+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 1 WATFORD. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 1 WATFORD. Match thread

One of the very annoying negative plays we’ve introduced is when we get a throw in in our half , even if it is near the half way line, without fail we throw it hard backwards to one of the centre half’s who returns it to the keeper. Their goal came from a throw that Collins, who was nearer to the halfway line, threw back to McGuinness who passed back to Alnwick. If it had been thrown forward down the line we would have been halfway inside their half. We did it several times in the first half too. Fine once or twice but not every time, mix it up a bit.

We were very poor today, the first 35 minutes or so were okay but too pedestrian with every midfield pass going sideways or back. Watford were poor, they were loudly booed by their fans at half time but sloppy play almost gave them a goal just before half time and we didn’t learn from it. Tom Ince should have won it late on for Watford from another defensive mistake too.

We did look tired but Watford had a long trip north this week too ( away to Sunderland) and they played Wednesday so we had a day longer rest than they did so just don’t buy it. Robinson was way off the pace when he came on, as he has been in previous sub appearances, he doesn’t appear to be fit? Bulut said Colwill needs to do more defensively but Sawyers almost played Watford in with yet another ludicrous back pass. I don’t think Colwill could have done any worse coming on as a sub.

With Etete and Meite injured we seem to have no choice but to persevere with Ugbo up front but we’ve got to get another player closer to him and that’s not Wintle. We need to trust our back 4 and 2 defensive midfielders ( Siopsis and Ralls) to provide enough defensive coverage and get another attacking player into the no 10 role. In Ramsey’s absence let’s try Colwill or Robinson or Grant ( with Bowler going wide instead) , especially when we are playing at home.

The one positive is we managed to get a point but it was an awful quality game between 2 out of form teams

Sawyers taking a freekick just inside our own half, he immediately positions himself facing our goal to take it, thus signaling that he had no intention of playing the ball forward. He got booed for it and rightly so.
    In fact, I think his first three or four touches of the ball all went backwards or sideways. You'd think a substitute would be briefed to show more urgency and try and do something to wake the team up from its slumber.

If we'd won we would have been 6th..not 3rd or 4th as someone said.

Where wintle is best is picking up the ball from the defence, keep the ball moving and moving it around the back until someone with more vision, aka Ramsey, picks it up pings more positive passes forward. When Wintle is a 10 we don't do that and the defence struggle to keep the ball moving positively. So many times yesterday siopis and ralls gave the ball to wintle and it just kept coming back to them and the defence.. mistakes are then inevitable.

If Bulut doesn't trust Colwill as a 10 and Robbo isn't yet fit enough, he needs to change the system.

The current system starves wide players of any decent balls to run onto and poor Ugbo was out muscled by two big centre halves all game... And we didn't change things at all.

Some worrying signs that Bulut can be a bit too stubborn... But the booing at full time was ridiculous

Re: CARDIFF CITY v WATFORD. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    fecking Albatross club ffs
    I had three scoops of cherry ice cream before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Where wintle is best is picking up the ball from the defence, keep the ball moving and moving it around the back until someone with more vision, aka Ramsey, picks it up pings more positive passes forward. When Wintle is a 10 we don't do that and the defence struggle to keep the ball moving positively. So many times yesterday siopis and ralls gave the ball to wintle and it just kept coming back to them and the defence.. mistakes are then inevitable.

If Bulut doesn't trust Colwill as a 10 and Robbo isn't yet fit enough, he needs to change the system.

The current system starves wide players of any decent balls to run onto and poor Ugbo was out muscled by two big centre halves all game... And we didn't change things at all.

Some worrying signs that Bulut can be a bit too stubborn... But the booing at full time was ridiculous
    Good post and I agree with this and a few others. If Bulut says Colwill doesn’t work hard enough to play for him fair enough (and I’m not sure I totally disagree but has he ever watched Sawyers play football in the last few years) but then it’s hard to complain we play the ball backwards too much when we have a holding midfielder in the number 10. And let’s be honest based on the limited viewings this year Robinson is just as lazy as Colwill and Sawyers which is probably why he’s not playing much either.

In a nutshell, if this system only works if Ramsey is fit because he’s the only one who can play the 10, he’s going to have to find some other system or he’s going to have to take a chance on Colwill or Robinson. And creative players who can also press don’t grow on trees or don’t come cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Sawyers taking a freekick just inside our own half, he immediately positions himself facing our goal to take it, thus signaling that he had no intention of playing the ball forward. He got booed for it and rightly so.
    In fact, I think his first three or four touches of the ball all went backwards or sideways. You'd think a substitute would be briefed to show more urgency and try and do something to wake the team up from its slumber.
    That substitution showed us all the intentions of the manager and it sure as hell wasn’t let’s get the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    As a fan I’d rather go for the win even if you risk the loss. Fair enough if you don’t rate Rubin, but no way is he league 2. Dramatically better. Personally for me he could start and I defy anyone to convince me Ryan bloody wintle is a better no.10 than him.
    No I don’t think he’s a league 2 player but I’d rather he went out on loan, played week in week out, if he’s as good as everyone says he should be the best player in the league and be bouncing when he came back in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    That substitution showed us all the intentions of the manager and it sure as hell wasn’t let’s get the winner.
    Oh there was clearly no intention to go for a winner. When Ugbo was substituted he did the trick of walking away from the touch line so he had to walk further back across the field and Ng took a long time over all the throw ins in injury time. Think Bulut had instructed them to try and hang on at that point

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    As a fan I’d rather go for the win even if you risk the loss. Fair enough if you don’t rate Rubin, but no way is he league 2. Dramatically better. Personally for me he could start and I defy anyone to convince me Ryan bloody wintle is a better no.10 than him.
    How do you know he's dramatically better than league 2?

