+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Inn on the River

Re: The Inn on the River

The Westgate is now a home
    Millers Tavern has been turned into flats
    The Mitre is converted into flats
    Nos Da couldn’t be called a pub but you could enjoy a beer in the outside terrace looking over the river,that’s now shut down
    The Wells has gone
    I’m not sure if the Riverside Cons is still going?
    That only leaves the Rockin’ Chair where Raja’s used to be
    It’s a Jamaican restaurant/bar
    I’ve eaten in there a few times and been to several parties there
    Is the Parachute Club still going?
    The Ninian’s a Chinese Restaurant and the bus drivers club on Tudor Road has shut
    So NO
    There’s no pubs left in Riverside
    There’s also a long list of pubs that have closed down in Grangetown ☹️

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Used to watch bands on a Sunday there, TV eye and original Madassa amongst others. Lots of them switched to playing in the Big Windsor in a Sunday. The band from the top rank used to play along with a few guests, and were brilliant. Used to go to the Dowlais and Casablanca too, the second could be a bit scary at times.

I only ever went in there after a lot of beer. Alcohol fuelled courage used to open a lot of doors

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cardiff band , named after a Caribbean dish
    saw them loads of times. life of riley

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Was in there for the queens silver jubilee

Big Frankie Humphries picked up a very large piece of tree trunk that was being used as seating outside and threw it. It hit me of the boys, we were very drunk and it didn’t seem to have much of an effect until we saw the lad a week later and his back was black and blue where said wood had struck

Ah fond memories. Just glad it wasn’t me on the receiving end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Rice and Peas.
    I was trying to think of some other bands I saw there, Red Hot Pokers spring to mind but that might have been at the Poets Corner in City road, used to go there on occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Does Riverside have my pubs?
    Meant any pubs

See question number 3 in this quiz.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-67090687

Z
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Link doesn’t work on iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Q3 is about a bear when I looked but I assme it's this you are referring to as it seems more relevant, asks which pub has closed the most pubs in a choice of three including London:

"It’s Wales, which saw 52 pubs close in the first six months of 2023. London and the North West lost 46 each. Figures showed that 230 pubs called last orders for the final time in the three months to 30 June - an increase over the previous quarter when 153 shut down. A total of 386 pubs disappeared throughout the whole of 2022. After struggling through Covid the industry is having to deal with soaring running costs and energy bills as well as the Cost-of-Living crisis hitting customers. Campaigners have called for planning laws to change to protect pubs."

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous Angel View Post
    I was friendly with BK for a while and saw Time Out at the Inn one Sunday lunchtime - probably late 80s. I've still got an audio cassette of one of their albums.
    Brian the bass player was a lovely bloke, used to chat to him regularly. Also used to spend a lot of time in PCs at the time. My mate Roger Knight (rip) owned and ran Whatsappening free magazine and I'd often write a live music column. Band Bamboo from Newport were brilliant

I played a couple of times at the Inn on the River, back in the day (80-90s). It was tough to get a decent night in that place, as it was always Red Beens and Rice, the Madassa Soul Band, or Fire Down Below. All fine bands, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I was trying to think of some other bands I saw there, Red Hot Pokers spring to mind but that might have been at the Poets Corner in City road, used to go there on occasions.
    Pub on the mud was a top place for a Sunday afternoon refreshment then on to was it Babs? for further refreshments .You could drink all day if you knew where to frequent.
    I worked in PC,s when i first came to Cardiff , collecting glasses, my little sister was a barmaid . I remember sitting in the cellar supping a bottle of Stella , listening to "My home town " blasting out , feeling quite homesick....

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Brian the bass player was a lovely bloke, used to chat to him regularly. Also used to spend a lot of time in PCs at the time. My mate Roger Knight (rip) owned and ran Whatsappening free magazine and I'd often write a live music column. Band Bamboo from Newport were brilliant
    What was the name of the lady that owned Pcs ? Had an Israeli boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Or the pub on the mud.
    Anyone else on here frequent the place in the 80’s?
    Used to have live music 7 days a week.
    Big Macs Wholly Soul Band were great, but my favourite was The Karrotts. Think they were from Jack Land.
    The Drummer was the lead singer. The keyboard player was an albino, who looked like a robot when he wore a white suit.
    They did a brilliant cover version of Brilliant Mind, by Furniture.
    Went there occasionally on Sundays. Why was it always Sundays?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Or the pub on the mud.
    Anyone else on here frequent the place in the 80’s?
    Used to have live music 7 days a week.
    Big Macs Wholly Soul Band were great, but my favourite was The Karrotts. Think they were from Jack Land.
    The Drummer was the lead singer. The keyboard player was an albino, who looked like a robot when he wore a white suit.
    They did a brilliant cover version of Brilliant Mind, by Furniture.
    Yes many nights ,loved Sunday Jazz , Grangetown was a great place to pub crawl around ,great characters .. you know Wilco ?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Decent place always packed on a Sunday 12 til 2 then all day hours killed the pub trade

Time Out 🎷
    12-2, best drink of the week. Packed pub then home for my mam's dinner at 3!