+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown - harmful to children

Re: Lockdown - harmful to children

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm sorry we haven't addressed the thread in the manner and depth that you wished.
    Nothing wrong with threads going off topic, but this is one about the impact of lockdowns on kids. Still time for it to come back on topic..

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nothing wrong with threads going off topic, but this is one about the impact of lockdowns on kids. Still time for it to come back on topic..
    On the last page you were talking about the effects of having the lockdown in place earlier, and on this page you're telling everyone off for straying from the topic of kids. As if the discussion on this forum is going to help "deal" with their mental health and social skills and truancy.

I've talked about the effects of my own family, but i don't see how this can be discussed without mentioning the reasons why lockdown had to happen. It's not going off topic. And actually, I think understanding the reasons is a big part of why so many people have been able to deal with it so well. Humans are pretty resilient.

On the last page you were talking about the effects of having the lockdown in place earlier, and on this page you're telling everyone off for straying from the topic of kids. As if the discussion on this forum is going to help "deal" with their mental health and social skills and truancy.

I've talked about the effects of my own family, but i don't see how this can be discussed without mentioning the reasons why lockdown had to happen. It's not going off topic. And actually, I think understanding the reasons is a big part of why so many people have been able to deal with it so well. Humans are pretty resilient.
    With regards to your last sentence, it it never more true when it comes to people who chose not to get vaccinated

I'm not telling anyone off. I'm just saying, justification for the lockdown at the time and the impact of it on (in this case) young people are two different topics, although as you say, clearly linked.

And no, this forum won't help deal with anything, but that goes for every topic ever discussed on here. Still, conversations can be useful on topics.

I heard Dr J Campbell has got some data in his latest video blog. The guy scares me with the stuff he puts out , not sure why he’s not banned from You Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I heard Dr J Campbell has got some data in his latest video blog. The guy scares me with the stuff he puts out , not sure why he’s not banned from You Tube.
    Why would you listen to him when you can access the expertise of the Cowbridge Tory and the boys from Bargoed on here ?.

I'm not telling anyone off. I'm just saying, justification for the lockdown at the time and the impact of it on (in this case) young people are two different topics, although as you say, clearly linked.

And no, this forum won't help deal with anything, but that goes for every topic ever discussed on here. Still, conversations can be useful on topics.
    Go and re-read the OP, it is 100% about being against lockdown and people feeling persecuted for being against lockdown and not about moving forward with children's mental health or education issues. It is an attempt to justify being anti-lockdown, kids are just a tool.

I think this is just another example of you failing to make a decent point and then acting superior James. Your post on the first page was in exactly the same vein as everyone else's, other than your trademark fence sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Go and re-read the OP, it is 100% about being against lockdown and people feeling persecuted for being against lockdown and not about moving forward with children's mental health or education issues. It is an attempt to justify being anti-lockdown, kids are just a tool.

I think this is just another example of you failing to make a decent point and then acting superior James. Your post on the first page was in exactly the same vein as everyone else's, other than your trademark fence sitting.
    Well he can be against the lockdown if he wishes and thinks it wasn't worth it for the long term damage, but that's beside the point..

It's not fence sitting, it's recognising the pros and cons of issues. One of the cons is the impact on kids. Any suggestions on that?

Well he can be against the lockdown if he wishes and thinks it wasn't worth it for the long term damage, but that's beside the point..

It's not fence sitting, it's recognising the pros and cons of issues. One of the cons is the impact on kids. Any suggestions on that?
    Kids will get over it in the long term, vulnerable elderly adults won't! QED: Life isn't always smooth!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Kids will get over it in the long term, vulnerable elderly adults won't! QED: Life isn't always smooth!
    But dismissive there Dorcus, but there we go. I guess everyone has different things they are concerned about etc

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Why would you listen to him when you can access the expertise of the Cowbridge Tory and the boys from Bargoed on here ?.
    It's all about tweedle dum up in heath

The overall health of the country never mattered

Woe is me and my problems

But pretending to be concerned

The grim reaper

Indeed

But dismissive there Dorcus, but there we go. I guess everyone has different things they are concerned about etc
    Not dismissive in the slightest; more a case of realism I'd say.

I think there is something in suggesting that young people could sometimes have a bit more resilience about the realities of life, but I'd say you are both being a bit dismissive here. Absenteeism, anxiety, mental health problems, less developed, lacking social skills, less suited to the workplace etc. There is a real post covid impact and I think it's all of our responsibility as a society to try and understand and help fix that tbh.

I don't think they can all be waved away by saying life is tough, get over it. Covid changed things.

