+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Noddy Holder Cancer Battles

Noddy Holder Cancer Battles

Slade's Noddy Holder, 77, reveals his secret five year throat cancer battle as his wife Suzan says … https://mol.im/a/12649287 via https://dailym.ai/android

Re: Noddy Holder Cancer Battles

Well, he's 77, and something's going to get us all sooner or later. Sad news, though. I have never been overly interested in music, but Slade caught my attention big time in the '70s. They were so alive and vibrant and guttural. My guess is Noddy's family is going public now because all hope is at an end. Man, what a voice.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Slade's Noddy Holder, 77, reveals his secret five year throat cancer battle as his wife Suzan says … https://mol.im/a/12649287 via https://dailym.ai/android
    Very sorry to read this. Slade along with T.Rex were the first band I ever got into.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Very sorry to read this. Slade along with T.Rex were the first band I ever got into.
    Both of them along with Bowie were extraordinary talents , the top 20 then was a rockers joy .

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Well, he's 77, and something's going to get us all sooner or later. Sad news, though. I have never been overly interested in music, but Slade caught my attention big time in the '70s. They were so alive and vibrant and guttural. My guess is Noddy's family is going public now because all hope is at an end. Man, what a voice.
    I think you better read this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67161532
    His wife says "he's feeling good and looking great", hardly "all hope at an end".

That's sad news. He was massively underrated as a songwriter. If it wasn't Slade, he would have made his mark elsewhere.

My teenage idols, fortunate to have seem them on two occasions in the capitol, the 1st time we mobbed them at the back of the capitol when they arrived, we gave them a big f*ck off kipper tie we had made for them, our teenage tribute band played at Rumney High in the youth club there I had to jump over the fence from St. Illtyds during lunchtime to play the gig, I couldn’t really give a favourite song as they had so many and it depends what mood I’m in, I generally go for How Does it Feel, I’m of the opinion that Jim Lea is the finest British musician of his era, he can play just about anything you put in his hands, outstanding bassist, 6 string axe, pianist, violinist, songwriter, composer and IMO Slade Alive is the finest Live LP still available today, one of my favourite songs outside their popular songs, the pictures in the video brilliantly paints a picture of the times, the words written at the time are so profound for today. All the world is a stage, isn’t fkin just!!! A big disappointment for me was that they couldn’t pull it off one more time for Live Aid, the rift between them was too great, hope that NOD continues to beat this awful disease for many more years, they just blew everyone away live on stage, Ronnie James Dio would probably be my favourite male singer, but Noddy’s is/was and always will be, the most unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    My teenage idols, fortunate to have seem them on two occasions in the capitol, the 1st time we mobbed them at the back of the capitol when they arrived, we gave them a big f*ck off kipper tie we had made for them, our teenage tribute band played at Rumney High in the youth club there I had to jump over the fence from St. Illtyds during lunchtime to play the gig, I couldn’t really give a favourite song as they had so many and it depends what mood I’m in, I generally go for How Does it Feel, I’m of the opinion that Jim Lea is the finest British musician of his era, he can play just about anything you put in his hands, outstanding bassist, 6 string axe, pianist, violinist, songwriter, composer and IMO Slade Alive is the finest Live LP still available today, one of my favourite songs outside their popular songs, the pictures in the video brilliantly paints a picture of the times, the words written at the time are so profound for today. All the world is a stage, isn’t fkin just!!! A big disappointment for me was that they couldn’t pull it off one more time for Live Aid, the rift between them was too great, hope that NOD continues to beat this awful disease for many more years, they just blew everyone away live on stage, Ronnie James Dio would probably be my favourite male singer, but Noddy’s is/was and always will be, the most unique.
    in for a penny there best track no contest

I saw Slade at Cardiff University in their skinhead days. It must have been 1970. They were a very good turn. Having a violinist, Jim Lea, in a skinhead band, was a bit of a surprise but very effective. A bit of a contrast in style to their “glam” days

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I saw Slade at Cardiff University in their skinhead days. It must have been 1970. They were a very good turn. Having a violinist, Jim Lea, in a skinhead band, was a bit of a surprise but very effective. A bit of a contrast in style to their “glam” days
    slade in there skinhead days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgYExj3BNBM

Wrongly, I lumped Slade in with the Glam rock movement which I saw as a huge let down after what preceded it - that said, I always thought Noddy Holder had one of the great rock voices. Glad to see that reports of his demise look premature, he’s always seemed indestructible to me.

loved Slade back in the 70s as previously mentioned very underrated as songwriters
    fav single their first number one Cos I luv you

First ever band I got into and first Album I bought was old new borrowed and blue.
    Really underestimated band and sadly I never saw them live.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    in for a penny there best track no contest
    In for a penny was in our repertoire Mozz, a nice but intricate chord sequence based around "D" , it was also one of Dave Hill's easiest lead to play, other than at the end its basically a one finger Job, although the song is easy to play, because of the problems i had i cannot play this anymore, the finger changes on the fret board are so close together i cannot co-ordinate the changes, check out Slady on You tube, a female tribute band, bloody great they are not seen them advertising a gig down these parts as yet but will certainly go and see them when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wrongly, I lumped Slade in with the Glam rock movement which I saw as a huge let down after what preceded it - that said, I always thought Noddy Holder had one of the great rock voices. Glad to see that reports of his demise look premature, he’s always seemed indestructible to me.
    I sort of did the same with Sweet. I mistakenly lumped them in with Glam Rock but they were a terrific band.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I think you better read this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67161532
    His wife says "he's feeling good and looking great", hardly "all hope at an end".
    Let us hope this turns out well. I remember Michael Douglas was diagnosed with throat cancer yonks ago (do people still say 'yonks'?) but is still ticking along. All the best for Noddy.

Slade were a lat addition to the bill at Reading in 1980. They were brilliant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhrhqaNtCAg

This is the set list https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/slade...-2bd6541a.html

A four track EP was released. I have it somewhere.

I saw Slade in Top Rank along with Suzy Quatro, we got there well early sat on the floor near stage and watched the warm up band, threesome from Dublin called Thin Lizzy.. I always wonder if that was there first mainland tour👀

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I sort of did the same with Sweet. I mistakenly lumped them in with Glam Rock but they were a terrific band.
    Sweet were a proper heavy rock band, their singles were a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    They were originally a band called The 'N Between way back in 1966, moved onto being Ambrose Slade,they were so diverse they'd play Zappa, Moody Blues, Stepenwolf, Chas Chandler of the Animals made then big..

I would argue this is Noddy best vocal moment :

https://youtu.be/u7XEjl5GNS8?si=J0_Pqf0iKe_PS3uc

I saw Slade in Top Rank along with Suzy Quatro, we got there well early sat on the floor near stage and watched the warm up band, threesome from Dublin called Thin Lizzy.. I always wonder if that was there first mainland tour👀
    I have tickets for Suzi Quatro at St David's Hall next month. I'm waiting to hear if it will be moved to a different venue or cancelled altogether.

Sweet were a proper heavy rock band, their singles were a distraction.
    Yes, absolutely true 👍

I don't want any of us to go. but we all will. And if i could choose then it would be in your sleep peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I don't want any of us to go. but we all will. And if i could choose then it would be in your sleep peacefully.
    That’s how my grandfather went.

Unlike his passengers who were screaming and shouting

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    That’s how my grandfather went.

Unlike his passengers who were screaming and shouting
    That can happen, sorry for your loss.