+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: R.I.P Franny Lee

R.I.P Franny Lee

Another face from my early teenage years has bitten the dust at the age of 79.

Who can ever forget his dust up with Norman Hunter of durty Leeds fame, on MOTD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALdVum0xEk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66987328

Re: R.I.P Franny Lee

Now there was a diver! Never one of my favourite players because his great goal stopped Wales beating England at Ninian Park in 1970. Was a very good striker though, powerful, quick and tricky with a bit of an edge to him.

RIP

A Manchester legend, for both the red and blue side of the city.

Wasn't it his audacious back-heeled goal that condemned United to the old Second Division?
    If I remember rightly, he didn't celebrate the goal (at a time before it became the expected thing to do against clubs you'd previously served).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

Wasn't it his audacious back-heeled goal that condemned United to the old Second Division?
    If I remember rightly, he didn't celebrate the goal (at a time before it became the expected thing to do against clubs you'd previously served).
    Think that was Denis Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yes it was.

I first remember him down the city playing for Bolton. One of those strikers like Ken Wagstaff of Hull that I was always fearful of us playing against.

Man City, although not in the Liverpool or United bracket then we're sort of my second team so I was pleased when Franny Lee joined them and became such a success.

Rest in Peace Franny.

What a fail by me!
    Thanks, Tuerto.

... but the kind of goal 'Franny Lee' so could easily have scored if...

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I first remember him down the city playing for Bolton. One of those strikers like Ken Wagstaff of Hull that I was always fearful of us playing against.

Man City, although not in the Liverpool or United bracket then we're sort of my second team so I was pleased when Franny Lee joined them and became such a success.

Rest in Peace Franny.
    I had totally forgotten that I saw Lee play for Bolton at Ninian Park. Ken Wagstaff, now there's another blast from the past, as you rightly say, our defence had to be on top of their game to stop him scoring. A great 2nd Divison striker back in the day

What a fail by me!
    Thanks, Tuerto.

... but the kind of goal 'Franny Lee' so could easily have scored if...
    You pulled it back👍

Sorry to spoil the long held urban myth that Law's goal relegated Manchester United. It didn't.
    https://www.planetfootball.com/nosta...chester%20City.

You pulled it back👍
    You're being too kind.
    I won't visit this thread again

RIP 'Franny Lee'

You're being too kind.
    I won't visit this thread again

RIP 'Franny Lee'
    Mate, that's nothing. I remember when we played Tranmere at home. All this noise about a certain Mr Koumas. Anyway, I kept an eye out for him. He was dreadful.muttered quite loudly 'That Koumas is shit' people heard me but no reaction. Then on about 20 minutes there was a corner to Tranmere, this was my chance as Koumas was taking it. Very loud " Koumas you're Shit Mate" the player taking the corner lifted his head,looked at me as said " I'm. Not Koumas you prick, he's ****ing injured" and about 200 people laughed at me. And you think you've had a 'Mare......🤣

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes it was.
    And it didn't relegate United, they were already down because of results elsewhere

Mate, that's nothing. I remember when we played Tranmere at home. All this noise about a certain Mr Koumas. Anyway, I kept an eye out for him. He was dreadful.muttered quite loudly 'That Koumas is shit' people heard me but no reaction. Then on about 20 minutes there was a corner to Tranmere, this was my chance as Koumas was taking it. Very loud " Koumas you're Shit Mate" the player taking the corner lifted his head,looked at me as said " I'm. Not Koumas you prick, he's ****ing injured" and about 200 people laughed at me. And you think you've had a 'Mare......🤣
    😄

Lee, interesting....VERY interesting. Just look at his face.

My first ever football game was Derby v Leeds in 1975. The famous Franny Lee v Norman Hunter scrap. RIP.

First Team

Didn't he make a fortune from toilet rolls after his playing days were over.
    Probably best known for the brawl against Leeds these days as it is still shown on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Didn't he make a fortune from toilet rolls after his playing days were over.
    Probably best known for the brawl against Leeds these days as it is still shown on TV.
    Yes, and then bought out Peter Swales to become chairman of Man City

Him and Colin Bell were my heroes in the late 60s/early 70s, before I got to see City play.

Doubt many United fans considered him a legend!
    (Sorry mate, just clearing that up )

Got a coin with his face on it somewhere.

RIP Franny and thanks for the memory of getting stuck in to that Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I had totally forgotten that I saw Lee play for Bolton at Ninian Park. Ken Wagstaff, now there's another blast from the past, as you rightly say, our defence had to be on top of their game to stop him scoring. A great 2nd Divison striker back in the day
    In 1966 we had a couple of heavy home defeats against both Bolton and Hull (2-5 and 2-4) and I'm pretty sure that both Franny Lee and Ken Wagstaff featured amongst the goalscorers for our opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Now there was a diver! Never one of my favourite players because his great goal stopped Wales beating England at Ninian Park in 1970. Was a very good striker though, powerful, quick and tricky with a bit of an edge to him.

RIP
    Easy for the undertaker as he couldn't help but dive in a box.

Great player. Saw him play for Man City and also England at Ninian.Great penalty taker, you wouldn’t have looked forward to marking him.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Sorry to spoil the long held urban myth that Law's goal relegated Manchester United. It didn't.
    https://www.planetfootball.com/nosta...chester%20City.
    it didn't help

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Lee, interesting....VERY interesting. Just look at his face.

My first ever football game was Derby v Leeds in 1975. The famous Franny Lee v Norman Hunter scrap. RIP.
    Most cringy piece of commentary from start to finish, ever!