Re: Water bills

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce55vp78n40o

How is everyone feeling about this?
    That privatisation has left the country in the toilet with no flush

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yet the water companies ( and other utilities) are paying record dividends to their shareholders.

It’s strange that the regulators just keep allowing this to happen ……

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Yet the water companies ( and other utilities) are paying record dividends to their shareholders.

It’s strange that the regulators just keep allowing this to happen ……
    I do worry when I see the regulators at a select committee trying to explain everything away as a work in progress, you have been around for a while guys.

There must be a whole bunch of junior staff who join these regulators with the noble intention of holding firms to account and impacting the consumer positively and then you hear the media trained quasi politician plonker in charge and it's no surprise they achieve next to nothing.

Privatisation is such a good 'jobs for the boys' program though. 20+ water companies, all of them that I have looked up (albeit only 3) went to a fee paying school. If they were heading up a nationalised water system, they would have top-down pay restraint placed upon them from the government limiting them to earning 150/200k. You go from one job for the boys paying 200k, to 20+ paying 1-3 million each delivering the same service.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Privatisation is such a good 'jobs for the boys' program though. 20+ water companies, all of them that I have looked up (albeit only 3) went to a fee paying school. If they were heading up a nationalised water system, they would have top-down pay restraint placed upon them from the government limiting them to earning 150/200k. You go from one job for the boys paying 200k, to 20+ paying 1-3 million each delivering the same service.
    The people who voted Conservative but now moan about high water and energy prices can kiss my arse

The people who voted Conservative but now moan about high water and energy prices can kiss my arse
    Ridiculous statement

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Ridiculous statement
    Yes of course it was a ridiculous statement....

Welsh Water is not nationalised - it is run as a not for profit. It is not owned by UK or Welsh Gov thank fuc k.
    It has a core business organisation - and EVERYTHING else is contracted out to private companies (shock horror!!). The beauty is - Welsh avoid having to employ these people (more shock...), if these companies do a bad job - their contract is not renewed. A not for profit organisation operating exactly like a private enterprise - just without the share holders.

Dont be fooled into thinking Welsh Water is nationalised - it isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Ridiculous statement
    I don't care if you think it's a ridiculous statement

We were told that privatisation would lead to higher prices and poorer services

And that the initial,cost of reducing costs to the taxpayer would be met by the customer

And that's exactly what's happened

You are guilty but not me

I didn't vote for it

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Yes of course it was a ridiculous statement....

Welsh Water is not nationalised - it is run as a not for profit. It is not owned by UK or Welsh Gov thank fuc k.
    It has a core business organisation - and EVERYTHING else is contracted out to private companies (shock horror!!). The beauty is - Welsh avoid having to employ these people (more shock...), if these companies do a bad job - their contract is not renewed. A not for profit organisation operating exactly like a private enterprise - just without the share holders.

Dont be fooled into thinking Welsh Water is nationalised - it isnt.
    So it's a private enterprise then providing a public service

Well what a surprise that's a screw up too

Thatcher would have supported that

Not me , I didn't vote for it