a question of whether it better for the citizens of this country or not. Time will show which side is right, but I would rather be on the side that tries to improve the country than the side that says that nothing can be done.
    I’m not sure what proportion of the 3.2 Million are adults or even drivers
    But if it’s around 1.5 Million, then 20% of the electorate have signed a petition to raise their concerns about the idea or the way it’s being introduced.

Whatever way you slice it and dice it, to me it demonstrates that WAG has either totally underestimated the feelings of the electorate, or haven’t done enough work to sell the idea properly
    and that just comes across as arrogance on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    But if it’s around 1.5 Million, then 20% of the electorate have signed a petition to raise their concerns about the idea or the way it’s being introduced.

Whatever way you slice it and dice it, to me it demonstrates that WAG has either totally underestimated the feelings of the electorate, or haven’t done enough work to sell the idea properly
    And this is a well reasoned post, no points scoring

Yes you do, you have to have a Welsh address/postcode otherwise you cant vote. This is capable of being checked and the system filters out anyone who has already voted or is not in a Welsh area.
    Incorrect.

I signed the petition and I have a postcode in England.

Whether they filter out non-Welsh postcodes subsequently is another matter but you can definitely sign the petition without having a Welsh postcode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Incorrect.

I signed the petition and I have a postcode in England.

Whether they filter out non-Welsh postcodes subsequently is another matter but you can definitely sign the petition without having a Welsh postcode.
    people in Zimbabwe, China and Korea have also signed it, you can see a lost on the website

I don't think the petition will change Mark Drakefords mind. What could though, is if a few MS's start raising concerns, if their constituents pressurise them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post

That is a good point, in the December 2021 election there was 2,307877 people registered to vote, of those only 47% voted, that would bring the total number who voted to approx 1,800000, leaving the percentage of the people who signed the petition to around 17% and increasing every minute, just checked it now stands at over 306000

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I don't think the petition will change Mark Drakefords mind. What could though, is if a few MS's start raising concerns, if their constituents pressurise them to do so.
    give it a few weeks and everyone will have gotten used to it and moved on with their lives.

the idiots who are currently out there driving at 20 in a 30 zone or higher will have also worked out what's what by then too

Whatever people say about petitions, there is no doubt that this is a huge one, by far the largest in the senedd's history and one that if applied across the UK would amount to some 6m signatories. That one trying to reverse Brexit the day after the vote got to 4m from recollection.

It's pretty significant and Labour would be foolish to ignore it.

I think we'll see some rowing back of it all, the return to 30 on several key urban roads and people will largely ignore it going forward, so all sides will take something from it

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post

I don't know if you're on a wind up and your posts are a massive wooosh for me and if that's the case, hats off to you
    Surely he can’t not be on a wind up?

That would mean he believes what he posts - and no one can be that dense, or obsessed, or incontinent.

Not sure if this hs already been posted.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...limit-27480524

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    A lot of the time on my route around Cardiff above 20 was a treat anyway.

What I most dislike is the mess they made of the roll out. It's like they chose which roads to keep 30 based on throwing darts at a map.

That or they still haven't taken down most of the 30 signs.

Shambles.
    Quite a few 30 signs still up around Penylan and Roath on roads that I'm pretty sure are supposed to be 20.

Stop being pedantic.

Over 300000 people think it is not better for the citizens of Wales and doesn't improve the country. This is one of the biggest Senedd petitions ever. If the WAG don't take any notice of it, they do so at their peril. It is only your opinion that the new limits are a good idea and over 300000 people disagree with you. You have absolutely no evidence that it will do any good.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Surely he can’t not be on a wind up?

That would mean he believes what he posts - and no one can be that (dense, or obsessed, or incontinent ) .
    You should know about the last 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    give it a few weeks and everyone will have gotten used to it and moved on with their lives.

the idiots who are currently out there driving at 20 in a 30 zone or higher will have also worked out what's what by then too
    I disagree. People will continue to ignore it. I haven't come across a driver who has stuck to 20mph today. People will stop bothering and will carry on as they have done as it is impossible to police.

Over 300000 people think it is not better for the citizens of Wales and doesn't improve the country. This is one of the biggest Senedd petitions ever. If the WAG don't take any notice of it, they do so at their peril. It is only your opinion that the new limits are a good idea and over 300000 people disagree with you. You have absolutely no evidence that it will do any good.
    On this rare occasion, I agree with you. It isn't one of the biggest Senedd petitions ever btw, it is THE biggest by a country mile. The suggestion from 79blue that it isn't representative of the population is utter rubbish.

The next thing that needs to happen is a voter intention survey asking the public if it intends voting differently over this issue. If it showed it is prepared to, Drakeford has a gun against his head.