+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Daniel Khalife pleads not guilty to escaping Wandsworth prison

Daniel Khalife pleads not guilty to escaping Wandsworth prison

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2415764.html

Former soldier Daniel Khalife has pleaded not guilty at the Old Bailey to escaping custody at HMP Wandsworth where he was on remand after being charged with terror offences earlier this year.

He is accused of escaping the Category B prison on September 6 before being arrested four days later in Chiswick.

Appearing at the Old Bailey via video-link, he only spoke to confirm his details and to enter his not guilty plea.

Re: Daniel Khalife pleads not guilty to escaping Wandsworth prison

Perhaps he just asked the driver for a lift and didn't realise where he was going!

He was going to take his sheets to be laundered, saw a van on the way there and wanted to investigate to make sure it wasn't up to no good. Tripped, and his sheets got attached to the underside of the van which dragged him out. Since eventually getting free he had been trying to save enough change to get a bus back to the prison

Next we will have Jimmy Saville pleading innocence from his grave ..

The man is obviously not of the right mind ,needs to be in Broadmoor .

Is it time for another U turn and bring back Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT ) , surprising what a good wack of electric current through your brain can do it can relieve severe symptoms of some mental health problems ,if done properly , happy to step up and administer , not sure how that would effect the energy market though ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Is it time for another U turn and bring back Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT ) , surprising what a good wack of electric current through your brain can do it can relieve severe symptoms of some mental health problems ,if done properly , happy to step up and administer , not sure how that would effect the energy market though ??
    My god...

I know someone who went through ECT therapy, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, they were obviously still quite traumatized about it many years later.
    I imagine that being the person to administer it would be pretty horrible as well.

Lawyers win again by agreeing to defend an obvious escapee pleading not guilty to a charge of escaping from prison. This plea just shows how ridiculous our legal system is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Lawyers win again by agreeing to defend an obvious escapee pleading not guilty to a charge of escaping from prison. This plea just shows how ridiculous our legal system is.
    I'd imagine the lawyers strongly advised him not to plead that.

But do you think a better legal system would be for some people not to have access to lawyers?

ironic much

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

But do you think a better legal system would be for some people not to have access to lawyers?
    In a way yes. I believe a case when a man pleads not guilty to a charge of escaping from prison when he clearly has should not qualify for any kind of legal assistance as that just is a waste of judicial time and potentially a waste of taxpayer funds.

In a way yes. I believe a case when a man pleads not guilty to a charge of escaping from prison when he clearly has should not qualify for any kind of legal assistance as that just is a waste of judicial time and potentially a waste of taxpayer funds.
    dangerous road that, where do you draw the line
    everyone has a right to a defence. And yes clearly a lawyer should provide one

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I know someone who went through ECT therapy, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, they were obviously still quite traumatized about it many years later.
    I imagine that being the person to administer it would be pretty horrible as well.
    Not quite. Still used extensively.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), the oldest somatic therapy still in use in psychiatry today, remains one of the most effective therapeutic interventions for a wide variety of psychiatric disorders.

But who would decide that? It would just be a different type of process to get there. You still need an impartial source to adjudicate, and setting that up would just be spending time and money in a different way.

Any trial he has after pleading not guilty is gonna be super quick anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    But who would decide that? It would just be a different type of process to get there. You still need an impartial source to adjudicate, and setting that up would just be spending time and money in a different way.

Any trial he has after pleading not guilty is gonna be super quick anyway.
    A judge surely acting in the capacity of whether or not to accept a plea. It would only be applicable in cases where a plea is an obvious nonsense.

A judge surely acting in the capacity of whether or not to accept a plea. It would only be applicable in cases where a plea is an obvious nonsense.
    Yeah but who decides when it's at that stage? You need to have a very clear procedure or someone whose plea is nonsense to the like of us suddenly has grounds that he's been treated unfairly.

You'd be ripping up a really important tenet of a fair country, that everyone deserves a fair trial, for a tiny number of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Not quite. Still used extensively.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), the oldest somatic therapy still in use in psychiatry today, remains one of the most effective therapeutic interventions for a wide variety of psychiatric disorders.
    I had it 20 years ago

Very effective

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's OK

You are out for the count when the procedure is carried out

Bit of a headache after

Cup of tea

Taxi home

ECT is still used

And you definitely need it