Voters In Tamworth Before By Election

https://youtu.be/UKAY97gpnrw?si=a-4sHLxgoZOoWQn1

I am ex forces he says

Probably threw him out with all those tattoos

Problem today is you can't be racist without people calling you racist

Re: Voters In Tamworth Before By Election

Seems a nice bloke

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...chart-31206989

When you think who the former MP was as well, you’d guess they had no chance, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they retain the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Seems a nice bloke

When you think who the former MP was as well, you’d guess they had no chance, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they retain the seat.
    When you have a weak opposition that's always going to be a fair shout

That ex army bloke is an advert for stupidity

Seems a nice bloke

Apparently the Tamworth constituency has an unusually large number of homes worth upwards of £7.5 million. It's a pretty safe bet those votes won't be going to Labour nor probably the Lib Dems. For some people it's not about government competency or otherwise.

Seems a nice bloke

Vox-pop interviews on the street don't usually convey that we have a well-educated and intelligent population.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Apparently the Tamworth constituency has an unusually large number of homes worth upwards of £7.5 million. It's a pretty safe bet those votes won't be going to Labour nor probably the Lib Dems. For some people it's not about government competency or otherwise.
    Not sure where you get that from.

No data for the enormously wealthy, but in 2019, £70,000+ households were the least likely to vote Tory.

Of those groups, 40% voted Tory compared to 51% who voted Labour and Lib Dem.

Given the way polls have changed you can probably expect two thirds of wealthiest households to vote either Labour or Lib Dem i guess.

Scroll to the bottom below..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_United_Kingdom_general_election

Labour pretty steady at 1.3-1.4 (~70% chance) to win Tamworth but that will only really be people taking a stab on internal polling and obviously anything could happen on the day.

Mid Beds looks very frustrating for proponents of tactical voting to remove the Tories. Tories have drifted out to roughly even money to win as internal polling indicates its bloody close but will likely be a ~ 30/30/20 Tory/Lab/Lib split.

Probably most likely outcome seems to be 1 con/1 lab but either could win both, seems more likely that labour win both than the tories.

As for 'weak opposition'...

Tamworth is probably a seat they will need to win for a majority so is a decent signal as to their overall strength but even in 97/01 it was by no means a super safe seat so any win is good

Mid Beds is a seat Labour never win so despite this being a by-election and all the usual things that go along with that, a Tory loss there would be a clear signal to the Tories that Sunak's message is yet to cut through at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Not sure where you get that from.

No data for the enormously wealthy, but in 2019, £70,000+ households were the least likely to vote Tory.

Of those groups, 40% voted Tory compared to 51% who voted Labour and Lib Dem.

Given the way polls have changed you can probably expect two thirds of wealthiest households to vote either Labour or Lib Dem i guess.

Scroll to the bottom below..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019...neral_election
    So potentially 'remainer' votes I guess? Not worth really thinking about as turnout changes so much in by-elections

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Labour pretty steady at 1.3-1.4 (~70% chance) to win Tamworth but that will only really be people taking a stab on internal polling and obviously anything could happen on the day.

Mid Beds looks very frustrating for proponents of tactical voting to remove the Tories. Tories have drifted out to roughly even money to win as internal polling indicates its bloody close but will likely be a ~ 30/30/20 Tory/Lab/Lib split.

Probably most likely outcome seems to be 1 con/1 lab but either could win both, seems more likely that labour win both than the tories.

As for 'weak opposition'...

Tamworth is probably a seat they will need to win for a majority so is a decent signal as to their overall strength but even in 97/01 it was by no means a super safe seat so any win is good

Mid Beds is a seat Labour never win so despite this being a by-election and all the usual things that go along with that, a Tory loss there would be a clear signal to the Tories that Sunak's message is yet to cut through at all.
    The opposition is weak .....2 poor leaders .....and split ....2 parties to vote for

If Labour get an increase of their vote that's no good if the people who could have voted to change the government stick with the liberals and smaller parties

It's always been the problem and always will be

Weak opposition , 2 main opposition parties so vote is split , fptp voting system

If starmer does get in he needs to get PR sorted

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The opposition is weak .....2 poor leaders .....and split ....2 parties to vote for

If Labour get an increase of their vote that's no good if the people who could have voted to change the government stick with the liberals and smaller parties

It's always been the problem and always will be

Weak opposition , 2 main opposition parties so vote is split , fptp voting system

If starmer does get in he needs to get PR sorted
    You are just saying the same things over and over again, but the evidence doesn't back it up. If Labour win Mid Beds or come close (something that Blair led opposition did not manage in 97), it is a huge reach (/nonsense) to call them weak.

