+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Now Airdrie doing the Total Football thing

Now Airdrie doing the Total Football thing

following my post last week regarding Gateshead in the national league

Lovely to see in the British game

Re: Now Airdrie doing the Total Football thing

Shows how overhyped the football at the start of last season was. It genuinely isn’t that hard to move the ball in your half, it is what you do with it after.

Airdrie have a hell of a lot more movement off the ball than we did!

Amazing what you can do in walking football.

Keeping the ball for ages in your own half doesn't do anything for me

International

Playing against a team of scarecrows helps, they let them do whatever they wanted didn't press, and didn't mark any players.

International

They are sixth, I would imagine that goal was against one of the two pub teams at the bottom of the league of ten, Inverness with one point or Grenock.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...ieonians/table

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Amazing what you can do in walking football.
    Not just me that thought that then!

So many unnecessary back-passes and players not taking any responsibility with the ball. Not for me.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    So many unnecessary back-passes and players not taking any responsibility with the ball. Not for me.
    That was the Swansea way but without any forward passes or goals, just pass it around the back four and keeper for as long as they could it was terrible to watch, and bore the opposing teams to sleep.

It's like watching basketball only kicking rather than throwing.

The football in the opposition's half was fantastic. It was partly aided by some of the passing inside their own half, dragging a few opposition players out of position.

Much nicer on the eye than goalkeeper whacking it upfield as far as he can in the hope of getting a flick on.

Not what I'd call total football. But a patient build-up. I have no problem with passing the ball around, dragging opposing players out of position, and waiting for opportunities. It didn't sound like their fans were too happy with it until the ball hit the net though.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    It's like watching basketball only kicking rather than throwing.
    I don't like basketball. But the average points total in an NBA game is over 200. And there's a shot clock set to 24 seconds per possession. So with respect, I beg to differ.

I'd much rather see defenders defend and attackers entertain.

The skillful players barely get a touch in the modern game and it's less entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    I'd much rather see defenders defend and attackers entertain.

The skillful players barely get a touch in the modern game and it's less entertaining.
    But in the modern game it's about movement creating space for those skillful players. Defending has improved beyond measure since the 70s. I think we have more skillful players in the top division than we have ever had.

They could have scored that goal 30
    seconds earlier without the need for the 20/30 vanity passes in their own half.

The opposition defence was playing musical statues with the music on permanent stop by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    They could have scored that goal 30
    seconds earlier without the need for the 20/30 vanity passes in their own half.

The opposition defence was playing musical statues with the music on permanent stop by the looks of it.
    The key move was to get their right back further forward. Once that had happened they picked the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The key move was to get their right back further forward. Once that had happened they picked the lock.
    LOL come on they didn’t need to unlock anything it was one of laziest “presses” I’ve ever seen and kept going back to the same place under no real pressure. The right sided winger / midfielder was a lazy bastard and couldn’t be arsed even pressing, marking or chasing back. They could have just passed it past that lamppost to open it all up at the very start.

It was the worst press I’ve seen since Steve Morisons 3 man press against a very competent in possession Swansea side whilst the rest of the side sat in a low block. Thus resulting in a 4-0 defeat.