+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Cardiff east station

new Cardiff east station

on Newport road

first station in the east of the city?Screenshot_2023-10-16-17-00-03-391_com.mi.globalbrowser-edit.jpg

Re: new Cardiff east station

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    on Newport road

first station in the east of the city?Screenshot_2023-10-16-17-00-03-391_com.mi.globalbrowser-edit.jpg
    Any more detailed maps ?

on Newport road

Any more detailed maps ?

It may not be possible due to the task of digging everything out but .....

Suburban train stations in St mellons , llanederyrn , Llanrumney, Roath , splott would be great as these are some of the most densely populated areas of Cardiff

Ely too although I am sure that will be last on the list as per usual

on Newport road

Aren’t places like Heath and Llanishen classed as east Cardiff or are they central? It is really bad though what is definitely seen as east Cardiff does not have a station especially when they could be built pretty easily in some places.

Don't hold your breathe on any of this. It relies on the line looping down from Cardiff Bay, through the docks and up the old freight lines that run by Tremorfa Park etc.

It is of course an excellent idea, and relatively doable, but I suspect it's a decade away if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Aren’t places like Heath and Llanishen classed as east Cardiff or are they central? It is really bad though what is definitely seen as east Cardiff does not have a station especially when they could be built pretty easily in some places.
    I would say that heath and llanishen are north Cardiff, definitely not East.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Don't hold your breathe on any of this. It relies on the line looping down from Cardiff Bay, through the docks and up the old freight lines that run by Tremorfa Park etc.

It is of course an excellent idea, and relatively doable, but I suspect it's a decade away if ever.
    no I think they plan to get this underway relatively quickly (and there's a big difference between a decade and ever!)

not sure about the Cardiff parkway station in st mellons though, that seems to have gone a bit quiet

a station on crwys road is being planned also which will be a nice addition

no I think they plan to get this underway relatively quickly (and there's a big difference between a decade and ever!)

not sure about the Cardiff parkway station in st mellons though, that seems to have gone a bit quiet

Think there's also stations planned for Gabalfa near Mynachdy Community Centre and at Maindy, which makes alot of sense with the university expanding along the ground between Maindy Rd and Column Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Think there's also stations planned for Gabalfa near Mynachdy Community Centre and at Maindy, which makes alot of sense with the university expanding along the ground between Maindy Rd and Column Drive.
    yeah those would both make sense

I would have thought linking llanrhumney and St mellons with the city centre is more important that mostly student areas

They can fogging well walk

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I would have thought linking llanrhumney and St mellons with the city centre is more important that mostly student areas

They can fogging well walk
    the new Cardiff parkway is earmarked for st mellons, although that isn't that conveniently placed for most of st mellons tbh.

llanrumney just isn't anywhere near a train line unfortunately so I doubt that will happen

The link to the east makes perfect sense. It's really important, but unfortunately it doesn't mean it will happen soon.

Cardiff Parkway is also massively important. That's on the mainline so could open far sooner. It's currently with the Welsh Govt who called it in on environmental grounds.

Crwys Rd would be pretty important. Would bring a station to a very densely populated area where currently the nearest one is Cathays.

One is going in by Loudoun Square, which is great for Butetown though I'm not really sure how transformative it will be, as it's only a few hundred metres from the Bay station. Makes it handier for some I guess.

The line connecting Cardiff Bay to the East could be transformative though. Personally I have never looked to live in East Cardiff because of the lack of trains and I'm sure there's many like me in that respect. If you can get into town quickly, it really can change an area.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The link to the east makes perfect sense. It's really important, but unfortunately it doesn't mean it will happen soon.

Cardiff Parkway is also massively important. That's on the mainline so could open far sooner. It's currently with the Welsh Govt who called it in on environmental grounds.

Crwys Rd would be pretty important. Would bring a station to a very densely populated area where currently the nearest one is Cathays.

One is going in by Loudoun Square, which is great for Butetown though I'm not really sure how transformative it will be, as it's only a few hundred metres from the Bay station. Makes it handier for some I guess.

The line connecting Cardiff Bay to the East could be transformative though. Personally I have never looked to live in East Cardiff because of the lack of trains and I'm sure there's many like me in that respect. If you can get into town quickly, it really can change an area.
    i live in the east of the city and a train station has been muted around this area since the 70's ! still waiting

with the new speed limits in place it now takes exactly the same time to get to Newport centre to Cardiff city centre by car if you iive in the east of the city

The main road into Newport is still 50mph and when you get to Newport the same speed limits are the same with the SDR around Newport

and try getting a bus into Cardiff city centre at peak times usually the buses are full by the time they hit rumney hill !

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    i live in the east of the city and a train station has been muted around this area since the 70's ! still waiting

with the new speed limits in place it now takes exactly the same time to get to Newport centre to Cardiff city centre by car if you iive in the east of the city

The main road into Newport is still 50mph and when you get to Newport the same speed limits are the same with the SDR around Newport

and try getting a bus into Cardiff city centre at peak times usually the buses are full by the time they hit rumney hill !
    It surprises me that given how close St Mellons and parts of East Cardiff are to Newport, the cities have not merged due to housing developments

Maybe it's all the marshland and bogs

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It surprises me that given how close St Mellons and parts of East Cardiff are to Newport, the cities have not merged due to housing developments

Maybe it's all the marshland and bogs
    some say it as already merged but the dividing line is Castleton . they have just completed another housing development around st mellons golf club .

i guess the conservationists will hold off certain areas for protection of wild life in the future just like the M4 relief road !

some say it as already merged but the dividing line is Castleton . they have just completed another housing development around st mellons golf club .

i guess the conservationists will hold off certain areas for protection of wild life in the future just like the M4 relief road !
    the only "green belt" in wales is between cardiff and newport, because they don't want them to merge and lose all the marshland

You'll be long in your box underground before this is started if ever!!! Maybe we should transfer one of our stations 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    You'll be long in your box underground before this is started if ever!!! Maybe we should transfer one of our stations ��
    before what is started?

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    You'll be long in your box underground before this is started if ever!!! Maybe we should transfer one of our stations 😂
    I read something along the lines of '..the major stumbling block is where the funding will come from...'

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I read something along the lines of '..the major stumbling block is where the funding will come from...'
    + 20 mph speeding fines, Drakeford master plan

A station at St Mellons was announced decades ago.
    Not a spadeful of earth dug yet.

It all sounds great until people remember or realise that trains are just not reliable.

the only "green belt" in wales is between cardiff and newport, because they don't want them to merge and lose all the marshland
    That's not the only green belt

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    That's not the only green belt
    are you sure?