I would have PR tomorrow, because people would be more incentivised to vote for ideas rather than against them and parties wouldn't be incentivised to be vague when fighting an election. I thought this when the Tories were massively ahead and still feel the same way now that Labour are massively ahead.

You seem to think the answer is PR but then also that the answer is for lablib to merge into some awful beige catch all, it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Vox-pop interviews on the street don't usually convey that we have a well-educated and intelligent population.....
    I was on about the Tory candidate who told poor voters that they could f*ck off, but I take your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    You are just saying the same things over and over again, but the evidence doesn't back it up. If Labour win Mid Beds or come close (something that Blair led opposition did not manage in 97), it is a huge reach (/nonsense) to call them weak.

I would have PR tomorrow, because people would be more incentivised to vote for ideas rather than against them and parties wouldn't be incentivised to be vague when fighting an election. I thought this when the Tories were massively ahead and still feel the same way now that Labour are massively ahead.

You seem to think the answer is PR but then also that the answer is for lablib to merge into some awful beige catch all, it doesn't make sense.
    It's either or , it's painfully obvious

PR and one centre and left of centre party making regular deals or a stronger opposition in a bland, if you want , new centrist party

Or we can go on as we are

Which in the current state may still lead to a conservative government , even with a small minority

I ain't going to spend the rest of my life hoping for that , if the next election is yet another wet fart I will vote green and let the centre and left argue with each other

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's either or , it's painfully obvious

PR and one centre and left of centre party making regular deals or a stronger opposition in a bland, if you want , new centrist party

Or we can go on as we are

Which in the current state may still lead to a conservative government , even with a small minority

I ain't going to spend the rest of my life hoping for that , if the next election is yet another wet fart I will vote green and let the centre and left argue with each other
    Labour are a rock solid 14-20 points ahead in the polls and have been for some time now. It might close, it cant widen much more but the idea of a merger has never been further off the table than it is right now.

Labour win both by elections on huge swings which give them small majorities in both cases. In Tamworth, it looks like votes going to three other right wing parties cost the Tories the seat.

To win both is great for Labour

But they are sure to put their foot in it at some point

And please get rid of annalise dodds and the pompous Islington woman

Low turn outs in both seats, but we're in record breaking territory now if the Tories are to turn around their fortunes and win another term. Governments don't traditionally do well in by elections, but they don't lose so many on twenty per cent plus swings against them as this one has done in the last few years and rural seats turning Labour on such a big swing like mid Beds did was unheard of before last night.

No doubt, you'll hear Conservatives saying that the results still do not show people are convinced and impressed by Labour and its leader and I'd say they're right in that view, but that's to ignore the main lesson of these and other recent by elections that the country would appear to have had more than enough of their party.

Can Sludge finally drop his ‘weak opposition’ nonsense and get behind the only party who can beat these bandits?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Can Sludge finally drop his ‘weak opposition’ nonsense and get behind the only party who can beat these bandits?
    The opposition in this country are crap and thats why so many are saying they are voting Labour with a heavy heart and hoping we don't get a watered down version of the conservatives or tory lite

I am voting Labour because I want this lot out but I think starmer lacks conviction and faffs about

Labour getting some great by election results doesn't mean the opposition isn't crap it means that people have had enough of the tories

Emily Thornberry , that's her

Pompous old bat

another election where labour have done even better than expected, after the Scottish one. as it stands on course for a landslide

Low turn outs in both seats, but we're in record breaking territory now if the Tories are to turn around their fortunes and win another term. Governments don't traditionally do well in by elections, but they don't lose so many on twenty per cent plus swings against them as this one has done in the last few years and rural seats turning Labour on such a big swing like mid Beds did was unheard of before last night.

