+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Robinson and Colwill.

Re: Robinson and Colwill.

I don't like Bulut calling out players the way he did - especially with Robinson before he had had the conversation with him.

I didn't like it with Morison either.

There are times and places and ways of making a point - and both barrels in a pre match press conference is probably wrong on all counts. Otherwise (bar a few odd selections) he has been an impressive breathe of fresh air - a real manager with a vision, a plan and a load of self confidence. It can be infectious!

But I mostly agree with the position he has taken - and I think he is doing it from a stance of making two good players better.

It may be a mistake to exclude Colwill and Robinson from the starting 11 if he doesn't think they are defending well enough from the front. He may be losing more from them than he gains from the less talented players that do the hard work. But if he can get the reaction he wants it will be worth it for the short term pain.

I expect Colwill to do the same as Tanner when given the Bulut treatment. Not so sure about Robbo - but hope he does too.

I want Colwill to succeed as much as the rest of us but I don't think it's much to ask for him to work a little harder off the ball. That doesn't mean he has to defend like some of you are suggesting. He just has to work harder in his zone of the pitch. I really hope he gets this because I am sick and tired of seeing a city team with 3 DMs in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I don't like Bulut calling out players the way he did - especially with Robinson before he had had the conversation with him.

I didn't like it with Morison either.

There are times and places and ways of making a point - and both barrels in a pre match press conference is probably wrong on all counts. Otherwise (bar a few odd selections) he has been an impressive breathe of fresh air - a real manager with a vision, a plan and a load of self confidence. It can be infectious!

But I mostly agree with the position he has taken - and I think he is doing it from a stance of making two good players better.

It may be a mistake to exclude Colwill and Robinson from the starting 11 if he doesn't think they are defending well enough from the front. He may be losing more from them than he gains from the less talented players that do the hard work. But if he can get the reaction he wants it will be worth it for the short term pain.

I expect Colwill to do the same as Tanner when given the Bulut treatment. Not so sure about Robbo - but hope he does too.
    He did something similar with Tanner early in the season and Tanner has been excellent since.

I very much doubt that either Colwill or Robinson didn't know what the manager wants from them.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    The classic 'you're not a football manager' argument when someone has a different opinion. And of all the comparisons made the Pep one makes me laugh the most. Got to be honest, I never fully appreciated that if Rubin played we are guaranteed to lose 3-1. Now I know.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-doku-30986767

Jack Grealish handed Man City warning after Pep Guardiola's "incredible" admission
    Jack Grealish is still Manchester City's most expensive player of all time but has been sent a warning on his place in the side with Pep Guardiola aiming to add to the treble he won last season.

Jack Grealish has been warned that he needs to work “harder” to keep his place at Manchester City following the arrival of Jeremy Doku.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    The classic 'you're not a football manager' argument when someone has a different opinion. And of all the comparisons made the Pep one makes me laugh the most. Got to be honest, I never fully appreciated that if Rubin played we are guaranteed to lose 3-1. Now I know.
    If less than eleven men are playing full pelt without the ball we leak goals, you watched the start of the season, Bulut improved the attacking options but we needed three goals to get a win, he's now tightened things up and has the team working harder without the ball, and if we score two we usually win. Play a number ten that won't put in a shift, we will leak goals again, it's basic stuff.

Buluts told them, do what I want or don't play, I think he'll get a response, lets wait and see it worked with Tanner a treat and now what a player.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

Jack Grealish handed Man City warning after Pep Guardiola's "incredible" admission
    Jack Grealish is still Manchester City's most expensive player of all time but has been sent a warning on his place in the side with Pep Guardiola aiming to add to the treble he won last season.

Jack Grealish has been warned that he needs to work “harder” to keep his place at Manchester City following the arrival of Jeremy Doku.
    The bloke doesn't know what he's talking about.......

