+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354
Results 1,326 to 1,335 of 1335

Thread: 40 Killed In Hamas Attacks In Israel

Re: 40 Killed In Hamas Attacks In Israel

All kicking off at some of the elite US Universities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...anada-68898923

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    All kicking off at some of the elite US Universities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...anada-68898923
    And some of the non-elite US universities.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    And some of the non-elite US universities.
    I sure. The last video I saw, where one pleasant student was screaming "we are Hamas" was at Columbia though I think

I sure. The last video I saw, where one pleasant student was screaming "we are Hamas" was at Columbia though I think
    I'm sure there are plenty of extreme comments coming from all sides.

But the overwhelming impression I get from the US college camps is a mainly peaceful and orderly demand for ceasefire, disinvestment, and not arming Israel to carry out genocide.

I have also seen a lot of Jewish students and academics taking part in the protests - although it is presented as intimidated Jewish students on one side and a mob of Hamas groupies on the other. The lies and misinformation from large parts of the press, from the US Republicans, the Biden loyalist Democrats, and that exemplar of truth and integrity (not), Netanyahu, are stinking out the story.

The protests are spreading - now over 40 campuses.

Good.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...llege-campuses

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm sure there are plenty of extreme comments coming from all sides.

But the overwhelming impression I get from the US college camps is a mainly peaceful and orderly demand for ceasefire, disinvestment, and not arming Israel to carry out genocide.

I have also seen a lot of Jewish students and academics taking part in the protests - although it is presented as intimidated Jewish students on one side and a mob of Hamas groupies on the other. The lies and misinformation from large parts of the press, from the US Republicans, the Biden loyalist Democrats, and that exemplar of truth and integrity (not), Netanyahu, are stinking out the story.

The protests are spreading - now over 40 campuses.

Good.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...llege-campuses
    The woman who organised the pro Palestinian sit in at Columbia University said Zionists don't deserve to live and we should "Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”

Honestly, it's not hard to see why the Police have moved in on these extremists or why many don't feel safe is it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/n...t-zionism.html

The woman who organised the pro Palestinian sit in at Columbia University said Zionists don't deserve to live and we should "Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”

Honestly, it's not hard to see why the Police have moved in on these extremists or why many don't feel safe is it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/n...t-zionism.html
    The woman is a man according to the article you linked - who has since retracted his comments:

Early Friday morning, Mr. James posted a statement on social media addressing his comments. “What I said was wrong,” he wrote. “Every member of our community deserves to feel safe without qualification.” He noted that he made these comments in January before he become involved with the protest movement and added that the leaders of the student protests did not condone the comments. “I agree with their assessment,” he wrote.

The comments made online and in the hearing are outrageous - although his extreme hostile references to Zionism are yet again by the NYT translated into 'anti semitism'.

That is a continuous problem of intent and definition. Anti Zionism is not anti semitism. Many hundreds of thousands of Jewish people are anti Zionist - they are not anti semitic. Many hundreds of thousands of people are supporters of Zionism whilst at the same time being very anti semitic! False claims of anti semitism are almost never challenged or interrogated by the western media - and the liberal media has been as bad as the right until the last few months.

But whilst neither of us are experts here I have watched a lot of online social media coverage of the college protests, and a lot of broadcast media coverage (especially interviews). My strong impression is as I said above. It is mainly a peaceful protest focussed on a Gaza ceasefire, ending the arms supply to the Israeli Occupation Forces, and calling on universities to cut their ties to institutions and companies that promote or profit from genocide.

This example you have highlighted seems to be an extreme outlier - the exception that proves the rule.

It is good news that the clumsy (and often racist) attempts to suppress the protests are so far backfiring - leading to more colleges and universities starting their own protests, and to mounting electoral threat to Genocide Joe. The republicans and the Netanyahu fan club are doing what they always do.

Well he or she is unclear. Their twitter bio reads:

"20. Anti-capitalist. Anti-imperialist. Student and Educator, supporting and teaching liberation everywhere FREE PALESTINE" So I guess their gender is undefined.

Nonetheless, talking of murder and killing and now I see they have posted a response to video showing little remorse and of course blaming the "far right".

They sound like an absolute extremist and if they are leading one of the rallies it does make many people wonder wtf is going on.

I went to three marches against the Iraq war. The big one in London and two in Cardiff. I wouldn't touch these kind of ones at US universities with a barge pole. They don't strike me as being about peace at all and it has to be said seem hugely different from those we have routinely seen in London too, which aren't without their issues but this is something else.

Nancuy Pelosi:

"Pelosi urges Gaza campus protesters to target Hamas as well as Israel"

I think this is the biggest thing for me since the protests started really

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68909910

In the post Palestine march rally in Hyde Park this afternoon Juliet Stevenson, the actor, paid tribute to Refaat Alareer, the Palestinain poet and academic (the Voice of Gaza) killed with members of his family in an Israeli airstike on Gaza City in December.

She read his most famous poem, addressed to his daughter, just before he was murdered by the IDF:

“IF I MUST DIE” - REFAAT ALAREER

If I must die,

you must live

to tell my story

to sell my things

to buy a piece of cloth

and some strings,

(make it white with a long tail)

so that a child, somewhere in Gaza

while looking heaven in the eye

awaiting his dad who left in a blaze—

and bid no one farewell

not even to his flesh

not even to himself—

sees the kite, my kite you made, flying up above

and thinks for a moment an angel is there

bringing back love

If I must die

let it bring hope

let it be a tale

Yesterday his daughter, her husband, and their new born baby were killed in an Israeli airstrike!

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20...trike-in-gaza/