Not dismissive in the slightest; more a case of realism I'd say.
    What about the 1:10 of the whole population on the NHS waiting list for operations ( indirect result of lockdowns), a vast majority of which are life threatening, will they get over it ?

What about the millions who have lost their businesses , will they get over it ?

What about the 1:10 of the whole population on the NHS waiting list for operations ( indirect result of lockdowns), a vast majority of which are life threatening, will they get over it ?

What about the millions who have lost their businesses , will they get over it ?
    People have been subject to problems with NHS waiting lists for many years

If you accept this was a world wide pandemic ......I hope you do ......then waiting lists , unemployment , kids missing school etc etc was always going to be a problem

What is it you are after here ?

Suggestions not required from a data monkey like myself, I don't know if you realise, but you are a bit late to the party, schools and children's services departments across the land have been dealing with this for well over two years now..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Suggestions not required from a data monkey like myself, I don't know if you realise, but you are a bit late to the party, schools and children's services departments across the land have been dealing with this for well over two years now..
    I know they have. The issues have been escalating since the first lockdown. I dread to think what happened behind closed doors in many households.

I know they have. The issues have been escalating since the first lockdown. I dread to think what happened behind closed doors in many households.
    Well it is what it is

Being unprepared for a pandemic is and was a huge ask for the NHS , Social Services , Schools , The Police , Kids , The Elderly , Disabled people etc etc

Some people had nervous breakdowns because they couldn't go to Spain or ponce about on a Munich City Break with their wife to be

Some of it was cringeworthy

Thank god we havnt had a war recently

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People have been subject to problems with NHS waiting lists for many years

If you accept this was a world wide pandemic ......I hope you do ......then waiting lists , unemployment , kids missing school etc etc was always going to be a problem

What is it you are after here ?
    I don’t accept it was a worldwide problem western societies definitely though , Many of African carried on relatively normally and escaped lightly, but this could be due to the lack of testing and societal distrust in governments.

Unfortunately life isn't perfect, no matter what they told you in Blue Peter.

I think there is something in suggesting that young people could sometimes have a bit more resilience about the realities of life, but I'd say you are both being a bit dismissive here. Absenteeism, anxiety, mental health problems, less developed, lacking social skills, less suited to the workplace etc. There is a real post covid impact and I think it's all of our responsibility as a society to try and understand and help fix that tbh.

I don't think they can all be waved away by saying life is tough, get over it. Covid changed things.
    James, dare I say it, you need to grow up. We were facing a horrendous pandemic; as in wartime there isn't always time nor opportunity to deal with the niceties. Children are far more resilient than adults; they will get over it.

Anyway this isn't a genuine thread about the issues with children and lockdowns. This is a thread initiated by libertarians who have a hatred of any collective restriction and who are sufficiently obsessed by the subject they constantly seek out some smidgeon of adverse news about the effects of lockdowns.

Lockdowns may well be unpleasant and will always cause issues but unfortunately in times of maximum risk they will always be required to be deployed as a defence of last resort.

James, dare I say it, you need to grow up. We were facing a horrendous pandemic; as in wartime there isn't always time nor opportunity to deal with the niceties. Children are far more resilient than adults; they will get over it.

Anyway this isn't a genuine thread about the issues with children and lockdowns. This is a thread initiated by libertarians who have a hatred of any collective restriction and who are sufficiently obsessed by the subject they constantly seek out some smidgeon of adverse news about the effects of lockdowns.

Lockdowns may well be unpleasant and will always cause issues but unfortunately in times of maximum risk they will always be required to be deployed as a defence of last resort.
    I don't think you have a grasp of the extent of the issue here. And in terms of growing up, I don't appreciate that one bit because I recognise and want to help people impacted by things in recent years.

You need to get over any ideological issue that may be real (or may be in your head) in respect of a thread on a messageboard and realise our younger generation is in need of help due to policies put in place in recent years. This IS a thread about the impact on children. That it wasn't started by someone ideologically pure enough for you says more about your priorities, not anyone else's. I couldn't care less who started the thread.

Quite an extraordinary outlook from you tbh. This isn't about the lockdown. That's the past. This is the future and the issues are real.

The problems some young people are facing as a consequence of the lockdowns are real. If all you have to say is tough luck, or pull your socks up, then fair enough, you've said your piece. But telling others to "grow up" isnt helpful to anyone whatsoever.

My kids were largely fine thankfully. Some of my friends kids really were not. I have friends who are teachers who have said some kids have regressed years.

You really aren’t thinking clearly again, and do you have kids to even comment

I don’t think you have a clue what people with children went through and as an aside it’s not a hatred at all, it’s more the fact that many many people who called out the policy from the start and were labelled all sorts, but clearly from what is being allowed to be released from the public enquiry the same people are being proved correct.