Warned by who? Pep? Publicly? Or some ex player turned pundit? Lay of the ket, Feedy.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Warned by who? Pep? Publicly? Or some ex player turned pundit? Lay of the ket, Feedy.
    Only just looked at the story and it’s not really what it was painted as when the link was posted is it. Also, I can’t find anything directly saying that Grealish has to work harder in the areas our manager seems so concerned about. In fact, the article seems all about what Grealish does when he has the ball.

If less than eleven men are playing full pelt without the ball we leak goals, you watched the start of the season, Bulut improved the attacking options but we needed three goals to get a win, he's now tightened things up and has the team working harder without the ball, and if we score two we usually win. Play a number ten that won't put in a shift, we will leak goals again, it's basic stuff.

Buluts told them, do what I want or don't play, I think he'll get a response, lets wait and see it worked with Tanner a treat and now what a player.
    Out of interest, when’s the last time Tanner beat his marker in the manner he was doing so often in the early weeks of the season - maybe all of the effort of spending most of his time covering defensively in his own half for much of our last couple of games was tiring him out?

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Jesus this ones thick

Who do you think, Pep it's blatantly obvious.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news-27814691

Keep on the Smack and finish the last few brain cells.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Out of interest, when’s the last time Tanner beat his marker in the manner he was doing so often in the early weeks of the season - maybe all of the effort of spending most of his time covering defensively in his own half for much of our last couple of games was tiring him out?
    Probably since Ramsey has been out and he has become one of our main threats.

It was pretty obvious after tearing Swansea apart he was going to get more attention as teams plan to stop him playing.

Bowler is playing well, a few weeks off and hopefully he will come back stronger.

International

Only just looked at the story and it’s not really what it was painted as when the link was posted is it. Also, I can’t find anything directly saying that Grealish has to work harder in the areas our manager seems so concerned about. In fact, the article seems all about what Grealish does when he has the ball.
    Here you go Bob, Pep often asks more from his players, most good Managers do.

Jesus this ones thick

Who do you think, Pep it's blatantly obvious.

Keep on the Smack and finish the last few brain cells.
    Where’s the quotes from Pep in either link you’ve posted?

Mental

There surely has to be a line - how much of an attacking player's creativity is Bulut prepared to sacrifice for that player's defensive duty? Dave Jones, as an example, gave Peter Whittingham quite a bit of freedom from his defensive duty if it meant him being more creative at the other end of the pitch. Malky Mackay was much more demanding of Whitts. I might be wrong, but I can't see Bulut being anywhere near as strict with Rambo as he is being with Robinson and Colwill.

At the moment, Bulut seems to be totally happy for us to have little creativity as long as it makes us stronger defensively. It's working to a fashion. We've gone from having one of the worst defensive records earlier in the season to having currently the 10th best. We've also gone from being one of the division's top scorers to a side where 10 other teams in the division have scored less than us. I fully appreciate that losing Ramsey is a big factor in that, but for Bulut to prefer a defensive midfielder in a sort of no.10 position than 2 players who are more attacking there, suggests he's now happy to cling on to 0-0 draws and hope to pinch a point. As a result our football is now as bad as it was last season, we offer no threat and we're losing games as a result.

OK so you know better than the manager, let's go back to conceding two or three a game and Cowlill playing a nice few moves and tricks and losing 3-1, sack Bulut and start again with a new manager shipping another load of players in and out.

It's tough love from an experienced Manager, give me a better work ethic if you want to play, good on him, this team can't afford any luxury players.

Pep does exactly the same to world-class players, working for the team or warming the bench eventually players like Grealish and Foden get it, and become Premier League and Champions League-winning world-class players.
    Ah yes, I forgot you aren't allowed opinions in football otherwise you know better than the manager.

But yeah I'm going to stick my neck out and say playing Robinson or Colwill would work much better than Wintle in #10. Everyone can see it apart from you and Bulut.

OK so you know better than the manager, let's go back to conceding two or three a game and Cowlill playing a nice few moves and tricks and losing 3-1
    Whereas we're now being ultra defensive, not scoring at all and losing 1 or 2-0.

