+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lockdown - harmful to children

Re: Lockdown - harmful to children

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    You’re spouting government propaganda there looks like the sage think tank did its job on you.
    I think you need to look at the data which shows that statistically that propaganda slogan you’re talking about was actually false.
    Got to admit I preferred the SAGE ‘propaganda’ to your propaganda. I sometimes agree with parts of your posts, but not when you rubbish the 2020 attempt to protect the elderly, the sick and vulnerable, front line workers who were disproportionately victims in the first year (especially if they were black) and to save the NHS from going under.

There is a debate to be had on the margins, on the scale and length of subsequent lockdowns, on government incompetence, hypocrisy and dishonesty (massive contacts for mates), but not on the initial (late and timid) response.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Check out the masks
    Who really cares if adults you don't know want to wear a mask? Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Got to admit I preferred the SAGE ‘propaganda’ to your propaganda. I sometimes agree with parts of your posts, but not when you rubbish the 2020 attempt to protect the elderly, the sick and vulnerable, front line workers who were disproportionately victims in the first year (especially if they were black) and to save the NHS from going under.

There is a debate to be had on the margins, on the scale and length of subsequent lockdowns, on government incompetence, hypocrisy and dishonesty (massive contacts for mates), but not on the initial (late and timid) response.
    Ultimately the average age of the people who passed away (sadly) with the virus was around 8 months below the average death rate, and that was within 28 days of a positive test of people who already had pre existing conditions. I’d argue if they did the same testing for flu ( within 28 days with pre existing conditions) the numbers would be comparable.

I’ll reiterate, no wonder many of the population were sceptical if the people in charge broke the rules within the first week.

In war conditions the same people would be tucked away in nuclear bunkers not out partying.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Conversations like this one were inevitable because nobody had a proven template for dealing with a deadly pandemic that would hit the whole world from the fairly recent past three and a half years ago, so it was a case of making it up as they went along and there were always going to be mistakes or errors of judgement.

Therefore I find it hard to be critical of the notion of going into lockdowns, more that it took so long to go into the first one. By contrast, I never agreed with the WAG’s decision to close things down ago over the winter of 20/21 at a time when the most vulnerable had been given a vaccine.

I do blame the UK Government for ignoring the results of the Cygnus project that tested responses to a pandemic held a few years before the advent of Covid and I think the Public Enquiry currently taking place will be pretty damning about many aspects of the response to the crisis. I may be wrong, but I doubt if there will be a huge amount of criticism regarding the concept of lockdowns, more about how policy evolved as methods of combatting the virus were found.
    I was as paranoid as anyone when this started, and as it was starting we had to attend a funeral in Leicestershire, travel wasn't curtailed and we booked a night in a hotel as to not have to go up and down in the day, having worked in filtration a few years earlier reached out to former colleagues to obtain the filter media used in N95 masks which we manufactured, bought 2 boxes of latex gloves and travelled up to Leicestershire masked up and with Latex gloves driving my own car!!! just arriving at the hotel was almost being in a hospital, at the funeral there were a couple in attendance who had recently been to I think the Ascot festival, we carried on with this BS (not known at the time) for sometime, as it went on it was IMO, becoming obvious that all was not as was being peddled out, just going to Lidl on Saturday mornings and being treated like lepers to get food all whilst walking past the middle aisle along with the clothes being plastic sheeted off was a bit comical, I never initially thought of anything other than what i was hearing from Johnson and his lieutenants on the box each evening, blaming government's wasn't a thing for me regarding Convid for a long time, but now having had a long time to reflect, I'd love to live long enough to see some of these bastards hang (if it has been indeed a nefarious act), but I'll die well before an agreed and accepted origin of Convid is accepted by a majority. if you think Kennedy was assassinated in 1965 and any facts around this are only just being dripped out, the phrase conspiracy theory was introduced to the masses for this event, the wheels of justice can take a long time Dookie, and the rest of the youngsters on here will find this out as they get older, the Q saying is, "Future Proves Past" Yes it was a pysop and just another division tactic, anyway i note last night that RFK junior intends to run as an independent, not sure who will benefit most from this but at least we'll get a further distraction for next years election and something else to fall out over, initially, and if its Biden, Trump and RFK, he'd be my guy if i was an American but he is a climate fanatic I think, so it would be a holding the nose vote to remove the other 2.

