+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Ever Open Eye FC

The Ever Open Eye FC

Anyone heard of them on here? Would have played in the Cardiff & District leagues in the 1960’s. My Dad played for them and I was reminiscing with some pictures of him playing… made me think some on here may have knowledge of them… think they were pretty successful (but that might’ve just been my Dad telling me stories 😊)
    Love the team name

Re: The Ever Open Eye FC

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Anyone heard of them on here? Would have played in the Cardiff & District leagues in the 1960’s. My Dad played for them and I was reminiscing with some pictures of him playing… made me think some on here may have knowledge of them… think they were pretty successful (but that might’ve just been my Dad telling me stories ��)
    Love the team name
    I played for St Pat's (Grangetown) from the early 60's through to late '70's, a decade or more when the club dominated the Cardiff and District League. My recollection is that different challengers came along for maybe 2 or 3 years at a time and then faded out of the picture. Grange Albion, St Albans, St Mary's (Canton) were among the biggest rivals in that time but I'm sure there were others I've forgotten. The 'EYE' - based in Ely I think - were certainly around during those years and came through to the 'first' division towards the end of my time, most likely in the 70's I'd say.

I don't recall much about them but think they played in black & white quarters? And ask your dad if one of his pals would go by the nickname "shovel" who was a complete nutter

I always thought they were a Grangetown outfit, but I could be wrong. We’ll known in amateur football circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I played for St Pat's (Grangetown) from the early 60's through to late '70's, a decade or more when the club dominated the Cardiff and District League. My recollection is that different challengers came along for maybe 2 or 3 years at a time and then faded out of the picture. Grange Albion, St Albans, St Mary's (Canton) were among the biggest rivals in that time but I'm sure there were others I've forgotten. The 'EYE' - based in Ely I think - were certainly around during those years and came through to the 'first' division towards the end of my time, most likely in the 70's I'd say.

I don't recall much about them but think they played in black & white quarters? And ask your dad if one of his pals would go by the nickname "shovel" who was a complete nutter
    They did play in black & white quarters. Dad lived on Beauchamp St in Riverside so could have been Ely but I think it was more likely Grangetown. I’ve got pictures of him playing at the pitch at the canton end of Sloper Road. I lost him in 2020, but he always talked about his time playing for them. I’m sure if I’d mentioned ‘shovel’ it would have brought a smile to his face.

Thanks for replying

They did play in black & white quarters. Dad lived on Beauchamp St in Riverside so could have been Ely but I think it was more likely Grangetown. I’ve got pictures of him playing at the pitch at the canton end of Sloper Road. I lost him in 2020, but he always talked about his time playing for them. I’m sure if I’d mentioned ‘shovel’ it would have brought a smile to his face.

Thanks for replying
    My Uncle and grandparents lived on Beauchamp St from 50's mid 1980's ( I did for 5 years ) and he played for Ninian Spurs( pats were rivals ) but always mentioned the Ever Open Eye as their pub . I think it might have been in Wellington Street?

I thought they played in the Cardiff Combination League pretty sure when I was playing for Bell Rangers in that league, we played them several times, think their home pitch was Jubilee park

The Ever Open Eye was a motto of the Guards armoured division. I think Mal Lancastle, who ran the team, was an ex Guardsman. They evolved into Ninian Spurs. This was what I was told by Ninian Spurs stalwarts, Gerry ‘Minty’ Palmer, Gerry Rose, Mikey Clark, Philip ‘Choo-Choo’ Sweet, Dave Venables and another well known Canton character always known as Pickle. These lot were involved with the Spurs 50s, 60 + 70s.

Thanks for replying
    ‘Shovel’ was Wayne Lovell, a ‘handful’ of a footballer who unfortunately passed away quite young.

Quote Originally Posted by Random in Duquesa View Post
    My Uncle and grandparents lived on Beauchamp St from 50's mid 1980's ( I did for 5 years ) and he played for Ninian Spurs( pats were rivals ) but always mentioned the Ever Open Eye as their pub . I think it might have been in Wellington Street?
    The house was number 31. My parents spent their early married life living in the converted upstairs flat… I also lived there until the age of 3.. moved out in ‘68.

The house was number 31. My parents spent their early married life living in the converted upstairs flat… I also lived there until the age of 3.. moved out in ‘68.
    I think we were across the road in no.28.
    I moved out in 1964 as a 6 year old for the leafy suburbs of Pentrebane.
    It looks likely your dad would've known my uncle from the street and playing football/ drinking in the same pub.
    Thanks for the info S .Parker i didn't know how they evolved into Ninian Spurs. The trophys he won and kickabouts in the back yard is what got me interested in playing and watching football.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Ever Open Eye was a motto of the Guards armoured division. I think Mal Lancastle, who ran the team, was an ex Guardsman. They evolved into Ninian Spurs. This was what I was told by Ninian Spurs stalwarts, Gerry ‘Minty’ Palmer, Gerry Rose, Mikey Clark, Philip ‘Choo-Choo’ Sweet, Dave Venables and another well known Canton character always known as Pickle. These lot were involved with the Spurs 50s, 60 + 70s.
    I played with Minty for a few years, sharp player. Can't be sure but he either joined the Pats in my later years with them or Taffs Well in the South Wales Amateur League after I went there; I think it was Taffs Well.

‘Shovel’ was Wayne Lovell, a ‘handful’ of a footballer who unfortunately passed away quite young.
    A handful is right - he was guaranteed to lose his rag in a game and then you kept out of his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I played with Minty for a few years, sharp player. Can't be sure but he either joined the Pats in my later years with them or Taffs Well in the South Wales Amateur League after I went there; I think it was Taffs Well.
    Minty moved to Barry, you’re correct he did get involved with Taff’s Well when Percy Batt, who was a Barry boy, was managing them. He got me up there for a season, must have been about 1981ish. Gerry was another who passed too soon.

Minty moved to Barry, you’re correct he did get involved with Taff’s Well when Percy Batt, who was a Barry boy, was managing them. He got me up there for a season, must have been about 1981ish. Gerry was another who passed too soon.
    Oh, sorry to hear that; actually, too many of my former soccer pals have gone on too soon.

I've been living in the States for the past 12 years and only get to hear of family issues nowadays, so thanks for bringing back a few memories with this thread.