+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I know it is the Daily Mail but this online article is excellent and quite funny in parts. Sums it up for me,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...0RNFybKvRIVAhE
    Summed the current situation up nicely, and alas some people will vote Labour regardless

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Is that a good enough reason to vote Labour though ? It obviously has nothing to do with the actual policies put forward by each party and how they affect Wales. Labour can just carry on trashing the Welsh NHS, Welsh Business, Welsh Schools and transport. Hang on - those are the exact things that Labour supporters accuse the Tories of doing, which is why they wont vote for them - you couldn't make it ip could you.
    It’s an excellent reason to vote Labour. As for the WG’s record, most observers will realise that the WG is in a UK wide financial straight jacket imposed by Westminster. Whilst WG tries to offer the services you speak of being ‘trashed’, it is not deliberate wrecking as is the Tories’ strategy from London. Your problem, as a Tory, is that people have long woken up to this and can’t be gaslighted by the likes of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It’s an excellent reason to vote Labour. As for the WG’s record, most observers will realise that the WG is in a UK wide financial straight jacket imposed by Westminster. Whilst WG tries to offer the services you speak of being ‘trashed’, it is not deliberate wrecking as is the Tories’ strategy from London. Your problem, as a Tory, is that people have long woken up to this and can’t be gaslighted by the likes of you.
    I take it you didn’t read the article then ?

The WaG, a token gesture by Westminster to keep the natives happy - a political outpost which drains the electorate of taxes.

Welsh Govt press office working on a sunday? That's commendable at least!

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I take it you didn’t read the article then ?

The WaG, a token gesture by Westminster to keep the natives happy - a political outpost which drains the electorate of taxes.
    Read the article? I’m not taking lectures from a DM journalist 😂

Read the article? I’m not taking lectures from a DM journalist 😂
    Does raise some decent points mind. I mean, is there anything particular that we are doing well at here compared to other UK countries or comparable English regions?

I do like the free prescriptions. I do think our education system may be more holistic and child friendly too, esp at primary school (which is all I have any first hand experience of as a parent). I'm not sure what else we are excelling at? I'm genuinely all ears on that.

I've just tried to find out how many road journeys are made in Wales. Data doesn't seem to exist for this, but I've found that, in 2022, the total volume of traffic on Welsh roads was 29.2 billion kms, or 18.3 billion miles.

There were 3,312 road accidents in Wales in 2022 where there were casualties. That's one accident per 5.5 million miles of driving. There were 879 accidents where there were serious casulties or fatalities, or one for every 20.8 million miles of driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've just tried to find out how many road journeys are made in Wales. Data doesn't seem to exist for this, but I've found that, in 2022, the total volume of traffic on Welsh roads was 29.2 billion kms, or 18.3 billion miles.

There were 3,312 road accidents in Wales in 2022 where there were casualties. That's one accident per 5.5 million miles of driving. There were 879 accidents where there were serious casulties or fatalities, or one for every 20.8 million miles of driving.
    or to put it another way, there are almost 10 road accidents with casualties a day, and more than 2 serious injuries or fatalities every day

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    or to put it another way, there are almost 10 road accidents with casualties a day, and more than 2 serious injuries or fatalities every day
    Tragic events, however, the implementation of the. 20mph speed limit will have almost no consequences on the safety data.

But not all of those are on 30mph roads.

There were 1883 accidents, where there were casualties, on 20/30mph roads in 2022, with 420 of them resulting in serious casualties or fatalities. 22% of road accidents on roads that were 20/30mph in 2022 resulted in seriouss casualties or fatalities, compared with 32% on faster roads.

By way of comparing 20 and 30mph speed limit areas, 21% of accidents, where there were casualties, on 20mph roads resulted in serious casualties or fatalities, while 22% of accidents on 30mph roads resulted in serious casualties or fatalities. 20mph roads had a 1% reduction in serious casualties or fatalities, where there were casualties.

