+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Smile Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Okay, so checking the 'a question about improving support' thread, I see there is some debate about fans living in Cardiff vs surrounding areas/ valleys of South Wales.

Cardiff has always been known as having a big following in the South Wales valleys, probably originally first stemming from the mining history and them stemming to 'my father supports city so I do as well" etc.

Do 'the majority' of Cardiff fans live in the city centre and the outskirts? or further afield?

Myself, personally, I never liked football growing up, then in 2011 one of my mates said we could get tickets to Cardiff Vs Peterborough for £1 so I went 'for a laugh' (loved it!), went a few times then until last year I went to a game and got the buzz so have had a season ticket for the last 2 years. I live 30 miles away.

This is not to spur any arguments or anything, just curious of where most City fans are from!

Re: Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysFeelinBlue View Post
    Okay, so checking the 'a question about improving support' thread, I see there is some debate about fans living in Cardiff vs surrounding areas/ valleys of South Wales.

Cardiff has always been known as having a big following in the South Wales valleys, probably originally first stemming from the mining history and them stemming to 'my father supports city so I do as well" etc.

Do 'the majority' of Cardiff fans live in the city centre and the outskirts? or further afield?

Myself, personally, I never liked football growing up, then in 2011 one of my mates said we could get tickets to Cardiff Vs Peterborough for £1 so I went 'for a laugh' (loved it!), went a few times then until last year I went to a game and got the buzz so have had a season ticket for the last 2 years. I live 30 miles away.

This is not to spur any arguments or anything, just curious of where most City fans are from!
    I'm from Cardiff. There will be an argument over this subject, there always is

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Nothing wrong with either! We all support the same team :)

St Davids Hospital born me.
    Never lived more than 3 miles from the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    St Davids Hospital born me.
    Never lived more than 3 miles from the ground.
    Also born in St Davids hospital, lived in Cardiff until I bought my own place, now live in Barry.

Born in the miners hospital lived in Ystrad Mynach til 3 Sully til 8 Isle of Man til 18 Manchester til 24 Kent til 26 and Stockport til 52 present day. Been to well over 100 different stadia watching the city still don't know why!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Also born in St Davids hospital, lived in Cardiff until I bought my own place, now live in Barry.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Born in the miners hospital lived in Ystrad Mynach til 3 Sully til 8 Isle of Man til 18 Manchester til 24 Kent til 26 and Stockport til 52 present day. Been to well over 100 different stadia watching the city still don't know why!!
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysFeelinBlue View Post

From the valleys and for me, my parents weren’t into football so nothing to do with that. More that city were the most local team in a ‘proper’ league. Not many people in school supported them then, I think that’s improved a bit over recent years.

If I was to choose again I think I’d go for someone like Merthyr, too late now of course

Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    From the valleys and for me, my parents weren’t into football so nothing to do with that. More that city were the most local team in a ‘proper’ league. Not many people in school supported them then, I think that’s improved a bit over recent years.

If I was to choose again I think I’d go for someone like Merthyr, too late now of course
    Same I think! Though my nearest team are Hereford, I love going to the city because we're Welsh which I think is a big thing for me

👍

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    no you're not

First Team

Not from Cardiff or even Wales.
    Born in East London and went to school, quite literally, in the shadow of the Spurs ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Not from Cardiff or even Wales.
    Born in East London and went to school, quite literally, in the shadow of the Spurs ground.
    That's interesting!? How did you decide to support cardiff? In London many teams you could've picked (not taking the p8ss, genuine question!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    no you're not
    Peoples republic of Ely?

Born St Davids

Lived in Ely until 18/19 years old

Brief spells in Roath and Llanederyn

Llantwit Fardre for 7 years before the last 26 years in Creigiau.

Cardiff the only club for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Born St Davids

Lived in Ely until 18/19 years old

Brief spells in Roath and Llanederyn

Llantwit Fardre for 7 years before the last 26 years in Creigiau.

Cardiff the only club for me.
    What Part of llanedeyrn Mike?

In my experience, north Cardiff is where support is probablg greatest. That and the far west like Ely and Caerau and the far East like Llanrumney and St Mellon's. Much of the centre is less densely people from Cardiff.

I know City are big in the valleys. Are we bigger in some towns than others? Historically I imagine we are bigger in the ones with train stations? And presumably less big in Ebbw Vale, Pontypool etc as they typically feed into Newport?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In my experience, north Cardiff is where support is probablg greatest. That and the far west like Ely and Caerau and the far East like Llanrumney and St Mellon's. Much of the centre is less densely people from Cardiff.

I know City are big in the valleys. Are we bigger in some towns than others? Historically I imagine we are bigger in the ones with train stations? And presumably less big in Ebbw Vale, Pontypool etc as they typically feed into Newport?
    From my opinion, (and I could be wrong) alot of city fans in that area, from the blokes I know in work around Ebbw area, they either support city or man utd 😂, when i get the train by mine, no one gets off at Newport (for the football anyway) Cardiff are massive (😂😂)

Born in Neath

Taken first when i was 6 to Cardiff City by my old man's mate we knew as uncle mick who owned a fruit and veg stall in neath market

Lived in Manchester , Leeds , Bradford and Oxford but never watched any other team other than Cardiff . Got to know lots of Exiled City fans up north from Aberdare , Merthyr , Bridgend , Bargoed etc

Bridgend here - would say a huge chunk of match going supporters are from Bridgend and the surrounding areas - Pencoed / Porthcawl / Pyle etc..

Few years back when I used to do away supporters buses it seemed we would fill a bus or two up from Bridgend alone.
    Last edited by chris lee; 15-10-23 at 21:22. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Born in Neath

Taken first when i was 6 to Cardiff City by my old man's mate we knew as uncle mick who owned a fruit and veg stall in neath market

Lived in Manchester , Leeds , Bradford and Oxford but never watched any other team other than Cardiff . Got to know lots of Exiled City fans up north from Aberdare , Merthyr , Bridgend , Bargoed etc

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Bridgend here - would say a huge chunk of match going supporters are from Bridgend and the surrounding areas - Pencoed / Porthcawl / Pyle etc..

Few years back when I used to do away supporters buses it seemed we would fill a bus or two up from Bridgend alone.
    That's very true

In the days Mike lambert and Mike Pearce ran the supporters club we would have a coach from Bridgend , one for the valleys and then they would be filled up at barry , ninian Park