+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulut: 'At least we now know which players can step up'

Bulut: 'At least we now know which players can step up'

The boss not pulling any punches here...

https://nation.cymru/sport/cardiff-b...fter-cup-loss/

Re: Bulut: 'At least we now know which players can step up'

I'd interpret that being Sawyers and Rinomhota's final appearances for us. There's surely no way he is referring towards the debutants, and we know Robinson, Tanner, Etete, Adams, Colwill and Panzo will be used in some capacity going forward.

We have to stabilise as a club this season

It's best the carling cup is out of the equation

He did right to pick a squad side

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

The more I see and the more I hear from this manager, the more I think we might be on to a good thing. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The more I see and the more I hear from this manager, the more I think we might be on to a good thing. We'll see.
    Yup, and by the sounds of things, he didn't sound too happy with any of them tonight,

a little unfair imho on certain players, we know it was a 2nd string team, if one of them had been asked to " step up " to the 1st team they might have done better, but it really was a 2nd string team, so they were not really asked to step up, they were asked to play in a team that wouldn't be good enough for the Championship

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    a little unfair imho on certain players, we know it was a 2nd string team, if one of them had been asked to " step up " to the 1st team they might have done better, but it really was a 2nd string team, so they were not really asked to step up, they were asked to play in a team that wouldn't be good enough for the Championship
    I agree, I only listened to the game, so I can’t be sure, but it.sounded like it was more experienced players who struggled most like Sawyers, Rinomhota, Romeo and Panzo and Evans found the defensive side of a role he must have barely played in before a struggle.

The commentators were very impressed by Rubin Colwill, Bulut less so it seems.

The markings from Wales Online do not reflect the game I listened to, but who’s to know who’s right if you didn’t see what was happening yourself?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...int_source=nba

Tanner staked his claim via these games. A few weeks later he's scoring the winner in the South Wales derby and in the starting lineup the game after that.

It's up to the other players to try and follow the same path and they failed to do so where Tanner succeeded.

Doesn't seem to suffer fools which is good and I wonder at what point the club start talking to him about extending his contract as he has a year plus an option to extend.

Appreciate it is early but the signs are positive in my view and we don't want to leave it too late?

Too right….

The starting line up was not a team of kids. Only 2, Colwill and Tanner, still qualify for the U21's.

6 of the team were Morison signings from the summer of '22. Most of whom were 1st choice at the start of last season. Another (Campbell) was on the bench. From what we've seen, apart from the strikers, none are good enough.

The squad lacks balance, Denham and Bagan's loans now look strange decisions as do the failure to move on Sawyers, Rinhomota and Campbell (although I accept that this may not have been by choice). From what I've seen so far from Joe Colwill he would be a better selection than Sawyers, Rinhomota and probably Adams (although not at centre back).

I'd have played Goutas, Joe Colwill and Luey Giles, ahead of Rinhomota, Sawyers and Tanner (or Evans) and given the team balance. Playing Goutas would have also given a fairer opportunity for Panzo to settle in.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I'd interpret that being Sawyers and Rinomhota's final appearances for us. There's surely no way he is referring towards the debutants, and we know Robinson, Tanner, Etete, Adams, Colwill and Panzo will be used in some capacity going forward.
    And Kieran Evans, this is not his level. League 2 or maybe 1 at best!

International

Difficult for Runarsson, Panzo and Romeo, they will be judged by some fans as part of a defensive unit that conceded five, at least we still got our usual two goals and Colwill, and Etete had a chance to show what they could do going forward.

I wouldn't take too much out of this result, and I agree with previous posts in that we should have used young defensive players to give them experience not try and adapt midfielders.

It does highlight or weak spots for cover, centre half, left back and Striker injuries will hit us hard, we need cover for those areas in January if we can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Difficult for Runarsson, Panzo and Romeo, they will be judged by some fans as part of a defensive unit that conceded five, at least we still got our usual two goals and Colwill, and Etete had a chance to show what they could do going forward.

I wouldn't take too much out of this result, and I agree with previous posts in that we should have used young defensive players to give them experience not try and adapt midfielders.

It does highlight or weak spots for cover, centre half, left back and Striker injuries will hit us hard, we need cover for those areas in January if we can find them.
    I’ve been impressed with Bulut, but still maintain he will need two transfer windows to get the players he needs around him.
    Last night was a makeshift side with players playing out of position.
    There was an opportunity for one or two to remind the manager what they were capable of and force him into thinking about how they could fit in with the current first team
    It probably also confirmed to the coaching team that four or five players need to be moved on.