Let's guess that 1.5m motorists in Wales make 4 car journeys a day. Virtually all will be driven on 20/30mph roads at some point, so let's round that to 6m car journeys a day. That means 5,999,995 car journeys a day in 20/30 mph areas with no casualties, with 5 being unfortunate to have a car accident that involves a casualty, or 5,999,999 car journeys a day in 20/30mph areas without a serious casualty or fatality.

Tragic events, however, the implementation of the. 20mph speed limit will have almost no consequences on the safety data.
    care to show your workings?

elsewhere it has been said they expect around 10 fewer deaths on the roads due to this reduction in speed.

if that's correct then an additional 45 seconds on the average journey is a miniscule price to pay isn't it?

care to show your workings?

elsewhere it has been said they expect around 10 fewer deaths on the roads due to this reduction in speed.

if that's correct then an additional 45 seconds on the average journey is a miniscule price to pay isn't it?
    The data is freely accessible and I think a poster on here gave a great analysis as well. When you consider population growth and car usage it’s negligible.

How many of those deaths are from electric vehicles whereby pedestrians and other road users failed to hear the approaching car?

You’re in a minority on this one.

The data is freely accessible and I think a poster on here gave a great analysis as well. When you consider population growth and car usage it’s negligible.

How many of those deaths are from electric vehicles whereby pedestrians and other road users failed to hear the approaching car?

You’re in a minority on this one.
    if you have convincing data I'd love to read it.

in every other place in the world a reduction in speed results in a reduction in deaths so why would Wales be any different?

if you have convincing data I'd love to read it.

in every other place in the world a reduction in speed results in a reduction in deaths so why would Wales be any different?
    Back to the accident data spreadsheet from 2022.

Number of accidents with casualties:

20mph speed limit area - 192
    30mph speed limit area - 1691

Stands to reason - 37.4% of roads in 2021 had 30mph speed limits, 2.5% had 20mph speed limits. There were 870km of 20mph road across Wales and 13,085km of 30mph road.

Kilometers per accidents with casualties:

20mph speed limit area - 870/192 - per 4.53km
    30mph speed limit area - 13085/1691 - per 7.74km

Number of accidents with casualties where those casualties were serious or fatal:

20mph speed limit area - 40 - 40/192 = 20.8%
    30mph speed limit area - 380 - 380/1691 = 22.5%

Number of accidents with casualties where there were fatalities

20mph speed limit area - 40 - 2/192 = 1.0%
    30mph speed limit area - 380 - 27/1691 = 1.6%

It's interesting that there was a higher proportion of accidents on 20mph roads where there were casualties, than on 30mph roads. The reduction of serious casualties and fatalities dropping from 30 to 20mph is nowhere near the levels being exaggerated.

Back to the accident data spreadsheet from 2022.

Number of accidents with casualties:

20mph speed limit area - 192
    30mph speed limit area - 1691

Stands to reason - 37.4% of roads in 2021 had 30mph speed limits, 2.5% had 20mph speed limits. There were 870km of 20mph road across Wales and 13,085km of 30mph road.

Kilometers per accidents with casualties:

20mph speed limit area - 870/192 - per 4.53km
    30mph speed limit area - 13085/1691 - per 7.74km

Number of accidents with casualties where those casualties were serious or fatal:

20mph speed limit area - 40 - 40/192 = 20.8%
    30mph speed limit area - 380 - 380/1691 = 22.5%

Number of accidents with casualties where there were fatalities

20mph speed limit area - 40 - 2/192 = 1.0%
    30mph speed limit area - 380 - 27/1691 = 1.6%

It's interesting that there was a higher proportion of accidents on 20mph roads where there were casualties, than on 30mph roads. The reduction of serious casualties and fatalities dropping from 30 to 20mph is nowhere near the levels being exaggerated.
    that's all pretty irrelevant, the 20mph roads prior to this year might have been in areas where accidents have a higher chance of being dangerous i.e. near schools, areas with many pedestrians etc.

if you look at other countries that have adopted a similar reduction in speed there is a resulting reduction in lives lost.

if after a year it appears that something like 10 fewer lives have been lost after the introduction would people agree that it was been worth it?

that's all pretty irrelevant, the 20mph roads prior to this year might have been in areas where accidents have a higher chance of being dangerous i.e. near schools, areas with many pedestrians etc.

if you look at other countries that have adopted a similar reduction in speed there is a resulting reduction in lives lost.

if after a year it appears that something like 10 fewer lives have been lost after the introduction would people agree that it was been worth it?
    Of course 20mph roads have been implemented in areas where roads are potentially more dangerous. That's the whole point of them.

