+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Cricket World Cup Thread

Unofficial Cricket World Cup Thread

Who’s everyone tipping to in it ?

India have to be favourites

Re: Unofficial Cricket World Cup Thread

Other than India, England have the best balanced side. They bat a long way down, and bowl a long way up.

India bottle things though, I’d like New Zealand to win it and I think they have a chance - South Africa look a strong, well balanced side on paper, but they are serial under achievers in World Cups.

First Team

New Zealand are my favourites with England next.
    India look strong on paper but like France in the rugby I just get the feeling that it just won't happen for them.
    Surprise package Pakistan.

weather not been great there this week 3 games washed out in the warm ups
    pakistan to win it for me

England have a great chance, but it’s all about consistency

Pretty even start so far England 109/3 after 19. Bit of a silly innings from Brook. After the first few times I saw him I had an image of a classy batsman in my head. He's looking increasingly like someone who doesn't possess any middle gears though, either blocking and struggling to get a single or trying to flay the ball to all parts. If the 0, 4 and 6 heavy style continues to work for him fair enough, but I have a feeling if he doesn't change things up a bit he may get worked out and start struggling quite soon .

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Pretty even start so far England 109/3 after 19. Bit of a silly innings from Brook. After the first few times I saw him I had an image of a classy batsman in my head. He's looking increasingly like someone who doesn't possess any middle gears though, either blocking and struggling to get a single or trying to flay the ball to all parts. If the 0, 4 and 6 heavy style continues to work for him fair enough, but I have a feeling if he doesn't change things up a bit he may get worked out and start struggling quite soon .
    hes already been worked out by a lot of bowlers ,with there batting line up it ok to carry him at the moment hoping it pays off

Unbelievable batting lineup mind. 4 down early looks a bit precarious, then Butter and Livingstone come in 6 and 7. Must be a nightmare to bowl against

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Unbelievable batting lineup mind. 4 down early looks a bit precarious, then Butter and Livingstone come in 6 and 7. Must be a nightmare to bowl against
    Maybe, but they’re looking well below a par score at 258-9 with three overs left.

Too many flashy innings between 15 and 45.

England 282-9 off their fifty over, Rashid and Wood added what may be a vital twenty or so for the last wicket.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Maybe, but they’re looking well below a par score at 258-9 with three overs left.

Personally it.might be a bit early to establish what a par score is for teams not used to the conditions yet and also this world cup is over 7 weeks so maybe more of a marathon than a sprint

Be interesting to see what NZ makes of the total and how the pitch changes or not as the case maybe

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I agree with that. Although I suppose those around the England team would probably point to the success the ultra aggressive style has brought them.

There does have to be some kind of sense though. The commentators on tms actually predicted Livingstone's dismissal '4 dot balls from Boult, feel that Livingstone is going to go for a big heave here'. I found myself thinking ' the Livingstone of last year would, but he looks like he's matured now and will probably be happy to see Boult off'. Sure enough, out he gets.
    With the kiwis relying on 10 overs from part timers it just seems so daft to get so frustrated at 4 dots from the oppositions premier bowler.

Kiwis going along at a T20 pace in the chase. England need a wicket very quickly

NZ need 19 from 90 balls with nine wickets in hand.

As big a hiding as you're likely to see this WC.

An absolute spanking

Absolutely walloped.
    England's batters have to remind themselves there's a big difference between 20 and 50 over cricket.

NZ's Ravindra looks some prospect.
    Super innings.

Not sure too many teams will have collapsed to 364 before in a 50 over match. Scoring 60 odd in the last 10 and a bit overs while losing 7 wickets.

Bit of an escape from Bangladesh, was looking like they'd be on the end of well over 400 for a lot of the innings

Topley bowled well as England win by about 130 - still not wholly convincing though.

Aussies getting a bit of a going over from South Africa this afternoon

Currently 60-4

Absolute tonking, lost by 134 runs.

A few hundred there to witness it by the look of things.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Absolute tonking, lost by 134 runs.

A few hundred there to witness it by the look of things.
    Looked about 15,000

132,000 about to watch India v Pakistan!