+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ivor Davies...

Re: The Ivor Davies...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Appreciate no one has said it here, but that example of Tim Martin 'sacking staff during Covid' is one of the finest examples of online misinformation there is. It spreads around online forums and echo chambers and is often cited by people (usually in s proxy Brexit debate) but it is absolutely completely false.

He did the right thing. - said that if anyone wanted to get more secure work elsewhere during Covid' then they would prioritise taking them back later.

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampp...navirus-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Weatherspoons pay the same rate as other pubs etc. As for employing the 'very minimum' of staff, I suspect you've never visited Weatherspoons. One of the plus points, apart from good value beer and food, is just how many staff are there.

You're talking complete boll*cks.
    I've been to various Witherspoons plenty of times and waited ages to be served because there aren't enough staff. I've eaten their crap food quite a few times as well.
    It's not me that is talking bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I've been to various Witherspoons plenty of times and waited ages to be served because there aren't enough staff. I've eaten their crap food quite a few times as well.
    It's not me that is talking bollocks
    Why did you eat it “quite a few times”, once should have been enough

Always seemed to me like the great Western was run on too few staff for years. Wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason it's a lot quieter now than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    The economy is screwed in Wales anyway more empty shops than anywhere, but hey we locked down longer and drive slower
    I live in Cheltenham, which is considered a fairly affluent English town overall. There are loads of empty shops around the High Street area now. Perhaps a sign of changing consumer habits, accelerated by the lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why did you eat it “quite a few times”, once should have been enough
    Sometimes there isn't much choice and I know what to expect.

I do understand why spoons isn't everyone's cup of tea - the world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same bars and restaurants.

But even if you don't like it, and you are lucky enough that price isn't an issue for you, I think everyone needs to recognise the importance of businesses that cater for all price points.

Personally I think Wetherspoons is pretty good on staff numbers tbh. There are much worse places. I also think the food is fine. Fish and chips is actually very good, as is the breakfast. The rest is cheap but cheerful enough.

I'm sure some of the people with a downer on Tim Martin for his views drink beer made by companies who make him look like Mother Theresa.

I do understand why spoons isn't everyone's cup of tea - the world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same bars and restaurants.

But even if you don't like it, and you are lucky enough that price isn't an issue for you, I think everyone needs to recognise the importance of businesses that cater for all price points.

Personally I think Wetherspoons is pretty good on staff numbers tbh. There are much worse places. I also think the food is fine. Fish and chips is actually very good, as is the breakfast. The rest is cheap but cheerful enough.
    In cities like Cardiff Wetherspoons aren't essential. In many towns they are your only chance of drinking decent beer. And it is decent beer even if the food is pretty poor.

People in pubs at 4 pm unless it's city fans on an away trip somewhere are playgrounds of the brain dead

A lot of these people wet themselves

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People in pubs at 4 pm unless it's city fans on an away trip somewhere are playgrounds of the brain dead

A lot of these people wet themselves
    A lot of these people are lonely

I drank in the Ivor regularly from its opening. The run up to the 2019 election which became the brexit election, that Tim pink headed Gammon man backed Brexit in the press and in his own pub publication.
    When he got what he wanted I just thought feck him he can do without my custom as well.
    This was then compounded by his comments to staff during Covid.
    Coupled with the triumphant Brexiteers that seemed to frequent the place I'm glad it's closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    In cities like Cardiff Wetherspoons aren't essential. In many towns they are your only chance of drinking decent beer. And it is decent beer even if the food is pretty poor.
    I don't think the word essential could apply to any pub, although they are very important social spaces and very important to community wellbeing.

However, pubs aren't all about drinking 'decent beer', which everyone will define in their own way. They are about meeting friends, having a few drinks, some food, some company, even some warmth in some cases.

In that sense Wetherspoons are particularly important as they are nearly always the cheapest pub around, esp in some of the cities I mentioned earlier.

Sludge is lonely, wets himself but doesn't drink, where we going with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Sludge is lonely, wets himself but doesn't drink, where we going with this?
    Absolutely nowhere clearly

That's because they smell of piss

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I drank in the Ivor regularly from its opening. The run up to the 2019 election which became the brexit election, that Tim pink headed Gammon man backed Brexit in the press and in his own pub publication.
    When he got what he wanted I just thought feck him he can do without my custom as well.
    Coupled with the triumphant Brexiteers that seemed to frequent the place I'm glad it's closing.
    Other pubs are available - and lots of them in Canton. The Wife Beater Arms wont be a loss other than to the 9am drinkers who like a Stella and a fag for breakfast.

Not a good pub.

Bring the Foresters.

How long will the King's last ?

That's because they smell of piss
    Love these caring Socalists

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Love these caring Socalists
    Do you piss your pants after 6 pints ?

Get in line

Loads of Brexiteers up in Abertillery.He's closing that one as well.

International

Do you piss your pants after 6 pints ?

Get in line
    My age it doesn't take 6

Cheap and cheerful, and cooked on the premises. I had the cooked breakfast for under a Fiver, and it was surprisingly good quality produce. I'll spend £120 on a nice meal and wine with the wife, but I'd happily go back there ..

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Where's a good left-leaning, intolerant, judgmental , insular pub you could go to ? Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Where's a good left-leaning, intolerant, judgmental , insular pub you could go to ? Hmmmmm.
    Quite so. However, there are lots of right-leaning, intolerant, judgemental etc.....