+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mechanics opinion required please

Mechanics opinion required please

My son, is close to buying a new car. We’ve driven around South Wales & Brizzle today and one car stands out versus the rest, visually, drive wise, mileage and option levels. We are on the cusp of buying it, so I thought I’d look at the MOT history, which is all green since 1st MOT in 2017.

However, it’s got a bunch of advisories as follows:
    front rad support corroded cant fully see due to under tray fitted
    all four shockers corroded
    rear axle corroded
    all four coil springs corroded
    front shocker dust covers split

It’s a 2014 Renault.

I’d appreciate constructive feedback. Thanks.

Re: Mechanics opinion required please

Never buy a French car. That's just plain common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Never buy a French car. That's just plain common sense.
    Oh and besides that, it sounds ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My son, is close to buying a new car. We’ve driven around South Wales & Brizzle today and one car stands out versus the rest, visually, drive wise, mileage and option levels. We are on the cusp of buying it, so I thought I’d look at the MOT history, which is all green since 1st MOT in 2017.

However, it’s got a bunch of advisories as follows:
    front rad support corroded cant fully see due to under tray fitted
    all four shockers corroded
    rear axle corroded
    all four coil springs corroded
    front shocker dust covers split

It’s a 2014 Renault.

I’d appreciate constructive feedback. Thanks.
    I have usually bought second hand cars from PW Millar in Barry

You pay a few hundred on top of a private sale to buy of these types but they are in my opinion better than most

If you’ve driven around south wales and Bristol looking at cars all day and the front runner you’ve come back with is a rust bucket, it makes me wonder if you did it blindfolded

I’d second don’t buy a French car as I’ve recently once again made that mistake, but this sounds like a particularly shit one

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    If you’ve driven around south wales and Bristol looking at cars all day and the front runner you’ve come back with is a rust bucket, it makes me wonder if you did it blindfolded

I’d second don’t buy a French car as I’ve recently once again made that mistake, but this sounds like a particularly shit one
    I'd third the French car advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'd third the French car advice.
    Everyone says dont buy a french car. They are allegedly better designed - but lack in quality and reliability. Having said that - the car enthusiast over the road buys nothing but french cars - mainly the old classic ones though. Ive dabbled in French - found them ok - mine was 6 years old - 2017. Loved it - but since gone back to an Astra.

The car you have seen sounds like a money pit. Second hand car sales at the moment are stupid prices - and if you can avoid buying a car - I would - at least until prices come down. always check the MOT history, always pay for a professional opinion - it's worth the extra - even the RAC check. There are more cowboys out there than in a john wayne western