I was as paranoid as anyone when this started, and as it was starting we had to attend a funeral in Leicestershire, travel wasn't curtailed and we booked a night in a hotel as to not have to go up and down in the day, having worked in filtration a few years earlier reached out to former colleagues to obtain the filter media used in N95 masks which we manufactured, bought 2 boxes of latex gloves and travelled up to Leicestershire masked up and with Latex gloves driving my own car!!! just arriving at the hotel was almost being in a hospital, at the funeral there were a couple in attendance who had recently been to I think the Ascot festival, we carried on with this BS (not known at the time) for sometime, as it went on it was IMO, becoming obvious that all was not as was being peddled out, just going to Lidl on Saturday mornings and being treated like lepers to get food all whilst walking past the middle aisle along with the clothes being plastic sheeted off was a bit comical, I never initially thought of anything other than what i was hearing from Johnson and his lieutenants on the box each evening, blaming government's wasn't a thing for me regarding Convid for a long time, but now having had a long time to reflect, I'd love to live long enough to see some of these bastards hang (if it has been indeed a nefarious act), but I'll die well before an agreed and accepted origin of Convid is accepted by a majority. if you think Kennedy was assassinated in 1965 and any facts around this are only just being dripped out, the phrase conspiracy theory was introduced to the masses for this event, the wheels of justice can take a long time Dookie, and the rest of the youngsters on here will find this out as they get older, the Q saying is, "Future Proves Past" Yes it was a pysop and just another division tactic, anyway i note last night that RFK junior intends to run as an independent, not sure who will benefit most from this but at least we'll get a further distraction for next years election and something else to fall out over, initially, and if its Biden, Trump and RFK, he'd be my guy if i was an American but he is a climate fanatic I think, so it would be a holding the nose vote to remove the other 2.
    The thing that struck me most about this post when I first read it was that you mean the American election when you talk about the election next year. I prefer to think about elections in which I have a vote, so, barring a surprise decision by Sunak to go to the country in the next three months, “the election next year” for me is the UK one.

That said, you have to be interested in what happens in America and a similarity between the the UK and that country for me is that if I had a vote in both, my overriding motive would be to try to keep an individual and/or party out because no individual or party inspires me enough to vote for positive reasons. It’d be a choice between abstaining and voting Democrat to keep Trump and the Republicans out if I were American - I would be very, very reluctant to vote Biden though as I think the notion of someone running for the highest office in their eighties is asking for trouble (there have been enough signs over the past three years that his age is a problem). I also don’t like the fact that his dog has bitten eleven White House employees at the last count!

As for Covid, the first thing to say is that anything that kills nearly seven million people worldwide is not a con

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-toll/

You’ll dispute those figures of course, but they’ll do for me.

My question is if it was all a con, what was gained from it? All of the restrictions imposed have been lifted (second thoughts, I daresay one or two may survive, but they’re not high profile enough for me to know about them) , so what was the point in “Convid”? Organ Morgan would have it that all of us who have had vaccines are going to die by 2026, but I’ll treat that with the seriousness it deserves.

As is always the case, it comes down to a decision whether you believe in cock up or conspiracy and, as is the case in the vast majotity of times I consider that question it’s the former that wins, although, when it comes to Covid, the fact that decisions were being made on the hoof with poor knowledge, at the time, of what was involved excuses some of the cock ups.

I’m in pretty much the same place, Paul.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...vernment-told/

Many parents were banging in about this from the beginning, but were pigeonholed as selfish, or a conspiracy theorist

Report by leading campaigners argues worst impacts could have been avoided if ministers had considered rights of the young

This person was reported and investigated when he dared mention that lockdowns would harm children. Everyone else in his profession (education) remained silent. We must empower more people to speak out

https://x.com/1mikefairclough/status...LhmySD2aRt-GNg
    Not sure if any of the heavyweights in this thread have children living at home, i still do even though at lockdown beginning my lad was 27, we did go and look at a property for him to buy yesterday so he is looking to move out ASAP, if a government tries to pull this stunt again anytime soon, i will ask him to move back home for the duration, what it might have done to some younger children i can only imagine. Reading through this thread I'd have a good wager that the majority never saw the effect of lockdown at close quarters.

Not sure if any of the heavyweights in this thread have children living at home, i still do even though at lockdown beginning my lad was 27, we did go and look at a property for him to buy yesterday so he is looking to move out ASAP, if a government tries to pull this stunt again anytime soon, i will ask him to move back home for the duration, what it might have done to some younger children i can only imagine. Reading through this thread I'd have a good wager that the majority never saw the effect of lockdown at close quarters.
    Wow, quite the high horse for someone whose 'child' is 30!

I'd wager that absolutely everyone in this thread saw the effect of lockdown at close quarters. Some of us, including at least me and JamesWales, don't need to 'imagine' the effect on young children, as we lived it ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

I'd wager that absolutely everyone in this thread saw the effect of lockdown at close quarters. Some of us, including at least me and JamesWales, don't need to 'imagine' the effect on young children, as we lived it ourselves.
    Expected.

