+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Merthyr Town

Merthyr Town

My son (who lives in Aberfan) and I are going to see Merthyr Town v Plymouth Parkway on Saturday. I'll be getting the T4 bus up from Cardiff.
    Any tips for where to go for beer and food before the game?

What's Penydarren Park like?

Re: Merthyr Town

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    My son (who lives in Aberfan) and I are going to see Merthyr Town v Plymouth Parkway on Saturday. I'll be getting the T4 bus up from Cardiff.
    Any tips for where to go for beer and food before the game?

What's Penydarren Park like?
    The Crown isnt far from the bus stop, they do nice food and a good selection of expensive european lagers. Not cheap though. Fair way from the ground too.

Save your money and have the world famous curry and chips in a cob in Penydarren Park.

Theres two indoor bars at the ground and a can bar on the terrace. If you do want a drink before heading up the ground go to the Iron Dragon. They have live football and a good selection of alcholic beverages. No food there though.

Penydarren Park is a fantastic little ground, but I am biased of course. You'll get a drink and a welcome at the ground, they are very welcoming bunch the Merthyr Town supporters and they take pride in fans from other clubs coming to visit. I was chatting to a Newport Countyh fan up for a game a few weeks ago and loads of Cardiff and Swansea fans go to watch these days. Not just Merthyr based from all over the valleys.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The Crown isnt far from the bus stop, they do nice food and a good selection of expensive european lagers. Not cheap though. Fair way from the ground too.

Save your money and have the world famous curry and chips in a cob in Penydarren Park.

Theres two indoor bars at the ground and a can bar on the terrace. If you do want a drink before heading up the ground go to the Iron Dragon. They have live football and a good selection of alcholic beverages. No food there though.

Penydarren Park is a fantastic little ground, but I am biased of course. You'll get a drink and a welcome at the ground, they are very welcoming bunch the Merthyr Town supporters and they take pride in fans from other clubs coming to visit. I was chatting to a Newport Countyh fan up for a game a few weeks ago and loads of Cardiff and Swansea fans go to watch these days. Not just Merthyr based from all over the valleys.

I’ve met some decent people up in Merthyr over the years including a loyal female City fan who went everywhere

Anyone remember Ruby ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I’ve met some decent people up in Merthyr over the years including a loyal female City fan who went everywhere

Anyone remember Ruby ?
    Ruby before my time but ive heard the stories.

Last saw him in Liege

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Last saw him in Liege
    He turned up in Merthyr a few Christmas's back (over 10 years ago). Used to see him on Wales away

I knew Rob as a kid as our families used to bother with each other. His scrawl of 'Ruby CCFC' on the Ritzy in Queen Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    He turned up in Merthyr a few Christmas's back (over 10 years ago). Used to see him on Wales away

I knew Rob as a kid as our families used to bother with each other. His scrawl of 'Ruby CCFC' on the Ritzy in Queen Street.
    A great character

That was a good day out, proper football.
    T4 bus to Merthyr, free because I'm old. A pint in Weatherspoons and then another in Ale Mary, a new bar that's only been open a week
    A short walk to Penydarren Park, pay on the gate, cash or card.
    A bar in the grandstand without long queues and a stroll around to the opposite side to stand on the terrace in the sun with a beer.
    Sausage, chips and gravy then another pint at half time.

Finished 1-1. Merthyr are now second and Plymouth fourth from bottom but you wouldn't know from watching them today.

If they are home in the next international break I may well go back.

That was a good day out, proper football.
    T4 bus to Merthyr, free because I'm old. A pint in Weatherspoons and then another in Ale Mary, a new bar that's only been open a week
    A short walk to Penydarren Park, pay on the gate, cash or card.
    A bar in the grandstand without long queues and a stroll around to the opposite side to stand on the terrace in the sun with a beer.
    Sausage, chips and gravy then another pint at half time.

Finished 1-1. Merthyr are now second and Plymouth fourth from bottom but you wouldn't know from watching them today.

If they are home in the next international break I may well go back.
    Sounds a perfect day Richard......as things used to be many years ago....

Merthyr were poor today. Too many players playing out of position. Keeper kept them in it first half with some great saves, then dropped a right bollock for their equaliser by charging out the box, not the first or second time that’s happened this season.

Few beers on the terrace behind the goal in the sunshine can’t beat it. The football is secondary.

Merthyr were poor today. Too many players playing out of position. Keeper kept them in it first half with some great saves, then dropped a right bollock for their equaliser by charging out the box, not the first or second time that’s happened this season.

Few beers on the terrace behind the goal in the sunshine can’t beat it. The football is secondary.
    What sort of crowd did they get today ?

I am fortunate to have a few non-league teams ( I guess similar standard ) close to me, I know that Salisbury and supermarine are in the same league as Merthyr, the others are in the league below Southern L 1 , I know guys who play and coach for a few of them, they are always a good afternoon out and its a nice local feel, have a few drinks, watch some football go home

The only thing I feel it lacks and its my issue, I dont really care if they win, lose or draw, in the Southern L1, I have 4 teams within 1/2 hour from me, while I might pop along and enjoy the afternoon, the result means nothing to me ( yes I want the team to win, due to me knowing a player or coach, but honestly, I couldnt really care ) I guess the sensible thing would be to pick a team and they would be my local NL team

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    680 I think
    Maybe 50 or so from Plymouth

About 700. Poor crowd by this seasons standards especially as quite a few local Merthyr league games were postponed.

Does he always spend so much time out of the penalty area? Right from the start he seemed to be a long way out.

680 I think
    Maybe 50 or so from Plymouth
    Cheers

About 700. Poor crowd by this seasons standards especially as quite a few local Merthyr league games were postponed.
    I am sure a few were getting leathered for the rugby

Our crowds drop away if there's a clash

If Merthyr are getting a crowd of around 1000 when doing OK that's not to be scorned at

Does he always spend so much time out of the penalty area? Right from the start he seemed to be a long way out.
    Yes, that’s the third or fourth goal he’s cost at home this season charging out of his box. He could have been caught out first half but got away with it.

I am sure a few were getting leathered for the rugby

Our crowds drop away if there's a clash

If Merthyr are getting a crowd of around 1000 when doing OK that's not to be scorned at
    Absolutely. Crowds were 3-400 pre pandemic.

Absolutely. Crowds were 3-400 pre pandemic.
    What's the price on the gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What's the price on the gate?
    12 quid but only 9 if you show your EFL season ticket. I didn’t go today but I generally pay full regardless as every pound counts. Really enjoy my days out there and as a few have said it’s a bit like going back in time and I just get a good feeling being there. Tv football just doesn’t do it for me. It’s a sport to watch live and be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    12 quid but only 9 if you show your EFL season ticket. I didn’t go today but I generally pay full regardless as every pound counts. Really enjoy my days out there and as a few have said it’s a bit like going back in time and I just get a good feeling being there. Tv football just doesn’t do it for me. It’s a sport to watch live and be there.
    I paid £12. I didn't read the notice properly. I think I stopped when I got to the bit that said you have to be 65 to get an age concession (I'm only 62).

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Yeah, sounds like a good day out. I've been promising to go up and take in a game for a while