I'll counter your argument of whether inconveniencing a billion journeys a year is worth 10 lives by asking why nothing is being done on faster roads to save lives and casualties, where there, I can presume having traffic moving so people can get about is more of a priority.

Of course 20mph roads have been implemented in areas where roads are potentially more dangerous. That's the whole point of them.

I'll counter your argument of whether inconveniencing a billion journeys a year is worth 10 lives by asking why nothing is being done on faster roads to save lives and casualties, where there, I can presume having traffic moving so people can get about is more of a priority.
    changing the faster roads will have a much bigger impact on travel times presumably. this change is pretty negligible and could save lives every year.

surely the minor inconvenience is worth it if it ultimately works

changing the faster roads will have a much bigger impact on travel times presumably. this change is pretty negligible and could save lives every year.

But for many, these changes aren't negligible. Arriva buses in North Wales are warning that routes and frequencies will be cut. I understand Adventure Travel are monitoring things in the same way. My local Hermes driver is taking an hour more per day to do his round.

Drop from 70 to 60mph adds 8.5 seconds a mile.
    60 to 50 adds 12 seconds per mile.
    50 to 40 - 18.
    40 to 30 - 30.
    30 to 20 - 1 minute.

5 miles at 20 mph instead of 30 is the same as just over 14.5 miles of 50mph instead of 70.

I take it you feel just as passionate about the current situation regarding excess deaths within the UK ?

Have you looked at the data ?

We’re you not an advocate of longer lockdowns regardless of the impact on NHS waiting times etc ?

I take it you feel just as passionate about the current situation regarding excess deaths within the UK ?

Have you looked at the data ?

We’re you not an advocate of longer lockdowns regardless of the impact on NHS waiting times etc ?
    1) the last lockdown in the UK was 3 years ago! NHS waiting times have increased long after that period due to chronic underfunding.

2) I wasn't advocating longer lockdowns at any expense, where have you plucked that from?

1) the last lockdown in the UK was 3 years ago! NHS waiting times have increased long after that period due to chronic underfunding.

2) I wasn't advocating longer lockdowns at any expense, where have you plucked that from?
    They NHS was cancelling operations left right and centre during lockdown, and for the umpteenth time the NHS is not underfunded. The NHS spends £5,388 once every 0.97 seconds

I’m sure you were fully behind most Dripfrauds policies during Covid , which are now coming home to roost.

They NHS was cancelling operations left right and centre during lockdown, and for the umpteenth time the NHS is not underfunded. The NHS spends £5,388 once every 0.97 seconds

I’m sure you were fully behind most Dripfrauds policies during Covid , which are now coming home to roost.
    Which policies are coming home to roost?

Also, please provide a better financial statement of NHS spending and income with an explanation of why £5,388 every second is adequate funding.

Which policies are coming home to roost?

Also, please provide a better financial statement of NHS spending and income with an explanation of why £5,388 every second is adequate funding.
    Why do you need a better understanding of how much the NHS spends , look it up for yourself, better still if I’m wrong present the evidence , as I can assure you it’s there or there abouts

Why do you need a better understanding of how much the NHS spends , look it up for yourself, better still if I’m wrong present the evidence , as I can assure you it’s there or there abouts
    NHS spending has stagnated ever since the Tories have come to power when adjusted for inflation and demographics.

Screenshot_2023-10-23-16-43-23-395_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-23-16-43-23-395_com.android.chrome-edit.jpgother European countries we were spending comparable amounts to by the end of the last labour government are now significantly clear of us.

Unless it’s their own family member it appears not.