+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Re: Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Born and grew up in the Vale, about 3 miles from NP.

Lived in England longer than Wales now, but never had any interest in any other club.

Born and lived in the Gwent valleys for 60 years of my life until moving to Hay-on-Wye a few years ago. Started supporting City after going to a game with some mates who used to get the bus that ran at that time. Been going ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Born in Abergavenny, grew up in Herefordshire for a period then mainly just north of Ebbw Vale.

Lived in various parts of Cardiff for a decade give or take, the closest within a mile or so of the ground. Have lived in various places in London since for nearly a decade, currently Walthamstow.
    Garnlydan? Rassau?

I was born in Ebbw Vale, lived a few years in Garnlydan, moved to Risca aged 9. Wasn't interested in football until I went to my first City match aged 16 - hooked!
    Jones Bus used to run specials in those days, picking up down the valley and going straight to NP.
    Did my college in Stafford, a brief spell of work in Edinburgh, then 10 years in London before moving to East Cardiff.
    My boys were born in London, had a spell of following ManU (most of their friends did, despite living in Leyton (walking distance to Orient) between WHU and Spurs/Arsenal. Saw the light when I took them to a Cardiff game, now we're all ST holders.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Garnlydan? Rassau?

My boys were born in London, had a spell of following ManU (most of their friends did, despite living in Leyton (walking distance to Orient) between WHU and Spurs/Arsenal. Saw the light when I took them to a Cardiff game, now we're all ST holders.
    Rassau/Beaufort.

I live near Leyton now strangely. Been to Brisbane Road a couple times a season since moving here. Respect to their fan base with three big clubs on their doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Born in Cardiff (Northlands Maternity Home).

Lived in Roath for a few years.

Bred in England (Shrewsbury and north Cheshire)
    Born in Northlands also

Brought up in Whitchurch

Never moved away from Cardiff

Merthyr born and bred. Supported the City from the age of 15 - that was a long time ago - though saw my first game when I was 12. In the late 60s and early 70s got to know some great guys from further down the Valley as well as from Aberdare and Tredegar. Lost touch with almost all of them except one whom I still meet for a pre-match pint in the Butchers and a couple of others I see at the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Rassau/Beaufort.

I live near Leyton now strangely. Been to Brisbane Road a couple times a season since moving here. Respect to their fan base with three big clubs on their doorstep.
    I only went to a couple of games when I was there.
    Saw Orient lose 0-3 to Newcastle, and 3-7 to Chelsea. Weird game that was.

Born Infirmary - 'Glossop Terrace'. Travelled far and wide but Cardiff has always been my home. I am the 3rd generation following City, my grandfather watched them in the old southern league. Son is City fan but has moved away and grandson will become the 6th generation - at least when he's old enough and visits his ancient grandparents..

Born in Newport, grew up in Blackwood and Newport. Somerset now.

International

Cardiff all my life, mostly North Cardiff, bar my first house which was a brief seven months in Pentwyn in a new build, that was fun!

Pontypridd (Graig) boy.
    Moved down West many moons ago.

Pontypridd

Born in Bridgend General, my dad took me to my first City game in 68/69. Still live in Bridgend. As a kid also supported Bridgend FC as they played just beyond my back garden when they played at the Coychurch Road ground.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Born in Bridgend General, my dad took me to my first City game in 68/69. Still live in Bridgend. As a kid also supported Bridgend FC as they played just beyond my back garden when they played at the Coychurch Road ground.
    I remember watching them as Everwarm lol ......the sponsors

Mind you I was only a kid

International

Born in Colwinstone Street,
    went to my first game in 61. Went first with my Dad and later with my mates and loved it. Walked to the games and walked home. Walking down Llandaff road as the crowd got thicker and thicker until everyone was filling the road and traffic couldn't pass. The same coming out at the end, an amazing feeling of belonging to something much bigger than myself.
    Since i left home at 17 I have travelled extensively but always end upcoming home, and always looked for the 'City' results wherever I was. now living in Llandaff. My older sister still lived in the house in Gabalfa we lived in since 1961.

Caerphilly.

Another way of looking at it is "are there any factors in someone not becoming a city fan from outside Cardiff that could be addressed"

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I remember watching them as Everwarm lol ......the sponsors

Mind you I was only a kid
    Yes, their logo was a cartoon bear jogging. There were 4 6ft wooden cut outs of the bear, at each corner of the pitch which used to piss everyone off. My mate and I went there one night undercover of darkness, and sawed two of them down and put them in a bus shelter in town.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Yes, their logo was a cartoon bear jogging. There were 4 6ft wooden cut outs of the bear, at each corner of the pitch which used to piss everyone off. My mate and I went there one night undercover of darkness, and sawed two of them down and put them in a bus shelter in town.
    It was for the best

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysFeelinBlue View Post
    Okay, so checking the 'a question about improving support' thread, I see there is some debate about fans living in Cardiff vs surrounding areas/ valleys of South Wales.

Cardiff has always been known as having a big following in the South Wales valleys, probably originally first stemming from the mining history and them stemming to 'my father supports city so I do as well" etc.

Do 'the majority' of Cardiff fans live in the city centre and the outskirts? or further afield?

Myself, personally, I never liked football growing up, then in 2011 one of my mates said we could get tickets to Cardiff Vs Peterborough for £1 so I went 'for a laugh' (loved it!), went a few times then until last year I went to a game and got the buzz so have had a season ticket for the last 2 years. I live 30 miles away.

This is not to spur any arguments or anything, just curious of where most City fans are from!
    Born at St. David’s
    Attended first match in 1962
    Left Wales in 1981
    Still a season ticket holder 000s of miles later.
    Last edited by BLUEAWAY TOO; 16-10-23 at 13:18. Reason: Corrections

Born St Davids christened in St John's Canton.
    Moved to the top of Ely when I was 4 I have lived here for 50 years in my 51st season of following the City since my 1st game.
    Never followed anyone else, my club my City.

Born in Guayaquil Ecuador, moved here at the age of 8. Ecuadorian father took me to watch the City in a European match circa 1992/93 - been the only team I’ve ever supported!!

Grangetown born and bred. Well, born in Heath Hospital but lives in Grange. Supported City since I was a young teen, most kids my age had prem teams growing up. I got into the City as an early teen, never looked back. I think a lot more youngsters support Cardiff nowadays than when I was a kid in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Basset View Post
    Born in Guayaquil Ecuador, moved here at the age of 8. Ecuadorian father took me to watch the City in a European match circa 1992/93 - been the only team I’ve ever supported!!
    Nice one!

I was born in Barry, when my dad was in the RAF. lived on bases in Singapore, then a base near Bourton on the Water and St Athens. Moved to Oakdale, Blackwood at 14. Based in West Germany and Wiltshire in the Army and then moved to Pontllanfraith in 1990 before buying a house in Ebbw Vale in 94.

I first started watching City in 1979 (hence username). First game was Everton in the league cup and first away trip was Chelsea in 1980. I managed most home and away games in my first 3 seasons before moving to England for work. I made regular trips back during my time in England and the army, catching as many games as I could. My last and final game was Swansea at home last season

Barry. Born in Barry. Woodlands road.