+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Thornhill, Caerphilly Roads, were like a car park this morning
    In what way? Full of cars driving slowly because there's too many of them on the road, irrespective of what the signs say?
    Got to be careful in car parks though as there's pedestrians about, although NCB would probably prefer people not to walk around in car parks.

Isn’t the whole point that it’s easier to brake and avoid a collision altogether at 20mph?

I've heard a lot of people saying that they've found a lot more congestion and traffic today and yesterday.

I don't understand why that would be down to people doing 20 rather than 30, but no doubt I'm missing something really obvious?

I haven't noticed it being any different, but if I had, I'd have put it down to the fact that it's pissing down

International

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    You do know that roads and train tracks are different, right?

The logic is the same he's slowing the country's economy down, because if people are hit by moving vehicles at 20mph they are less likely to die, so he could do the same with trains, as I said if you don't step onto the road you won't get hit.

Of course, there will still be the odd drink/drug driver, speed limits won't apply to lawbreakers, but they will still plow off the road and into people and kill them.

I've heard a lot of people saying that they've found a lot more congestion and traffic today and yesterday.

I don't understand why that would be down to people doing 20 rather than 30, but no doubt I'm missing something really obvious?

I haven't noticed it being any different, but if I had, I'd have put it down to the fact that it's pissing down
    That’s true, Cardiff traffic grinds to a halt in the pissing down rain. More people, obviously, take the car. It’s been that way for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    The logic is the same he's slowing the country's economy down, because if people are hit by moving vehicles at 20mph they are less likely to die, so he could do the same with trains, as I said if you don't step onto the road you won't get hit.

Of course, there will still be the odd drink/drug driver, speed limits won't apply to lawbreakers, but they will still plow off the road and into people and kill them.
    Right so just to double check that I'm following you:

1) People regularly need to cross train tracks, they run parallel to everyone's houses, schools, shops and so on
    2) People should not cross the road unless they want to get knocked down

that's right?

It suits the argument to blame congestion this week on the new limits, at the same time conveniently ignoring bad weather, and people returning to school and work after the holidays. Poor little Chardonnay can't possibly walk to school in the rain either, so they rather sit in the Caerphilly Rd car park instead aswell.

Could be little things like traffic light synchs not being looked at causing big knock on effects. The whole thing has been pretty poorly thought out.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Isn’t the whole point that it’s easier to brake and avoid a collision altogether at 20mph?
    No the whole point is control and gimmicks, that's the excuse, otherwise why not 5mph, there would be less deaths again and it's far safer, or why not make cars illegal, no deaths?

It's nonsense, you know it, if Boris had suggested it you'd have had a heart attack, as it's drippy you're trying to make reasons to defend it.

International

Right so just to double check that I'm following you:

1) People regularly need to cross train tracks, they run parallel to everyone's houses, schools, shops and so on
    2) People should not cross the road unless they want to get knocked down

that's right?
    Two lefty defenders on this thread that's all, all the rest the rest have more brains and sense than to try and defend idiotic ideas.

I think give it a month and people will be fine with it, it's barely making any difference to 99% of journeys and it will save lives.

it also has some ancillary benefits, it does mean lower pollution, despite what some people have written on here and it also studies have shown it encourages more interactions across roads I e. people in trial areas more often interacted with people and shops across roads in 20mph areas than they did when it was 30mph, where interactions are far more concentrated on immediate neighbours on the same side.

I did observe yesterday going at 20mph along quite a main road that cars wanting to come out of side roads were finding it more difficult , especially those wanting to cross the traffic, as there were fewer “gaps” with everyone crawling at exactly the same speed, nobody going faster or slower than 20mph . May have been just a coincidence though

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I did observe yesterday going at 20mph along quite a main road that cars wanting to come out of side roads were finding it more difficult , especially those wanting to cross the traffic, as there were fewer “gaps” with everyone crawling at exactly the same speed, nobody going faster or slower than 20mph . May have been just a coincidence though
    that makes no sense

Two lefty defenders on this thread that's all, most of the rest have more sense than to try and defend idiotic ideas.
    I don't know what being left or right has to do with it, you literally just told me that I shouldn't cross the road if I don't want to get knocked down.

Coming from someone who blames lockdown at every turn, yet I can't go out without you running me over

And now it turns out I've got to look out for the bloody trains too!!

i think you just need time to get adjust to it, people just dont like change and blame whoever brought it in

Do you think it's possible there were just more cars than there's been recently due to pissing down rain and schools returning?

Just to test this, if I had to turn onto a road that was going at 60mph, I reckon that would be a lot harder than one at 30. So surely it stands to reason that 20 would be easier than 30, but this would be on the presumption that the number of cars was the same.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think give it a month and people will be fine with it, it's barely making any difference to 99% of journeys and it will save lives.

it also has some ancillary benefits, it does mean lower pollution, despite what some people have written on here and it also studies have shown it encourages more interactions across roads I e. people in trial areas more often interacted with people and shops across roads in 20mph areas than they did when it was 30mph, where interactions are far more concentrated on immediate neighbours on the same side.
    Probably because they are traveling at the same speed they can talk from the car to people walking their dogs.

I think I'll leave ten minutes earlier tomorrow and shave and eat my shredded wheat in the car, probably do some emails too, might as well look at the positives.

I don't know what being left or right has to do with it, you literally just told me that I shouldn't cross the road if I don't want to get knocked down.

Coming from someone who blames lockdown at every turn, yet I can't go out without you running me over

And now it turns out I've got to look out for the bloody trains too!!
    is the new metro trams up and running

Probably because they are traveling at the same speed they can talk from the car to people walking their dogs.

I think I'll leave ten minutes earlier tomorrow and shave and eat my shredded wheat in the car, probably do some emails too, might as well look at the positives.
    yes that's the spirit, it makes it a lot easier to text and drive as well

International

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    is the new metro trams up and running
    That will be scrapped it will cross a wetland and or pond of crested newts or something.

International

Six months time in Cardiff, half the population!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fall...5ofrSNDFA,st:0

I did laugh on the weekend when my takeaway delivery (from half a mile away) was two hours late and the driver unironically blamed it on the new speed limits.

I thought you said everyone would erupt on the 17th
    I shouldn't laugh, just got back from walking the dog and soaked, a train smashed through a puddle as I was just getting back into the street

Bit difficult if you have to cross a road or get in and out of a car parked car on the road.

in six months time it'll be old news, nobody will care about it any more