Expected.
    And justified

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I’m in pretty much the same place, Paul.
    Another thing to consider with the propaganda you quoted is that a huge number caught Covid in hospital even with masks , reduced capacity,testing etc

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

The kids we work with only stay on the radar up to 25 so unfortunately I don't have any data for how 27 year old children were affected by the pandemic.

All jokes aside, I was 34/35 and living with my parents at the time, my concern was with their health entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    The kids we work with only stay on the radar up to 25 so unfortunately I don't have any data for how 27 year old children were affected by the pandemic.

All jokes aside, I was 34/35 and living with my parents at the time, my concern was with their health entirely.
    Just maybe, the little KUNT that Lardy has never received a phone call from a friend who's son of a similar age had committed suicide and walked into his bedroom to see him hanging, I hope this bastard never ever, ever engages me ever again on this MB. He's crossed the line for clicks. (if he has, then he's an even bigger KUNT). I understand he wouldn't have known this although some who do know me will know, I'll just leave it there.

I looked after my old dear in the final stages of dementia and heart failure during lockdown and she passed away as restrictions were eased

It was difficult for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The thing that struck me most about this post when I first read it was that you mean the American election when you talk about the election next year. I prefer to think about elections in which I have a vote, so, barring a surprise decision by Sunak to go to the country in the next three months, “the election next year” for me is the UK one.

That said, you have to be interested in what happens in America and a similarity between the the UK and that country for me is that if I had a vote in both, my overriding motive would be to try to keep an individual and/or party out because no individual or party inspires me enough to vote for positive reasons. It’d be a choice between abstaining and voting Democrat to keep Trump and the Republicans out if I were American - I would be very, very reluctant to vote Biden though as I think the notion of someone running for the highest office in their eighties is asking for trouble (there have been enough signs over the past three years that his age is a problem). I also don’t like the fact that his dog has bitten eleven White House employees at the last count!

As for Covid, the first thing to say is that anything that kills nearly seven million people worldwide is not a con

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-toll/

You’ll dispute those figures of course, but they’ll do for me.

My question is if it was all a con, what was gained from it? All of the restrictions imposed have been lifted (second thoughts, I daresay one or two may survive, but they’re not high profile enough for me to know about them) , so what was the point in “Convid”? Organ Morgan would have it that all of us who have had vaccines are going to die by 2026, but I’ll treat that with the seriousness it deserves.

As is always the case, it comes down to a decision whether you believe in cock up or conspiracy and, as is the case in the vast majotity of times I consider that question it’s the former that wins, although, when it comes to Covid, the fact that decisions were being made on the hoof with poor knowledge, at the time, of what was involved excuses some of the cock ups.
    Excellent but I think you are talking to the conspiracy sheep

The fallout to locking down children continues

Former children’s commissioner links knife crime surge to lockdowns
    Anne Longfield tells The Telegraph rise in violence is a ‘huge danger sign’ as she prepares to give evidence at Covid Inquiry

Longfield will urge the Government to invest £13.5bn in education recovery funding, saying that ministers had failed to deliver on promises to prioritise children during the pandemic, with other areas, including pubs and theme parks, “always deemed to be more of a priority”

Ex Children's Commissioner @annelongfield said the rise in pupil violence after lockdowns “should ring huge alarm bells for us all”, along with evidence of a rise in school exclusions, pupil absence & children who have not caught up with lost learning

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...x=1696188395-1

The fallout to locking down children continues

Former children’s commissioner links knife crime surge to lockdowns
    Anne Longfield tells The Telegraph rise in violence is a ‘huge danger sign’ as she prepares to give evidence at Covid Inquiry

Longfield will urge the Government to invest £13.5bn in education recovery funding, saying that ministers had failed to deliver on promises to prioritise children during the pandemic, with other areas, including pubs and theme parks, “always deemed to be more of a priority”

Ex Children's Commissioner @annelongfield said the rise in pupil violence after lockdowns “should ring huge alarm bells for us all”, along with evidence of a rise in school exclusions, pupil absence & children who have not caught up with lost learning

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...x=1696188395-1
    There's no doubt that lockdown affected kids but it affected everybody

Particularly the vulnerable like the elderly , disabled etc

I really dont see the point here

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There's no doubt that lockdown affected kids but it affected everybody

Particularly the vulnerable like the elderly , disabled etc

I really dont see the point here
    Making sure children don't get access to knives would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Making sure children don't get access to knives would be a good start.
    Very difficult to stop unfortunately

What always shocks me is something like 200,000 kids have gone “missing” since covid lockdowns and not returned to school, how is that possible? My two boys were 6 & 8 at the time, lucky they had each other to hang out with…..