I'm not saying he isn't but he has only ever played consistently at development level. From what I've seen and the lack of trust 3 or 4 managers have given him I have no idea where he will end up.

He's not a baby anymore and he needs to be playing, wherever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I guess he and the managers before him decide his creativity isn’t worth his lack of defensive play or pressing. If you want a free role you need to be a Taarabt at this level, is he? No where near imo. Bulut and previously managers have seen more of him than us. Although I do agree Sawyers as a sub ahead of him is odd but again shows his lack of trust. He should have been sent out on loan imo to a league 2 club to play every game.

Risk I get but that risk may have got us a win, may have also lost us a point.
    Bulut blocked a loan for Colwill. What was the point if he won't play him?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I’m not sure, I guess we just don’t have the numbers or he feels he can improve him.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Seems strange, doesn't it? And he's just signed a new extended contract. Bulut is pretty direct in what he wants from Colwill and he hasn't met much resistance in the same way Morison did. Maybe that's down to performances and results, maybe it's down to Bulut's personality, he comes across as a more genuine and honest person than Morison, more intelligent as well, And can't recall the jist of the criticism aimed towards colwill from Morison, was it more so in a 'Mocking' 'Belittling' style? One thing's for sure, Morison was a grade 1 cock and i can't put it any other way.

Back to Colwill. We can all see his ability, and we can all see his deficiencies, but like you say, if he's on the bench and his contract has been extended then why isn't he getting a real chance? It's a bit boring now in my opinion, get him in, give him the rope in order to succeed or fail at this level. He's 22 soon enough and he broke through close on three years ago. Bulut obviously doesn't trust him, but this is doing nothing for Colwill as a person or a footballer. If he hasn't established himself by the end of this season then he really needs to go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Seems strange, doesn't it? And he's just signed a new extended contract. Bulut is pretty direct in what he wants from Colwill and he hasn't met much resistance in the same way Morison did. Maybe that's down to performances and results, maybe it's down to Bulut's personality, he comes across as a more genuine and honest person than Morison, more intelligent as well, And can't recall the jist of the criticism aimed towards colwill from Morison, was it more so in a 'Mocking' 'Belittling' style? One thing's for sure, Morison was a grade 1 cock and i can't put it any other way.

Back to Colwill. We can all see his ability, and we can all see his deficiencies, but like you say, if he's on the bench and his contract has been extended then why isn't he getting a real chance? It's a bit boring now in my opinion, get him in, give him the rope in order to succeed or fail at this level. He's 22 soon enough and he broke through close on three years ago. Bulut obviously doesn't trust him, but this is doing nothing for Colwill as a person or a footballer. If he hasn't established himself by the end of this season then he really needs to go somewhere else.
    This I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    How do you know he's dramatically better than league 2?

I'm not saying he isn't but he has only ever played consistently at development level. From what I've seen and the lack of trust 3 or 4 managers have given him I have no idea where he will end up.

He's not a baby anymore and he needs to be playing, wherever that may be.
    I’ve seen enough in the limited game time he has had in 3 years to firmly believe he is way better than level 4. I don’t believe anyone really thinks he is? Surely the real quality coach is the one who finds the best in him and nurtures it into performances, not ignores him and continuously tells him off publicly. And why oh why do so many focus on the things he can’t do rather than the things he can. Don’t seem to apply the same to wintle and others…

Not many people condemned Alnwick yesterday...and rightly so...it happens and he has been very good this season.
    Interesting to see how many faux pas have been committed by keepers in today's games.....it's this obsession with playing out from the back...why? It doe snot seem to produce much advantage to me....usually ends up in a triangle..back to the keeper who boots up field when under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Not many people condemned Alnwick yesterday...and rightly so...it happens and he has been very good this season.
    Interesting to see how many faux pas have been committed by keepers in today's games.....it's this obsession with playing out from the back...why? It doe snot seem to produce much advantage to me....usually ends up in a triangle..back to the keeper who boots up field when under pressure.
    Bulut talked about this yesterday. He felt we passed back to the keeper too much, and he prefers to use the keeper to change the direction of the play. We’ve seen Alnwick do this quite well recently I’d say, hitting diagonal balls out to the winger or full back.

Arsenal v Man City...eight passes from Arsenal...then back to keeper...

It was frustrating as the NG back pass was the one that could have easily gone in, poor back pass from NG. Nothing wrong with McGuinesses pass to Alnick, plenty of time and space just an horrendous touch from Alnick.

Arsenal v Man City...eight passes from Arsenal...then back to keeper...
    How did they get on?