+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greater Manchester Renationalises The Bus Services

Re: Greater Manchester Renationalises The Bus Services

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It's hardly an odd comment; many people have shares in private companies, that's how the system works. It's highly likely these same people will baulk at renationalisation as it would be detrimental to their interests.

You obviously have a different memory of the nationalised industries to me. It would be great to get our former assets back in the hands of the people rather than greedy hedge fund managers
    It's odd to assume that the only reason someone might find your description of Britain's nationalised industries as fabulous is because they hold shares in the privatised versions. And yes, I do have a different memory of them. And yes it would be good to have them serving us rather than shareholders. But examples like British Steel and the NCB aren't the way to go. I'm amazed anyone thinks they are.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    People investing in nationalised industries - like UK pension company's ? - good luck with that vote winner

Personally I like the Welsh Water modus operandi - not for profit as the core business then they contract out other services to other companies.
    Welsh rivers and seas are among the most polluted in the UK. That's not all down to WW but a lot of it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    The Carl Sergeant incident was the end of Jones's reputation.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...inst-him-wales

Jones couldnt even debate Farrage to a winning
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...ights-10718381
    That's irrelevant

We have had 3 leaders since devolved government

He's been the best

The people have decided the tory boys havnt had a nose

And that's bloody great

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    It's odd to assume that the only reason someone might find your description of Britain's nationalised industries as fabulous is because they hold shares in the privatised versions. And yes, I do have a different memory of them. And yes it would be good to have them serving us rather than shareholders. But examples like British Steel and the NCB aren't the way to go. I'm amazed anyone thinks they are.
    Like I said it's hardly odd. I think it's odd someone thinks otherwise.

Good on Greater Manchester. If they can afford it, it's a good thing to do. Public transport is one of the central pillars of society that probably should be under public control (like schools, police, armed forces etc). That said, I care less as long as they are good at the job.

It is however worth remembering that Cardiff Bus is publicly owned and run and is cutting services left right and centre.

Transport for Wales is also owned publicly and is the worst ranked by passengers, although I think a large part of that can be put down to the ongoing Metro works.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ction-27737650

The biggest issue is passenger numbers. WFH is damaging in so many ways but it's decimated transport income and making it less and less viable, which of course hits those who rely on it most.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Good on Greater Manchester. If they can afford it, it's a good thing to do. Public transport is one of the central pillars of society that probably should be under public control (like schools, police, armed forces etc). That said, I care less as long as they are good at the job.

It is however worth remembering that Cardiff Bus is publicly owned and run and is cutting services left right and centre.

Transport for Wales is also owned publicly and is the worst ranked by passengers, although I think a large part of that can be put down to the ongoing Metro works.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ction-27737650

The biggest issue is passenger numbers. WFH is damaging in so many ways but it's decimated transport income and making it less and less viable, which of course hits those who rely on it most.
    Transport organisations cannot rely upon people who choose to WFH to fund their operations; it's a free society after all (just).

This would now be an opportunity for Marketing departments to use some initiative and seduce a different cohort of travellers back with tempting offers, maybe more leisure oriented.