+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2030 World Cup - 6 countries 3 continents

2030 World Cup - 6 countries 3 continents

Re: 2030 World Cup - 6 countries 3 continents

Bizarre.

I think FIFA are at risk of messing with the world cup at their peril. Increasing teams to 48 will inevitably impact the average quality of games and risks more mismatches.

And this is truly bizarre

As usual, no thought given to the fans having to traipse across continents to watch their team. All about the greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    As usual, no thought given to the fans having to traipse across continents to watch their team. All about the greed.
    No need for us Welsh to worry.

We'll be unintentionally boycotting due to Pagey.

I think the reasoning for going to Uruguay, Argentina and (slightly more weirdly) Paraguay is political not greed, but the whole thing is weird and as you say no thought given to travelling fans as clearly three sets of teams will have to travel there.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think the reasoning for going to Uruguay, Argentina and (slightly more weirdly) Paraguay is political not greed, but the whole thing is weird and as you say no thought given to travelling fans as clearly three sets of teams will have to travel there.
    Infantino has said the reasons are to bring football world together and a celebration of South America hosting the first World Cup.

I'd prefer if he had actually been honest and said they're going for South American beak and prostitutes.

Just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Just stupid.
    It's not a tournament, just an extension of the knock out stages..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's not a tournament, just an extension of the knock out stages..
    That's the risk isn't it. It devalues the tournament. It's like saying the premier League is now for 50 clubs and pretending it's the same.

That said, I don't think the Euros going from 16 to 24 has damaged it, and there is a historical unbalance in world football in terms of how many teams qualify. But I'm certain the 48 team tournament will be devalued a little.

And how much will the bloody sticker albums cost to complete?!

First Team

Further cheapens the international game.

Bizarre.

I think FIFA are at risk of messing with the world cup at their peril. Increasing teams to 48 will inevitably impact the average quality of games and risks more mismatches.

And this is truly bizarre
    The increase to 48 teams has already been agreed for USA/Mexico/Canada 2026.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The increase to 48 teams has already been agreed for USA/Mexico/Canada 2026.
    Yeah I know. A mistake I think. Too big a jump. I know it needs to fit in with the numbers needed for second rounds, quarter finals etc but still.

Panini shares to the moon

my daughter completed the last book ( Wales 1st WC etc etc ), I hate to think what we spent, I then had to order direct from them, had to make 3 orders from them in the end , did manage to sell the spares on eBay, so made a little back

Ridiculous.

While we are all getting ready for electric travel Infantino has football fans flying all over the place.

Football-wise, as has been said, I'm not sure we should be getting too excited about going.

That's a very good point - I hadn't thought of that!

That's the risk isn't it. It devalues the tournament. It's like saying the premier League is now for 50 clubs and pretending it's the same.

That said, I don't think the Euros going from 16 to 24 has damaged it, and there is a historical unbalance in world football in terms of how many teams qualify. But I'm certain the 48 team tournament will be devalued a little.

The level of talent in Europe is far higher. Even the last Euros you had the likes of Norway, Ireland and Serbia missing out, they're better than a lot of the teams who'll reach the next World Cup

According to Fifa's rules, a continent can't host the next 2 World Cups so this bid would wipe out Europe, South America and Africa for the next 2 World Cups. The USA/Canada/Mexico bid wipes out North America for 2030 and 2034 leaving just Asia and Oceania (which doesn't include Australia in its confederation anymore I believe) able to bid for the 2034 World Cup.

Coincidentally Saudi Arabia just announced their bid for the 2034 World Cup...

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We knew it was coming, a nice few trips for FIFA and its crowd, World cups in the bag for them

The level of talent in Europe is far higher. Even the last Euros you had the likes of Norway, Ireland and Serbia missing out, they're better than a lot of the teams who'll reach the next World Cup
    It has always been that way.

Depending on where you are in the world geographically you only play teams close by, even if they are all shite.

The way Infantino is carrying on they might as well scrap the regional qualifying groups and have a world draw!

According to Fifa's rules, a continent can't host the next 2 World Cups so this bid would wipe out Europe, South America and Africa for the next 2 World Cups. The USA/Canada/Mexico bid wipes out North America for 2030 and 2034 leaving just Asia and Oceania (which doesn't include Australia in its confederation anymore I believe) able to bid for the 2034 World Cup.

Another stupid winter, human rights busting world cup coming up.

It's like they're trying to make the worst decision every single time.

Having it in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay would be great, as would Spain, Portugal and maybe even Morocco. Combining them is so stupid.

I quite like it . The opening 3 matches being in South America hardly really upsets the rest of the tournament. As for the other '2 continents', Morocco is pretty close to Spain and Portugal to be fair, the fact it's in another continent is pretty academic

It does if you are one of the “lucky” teams who has to play there. Either fly across the world or only get to see 2 group games.

As others have said, being cynical you’d say it’s a setup for the Saudis to be the only game in town for the next one. Expect the Aussies to be paid off in one form or another as they are the other who have said they might be interested.

brown envelopes

Cannot disagree with any of this, including the choice of photo.