No doubt, you'll hear Conservatives saying that the results still do not show people are convinced and impressed by Labour and its leader and I'd say they're right in that view, but that's to ignore the main lesson of these and other recent by elections that the country would appear to have had more than enough of their party.
    Spot on really. I suppose to add to the mix is the nature of the by-elections, which are often called after a death and the nature of the previous incumbents also don't help.

Labour are absolutely on course for victory. Not by the swings here..both these seats will likely go back the other way, but Starmer is doing very well.

It's interesting how he nullifies opposition. There isn't really much criticism coming from the opposition now - he's not talking about Brexit, the more divisive cultural issues etc and he is not offering any notable change of course on the economy etc.

On the left, you will always get people who think the Labour leader isn't left-wing enough, but he is largely ignoring them. I think his biggest risk is if Corbyn created any formal or informal opposition, which I think is unlikely, but I guess that would take 10% off his vote. That said, he would probably gain half of that back in people glad to see them formally out of the party too.

He's riding the wave and benefitting from it. But that's not a criticism of him at all. It's absolutely sensible. If the tide is taking you in anyway, why waste your energy rowing?

It's not over and I do think polls will narrow somewhat but I think people just want a change of govt really, and naturally so.

Spot on really. I suppose to add to the mix is the nature of the by-elections, which are often called after a death and the nature of the previous incumbents also don't help.

Labour are absolutely on course for victory. Not by the swings here..both these seats will likely go back the other way, but Starmer is doing very well.

It's interesting how he nullifies opposition. There isn't really much criticism coming from the opposition now - he's not talking about Brexit, the more divisive cultural issues etc and he is not offering any notable change of course on the economy etc.

On the left, you will always get people who think the Labour leader isn't left-wing enough, but he is largely ignoring them. I think his biggest risk is if Corbyn created any formal or informal opposition, which I think is unlikely, but I guess that would take 10% off his vote. That said, he would probably gain half of that back in people glad to see them formally out of the party too.

He's riding the wave and benefitting from it. But that's not a criticism of him at all. It's absolutely sensible. If the tide is taking you in anyway, why waste your energy rowing?

It's not over and I do think polls will narrow somewhat but I think people just want a change of govt really, and naturally so.
    Mid Beds will likely swing back but the nature of the Tamworth seat might mean labour keep that.

Labour have stolen the Tory policy of being vague and telling people broadly what they want to hear. It's working and anyone moaning at Starmer for not 'doing more' is missing the point, detail is dangerous in politics.

I could see, for want of a better word, a 'corbynite' party form after the next election if labour have such a big majority that they have no leverage from within. I feel like one of the big reasons the Tories haven't seen a split is that leaders were required to pander to the more extreme blocks to keep their majority in the house (even more visible with Sunak now than ever before).

Have you been hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Have you been hacked?
    No he's just on the ropes like his beloved tory party so he's been on the bottle

He will be back with more founts of knowledge from the internet once he's sobered up

Labour or Lite Blue Labour need less voter apathy, Scotland and no hiccups from here on in to have a majority, my guess the silent Lite Blue Lib's have done a deal so coaltion on the way .

Let's hope Labour dont feck up on :

Europe soft alliance.
    Woman's vaginas.
    Immigration tactics.
    Israel/ Palestinian choices.

Interestingly:

20% swing gives Labour 190 majority with Tories at 30 seats .
    If Reform votes had gone Tory they would have held on I think to both seats ?

Turnouts appalling including Rutherglen. Scotland??

Voter apathy in all these by elections is clear to see.

Do by-election always transfer onto GE .

Boris was only 10 points behind , if he was still there would it be different ?..

When that voter looks at that ballot form inna year or so and has to tick for Tory or Tory lite , what happens..

War is coming (see Maggie victory)

Ask Kinnock about expecting too just walk into government moment .

Blair was and still is the most successful Labour Lite government, Thatcher next, then Boris ask yourself why??

How did John Major deliver afyer Thatcher win and go on to break a voter win record 14 million I think ??

The country is a Conservative one and shifts its shades of blue back hand forth and avoids far left views .

I read somewhere British Conservatives is the most successful political party in worlds history ???

So it'd not complicated why we see the Governments we do .

No I've never voted Tory but a fan of Boris Libertarian approach to politics. Followed by Blair.