A win on Saturday and a place in the top six, and last night’s result will be a distant memory

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think we can thank our lucky stars we lost Lamouchi at the end of last season. From what I've seen so far Bulut is heaps better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think we can thank our lucky stars we lost Lamouchi at the end of last season. From what I've seen so far Bulut is heaps better.
    Agreed. I like his honesty as well, i like that he basically said that last night was a chance for players to show him what they're capable of, and some of them failed. I don'r quite understand excuses for players when they're presented with an opportunity. Maybe if they're young or inexperienced. But saying that the bloke playing next to you is shite is an excuse. Players who can play and who have the right attitude will still show their ability and character in a poor team, and a good manager will see it, even if things aren't working out for that player. The result was never that important for some of those players, their performance was though.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Agreed. I like his honesty as well, i like that he basically said that last night was a chance for players to show him what they're capable of, and some of them failed. I don'r quite understand excuses for players when they're presented with an opportunity. Maybe if they're young or inexperienced. But saying that the bloke playing next to you is shite is an excuse. Players who can play and who have the right attitude will still show their ability and character in a poor team, and a good manager will see it, even if things aren't working out for that player. The result was never that important for some of those players, their performance was though.
    Games like this can be a bit hit or miss, remember a lot of them haven't kicked a ball in anger for months, so they will be rusty and not up to standard, but hopefully, a few grabbed their opportunity.

For the past two and a half seasons we've purely added to the squad with a view to replacing established players and keeping the club in the Championship. This squad is barely mid-table [currently], but there's signs that going forward there will be less emphasis on survival.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcbluebird View Post
    The boss not pulling any punches here...

https://nation.cymru/sport/cardiff-b...fter-cup-loss/
    My type of manager , you win and get respect by being honest with people and their abilities .. hiding a teams weaknesses will get you relegated and sacked .

Thought Sawyers really struggled yesterday. It was a frantic game and he couldn't get up to the pace. Difficult to drop into a game when you've played zero minutes recently though. Also thought Rinomota was pretty anonymous. Adams was the best of the 3 senior CMs in the team by some distance; and he was at CB. I'd say Adams was out best CB too, which might suggest that Panzo struggled a bit! Runarsson also seemed jittery but as above its problem harsh to judge too much on such a make shift team.

Colwill & Etete were the 2 standouts for me. Though Bulut wasn't overly complementary around the defensive side of Colwill's game nor his final pass etc, in the post-match comms. He certainly was the player getting us up the field and was my MOTM, but no idea what his instructions were defensively. I think Etete starts on Saturday. Potentially Robbo instead of one of the 3 CMs we started against Sunderland with, given we are playing Rotherham at home too.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Games like this can be a bit hit or miss, remember a lot of them haven't kicked a ball in anger for months, so they will be rusty and not up to standard, but hopefully, a few grabbed their opportunity.
    And there's a reason why they haven't kicked a ball in anger (Competitively) for months. If they were showing more then they would have got their chance, although i'm not talking about the young lads on the bench, i'm talking about the established players in the team last night. I think that Bulut is fair, we have seen that with Tanner, he had two feet out the door, the only thing keeping him inside the threshold was his quiff. But Bulut allowed him a chance, has allowed him to develop, coached him on his work rate, concentration, intelligence, awareness etc, without taking away his ability with a ball. And it's working out pretty well so far, although still a long way to go with him.

Professional football is no joke, it isn't really fair, for plenty of players with ability there will never be that perfect storm moment when they get to play along side other good players who can compliment them, that's earned after showing up in games like last nights, by doing your job, doing the right things even if they don't come off. I'm pretty sure that's what a manager-coach wants to see, then he can think, well yeah, that would have worked out with a better player alongside a certain player.

Chances are limited at this level, and players have to take them, it's that simple, or they're out, fofget the variables, they take responsibility for their own performance, the ones that can do that will prosper. I think that as fans, with our emotive hat on, and nothing wrong in that, we like to be more patient, forgiving. We build relationships with players and look for reasons why they're not performing, i do it, we all do it. Sadly for the players involved, the manager and coaching staff don't see it that way. Look at someone like Evans last night, i don't really know much about him, but bulut would have probably told him to show him something, show him why he should be considered for the first team, even if we lose 5-2 you go out there and give me a reason to take notice, take it on yourself, take responsibility when the odds are in your favour. He didn't do that (and i'm not picking on Evans, although he's 22 in December. That was a big chance for him last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, and by the sounds of things, he didn't sound too happy with any of them tonight,
    Hardly gave many a platform to succeed. One centre half in the side, a formation the firsts don't play and an entirely second string team with kids coming on in the second half

Surely a better gauge on who can step up is how they perform alongside the actual firsts or at least in the shape we'd actually play? Surely it would make more sense to put Panzo in a back 4, stick a kid in at left back if needed and Evans in his actual position as a winger rather than a wing back on the wrong side? You can say chances are limited, but you can't just chuck a rag tag side together with little semblance to where these players play or would play if they were in the firsts and then say "x can't step up"

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Hardly gave many a platform to succeed. One centre half in the side, a formation the firsts don't play and an entirely second string team with kids coming on in the second half

Surely a better gauge on who can step up is how they perform alongside the actual firsts?
    And they earn that right by doing well in games like last night. It's not me saying this, it's evidence based, we have all watched enough football and seen enough prospects. What should Bulut do, give these players the perfect platform to perform on so that they can show us how good they are? It's still a competitive football match, players can still show their worth in a poor team, they can show quality. These players have to help themselves when the chance arises, and last night was a chance for a few of them.