+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    NHS spending has stagnated ever since the Tories have come to power when adjusted for inflation and demographics.

Attachment 5865

Attachment 5865other European countries we were spending comparable amounts to by the end of the last labour government are now significantly clear of us.
    That’s because a huge amount of NHS services are outsourced ( lots of health and social care providers are privately owned) and before you make assumptions much of this was started under Gordon Brown and Blair.

Ultimately the NHS is the third biggest employer in the world and the spending doesn’t always include salaries. It’s not underfunded.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

Ultimately the NHS is the third biggest employer in the world and the spending doesn’t always include salaries. It’s not underfunded.
    It is underfunded - even if you, the Spectator and the Conservative Government insist it isn't. Mind you the last two still claim £350m p.w. was freed up after leaving the EU to fund the NHS, and that Boris Johnson wasn't lying when he claimed there were 40 new hospitals in the pipeline!

Funding hasn't kept pace with demand since the Austerity Cult took power in 2010. There is an ageing population putting greater pressure on the NHS, growing waiting lists, a massive recruitment and retention crisis (made worse by Brexit) and degrading hospital infrastructure. Added to that social care is in the biggest crisis ever (ignored by the Tories and now also by Labour after Starmer's latest U turn) and ading to the NHS's problems.

https://nhsfunding.info/nhs-crisis-making/

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-su...-data-analysis

I think the problem with a discussion solely about funding (which as we see above is always a proxy for party political debate) is that it ignores other factors.

An ex of mine and a few friends work in the NHS. Whilst they will always say money is a factor (when isn't it, in any sector? The US military will say they are underfunded too) The issue that always seems to be raised most is very poor management.

Can't ignore strikes in the last year either. Which is of course linked to funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Unless it’s their own family member it appears not.
    Such a crass comment deserves a reply, so here goes.

I acknowledge that roads are dangerous places. Even at 20mph. Accidents and casualties occur in car parks. Making roads safe havens for everyone is a zenith that will never be reached while motor vehicles exist. My first driving instructor told me on my first lesson that I was going to be using a machine that is one of the most dangerous ever invented.

I'm lucky that I've never been involved in an accident. I reckon even those who consider themselves the safest of drivers have had a few big scares. I had one a few years ago in Tonypandy, where some cockwomble walked out into the road without looking where he was going, headphones on, and an emergency stop when I was doing around 25mph meant I just avoided him. If I'd been doing 30 he'd have been knocked over. Yes, that would have had an effect on me, but it would have been his fault.

I've recently thought about what would happen if my 10 year old son had been run over; if he'd been seriously injured for life or killed. If it had been a case of him not being careful then these things, however tragic, happen. People make decisions that prove to be fatal in so many walks of life. If it had been a case that someone had been driving dangerously then that's a totally different matter.

One common theme I saw when looking up some of the accidents where there were fatalities or serious casualties, was that dangerous driving was often a factor. This evening, I approached a junction, wanting to turn left, while someone coming from my left, turning right into the road I was in, cut the corner and nearly hit me. Not my fault at all.

Changing from 30mph to 20mph isn't going to stop dickheads who drive dangerously. If anything, it's making some drive and demonstrate more dangerous manouevers instead of being stuck behind someone driving slowly. I've seen drivers hurrying to overtake someone doing 50mph on a 60mph road. A change of speed limit isn't going to force a rethink.

There's been talk of deaths and thousands of casualties being prevented. I wonder how many accidents where there are casualties are genuine accidents, or whether most of them are due to one driver being a bit of an arsehole? I notice that quite a lot of accidents where there are casualties happen at night, or early morning, when it is dark.

I posted some stats about casualties in 20mph zones and 30mph zones. The figures were almost negligible.

I fully endorse 20mph speed limits in built up areas, around schools, play areas etc. What I don't support is 20mph zones on roads where there is absolutely no rhyme nor reason for it. Apparently the main road through Radyr is seen by locals as more dangerous since the speed limit was reduced.

The same people who froth at the mouth at climate protestors who block the road for trying to save the planet are now blocking the road because of the 20mph limit.

In the North Wales protest I've just read that apparently there's only 3 cars! Looking at photos of the protests down south today it looks like it's only people aged 55 or above, weird that.

Will be interesting to see what happens once they start fining people..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Which policies are coming home to roost?

Also, please provide a better financial statement of NHS spending and income with an explanation of why £5,388 every second is adequate funding.
    Policies coming home to roost you say ?

40,000 health care workers lost their jobs because they didn’t want to get vaccinated. A product that didn’t prevent transmission and efficacy was unknown.

International

When are they moving back to 30mph in NC, that drippy junior better get his skates on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    When are they moving back to 30mph in NC, that drippy junior better get his skates on!!!
    I would change all to 30mph except for your neck of the woods.

I would change all to 30mph except for your neck of the woods.

Start the ball rolling and write to your councillors telling which roads you want changing and why. That process exists anyway. The more of you northerners that do, the stronger your case.

Noticed this week a whole lot of new 20 mph speed signs going up on residential roads in Sheffield.

Has Gething been selling them off cheap to speedier parts of the UK?