+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Re: Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Panteg Hospital Pontypool.Lived in Cwmbran and Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Born in Colwinstone Street,
    went to my first game in 61. Went first with my Dad and later with my mates and loved it. Walked to the games and walked home. Walking down Llandaff road as the crowd got thicker and thicker until everyone was filling the road and traffic couldn't pass. The same coming out at the end, an amazing feeling of belonging to something much bigger than myself.
    Since i left home at 17 I have travelled extensively but always end upcoming home, and always looked for the 'City' results wherever I was. now living in Llandaff. My older sister still lived in the house in Gabalfa we lived in since 1961.
    Slightly off-topic - Colwinstone street, what a long walk that was, from Station Road to College Road!
    Maybe it was just my small legs as a kid back then?
    If you were really energetic, you could try tackling Colwinstone street AND Aberporth road at the same time!

Cardiff. Grew up in the Democratic People's Republic of Caerau. Moved to Nottingham for a bit then back to Cardiff

Born at home in Tudor Road, no family connections watching City. I have vague memories of watching City against Stoke before 1960, first away match was at Southport in the cup around 1966ish.
    Last edited by cantonboy; 17-10-23 at 10:34. Reason: Wrong button

Speaking to a lady in the dentists reception as she was waiting for her hubby

She was a Cardiff fan from a Cardiff supporting family from llangwynoed , Maesteg

She told me she was originally from Bryn on the way to Port Talbot and her husband , his family were from Port Talbot and Cardiff fans

She says there's always been a lot of support for Cardiff in that part of the world and of course there is a famous City pub up there , The Crown

The Vivian Hotel near the station in Port Talbot used to be a meeting place together with The Taps sort of Margam ish way

I think the Vivian is shut these days though

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Caerphilly.

Another way of looking at it is "are there any factors in someone not becoming a city fan from outside Cardiff that could be addressed"
    I think the key to it is live football. Most kids experience football via the TV. It's not that surprising therefore that they choose to follow one of the big teams. If we can get them to a few City games then I find it hard to believe they would want to get their fix via the small screen from then on.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Speaking to a lady in the dentists reception as she was waiting for her hubby

She was a Cardiff fan from a Cardiff supporting family from llangwynoed , Maesteg

She told me she was originally from Bryn on the way to Port Talbot and her husband , his family were from Port Talbot and Cardiff fans

She says there's always been a lot of support for Cardiff in that part of the world and of course there is a famous City pub up there , The Crown

The Vivian Hotel near the station in Port Talbot used to be a meeting place together with The Taps sort of Margam ish way

I think the Vivian is shut these days though
    Back in the day, 3-4 coach loads used to go from Maesteg to Cardiff games.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysFeelinBlue View Post
    That's interesting!? How did you decide to support cardiff? In London many teams you could've picked (not taking the p8ss, genuine question!)
    First game I was taken too was a City one and for reasons unknown i was hooked .
    Subsequently and by pure coincidence my family then had direct involvement both internally and externally with the club which cemented my addiction,.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave St View Post
    Places like Bryn and Cymmer are just over the hill really from that evil place but yes it's always had good support

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    First game I was taken too was a City one and for reasons unknown i was hooked .
    Subsequently and by pure coincidence my family then had direct involvement both internally and externally with the club which cemented my addiction,.
    You are from Llantwit aren't you ?

AKA Cardiff City By The Sea

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You are from Llantwit aren't you ?

AKA Cardiff City By The Sea
    I moved there as a teenager , left in my early 20's and am in the process of retiring and moving back.

From Llantwit Major originally although don't live there these days.

I was born in my Nan's house in Grangetown, and I walk past it on the way to the ground. So Cardiff born, moved to Penarth aged 5, and then back to Cardiff aged 21, and been here ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave St View Post
    There’s 2 buses that still go home and away llynfi valley and maesteg bluebirds, albeit after a split, they were originally 1 club I believe

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Slightly off-topic - Colwinstone street, what a long walk that was, from Station Road to College Road!
    Maybe it was just my small legs as a kid back then?
    If you were really energetic, you could try tackling Colwinstone street AND Aberporth road at the same time!
    It was when I was 10, but I was with Dad so I'd have walked all day. As a teen went with my mates and always ducked in the butchers on the way home knowing we'd get served because it was rammed.
    Route was simple, cow and Snuffers Bridge road, Cardiff Road, Llandaff road and by then you were in the crowd and that was as good as being in the grange end lol. Same coming out

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    There’s 2 buses that still go home and away llynfi valley and maesteg bluebirds, albeit after a split, they were originally 1 club I believe
    As in life of Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I moved there as a teenager , left in my early 20's and am in the process of retiring and moving back.
    Well there are loads of Cardiff City fans in Llantwit waiting for you