Here you go Bob, Pep often asks more from his players, most good Managers do.

I’ve still not seen a link where Pep is telling Grealish he won’t be picking him because he’s not doing enough when Man City don’t have the ball though.

Our fans seem to have an unhealthy relationship with Colwill, partly down to be desperatation for him to succeed as a local academy boy. We seem to have one side saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread and another saying he’s not up to it and saying how poor he was today for 15mins. Kind of feel sorry for him, managers comments to me seem right but I’m not sure he’s the type to react, he seems very laid back. I’m certain he needs games somewhere tho.

I’ve still not seen a link where Pep is telling Grealish he won’t be picking him because he’s not doing enough when Man City don’t have the ball though.
    Pep dropped Aguero for this very reason.

For what it’s worth, I think it is odd to say the least. Robinson is our best player in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Pep dropped Aguero for this very reason.

For what it’s worth, I think it is odd to say the least. Robinson is our best player in my opinion.
    Our best player?

Whereas Robinson is one of our more gifted players there is no way that he is our best player!

That is like saying that Marlon Pack was our best player.

What's odd to me is not that he necessarily feels that about Colwill and Robinson... it's clear that Colwill still doesn't have the fitness or the pace to press like Bulut wants for 90 minutes and Robinson hasn't looked particularly interested in the games he has played and you assume Bulut sees the same in training. Although in that case it still makes no sense Colwill was given a contract, I don't think he was showing Bulut something in preseason that he isn't now.

But it is odd that he seems to roll out Ugbo and Grant every game in that case. After his early season goal scoring "exploits" Ugbo basically contributes nothing on either end, and yet twice he's been the player he turns to when he's not happy with the effort Tanner has put in. It basically feels like we play with 10 with Ugbo on the pitch, and yet I guess he runs around enough for Bulut to feel like he's trying? You could say the same about Grant, he's had a couple good games but other than that he's mostly anonymous. Seems very much like it's one standard for one set of players and one for another... as noted I'd much rather see a player like Robinson who has the quality at this level given a chance than one like Ugbo who quite clearly so far doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    What's odd to me is not that he necessarily feels that about Colwill and Robinson... it's clear that Colwill still doesn't have the fitness or the pace to press like Bulut wants for 90 minutes and Robinson hasn't looked particularly interested in the games he has played and you assume Bulut sees the same in training. Although in that case it still makes no sense Colwill was given a contract, I don't think he was showing Bulut something in preseason that he isn't now.

But it is odd that he seems to roll out Ugbo and Grant every game in that case. After his early season goal scoring "exploits" Ugbo basically contributes nothing on either end, and yet twice he's been the player he turns to when he's not happy with the effort Tanner has put in. It basically feels like we play with 10 with Ugbo on the pitch, and yet I guess he runs around enough for Bulut to feel like he's trying? You could say the same about Grant, he's had a couple good games but other than that he's mostly anonymous. Seems very much like it's one standard for one set of players and one for another... as noted I'd much rather see a player like Robinson who has the quality at this level given a chance than one like Ugbo who quite clearly so far doesn't.
    I think Meite and Etete are now ahead of Ugbo, both their injuries coming at the same time didn’t help. The only other real option upfront is Robinson who he doesn’t seem to think can do it. I would be surprised not to see Meite upfront Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think Meite and Etete are now ahead of Ugbo, both their injuries coming at the same time didn’t help. The only other real option upfront is Robinson who he doesn’t seem to think can do it. I would be surprised not to see Meite upfront Tuesday.
    I would love to see us set up differently.

Ugbo is rubbish and Etete is quite not ready.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I would love to see us set up differently.

Ugbo is rubbish and Etete is quite not ready.
    Generally agree about Etete but thought he was showing some good form and improving his general play before the injury.

It’s very clear we need another striker and if we had managed to get Moore I think the whole team would looka lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Generally agree about Etete but thought he was showing some good form and improving his general play before the injury.

It’s very clear we need another striker and if we had managed to get Moore I think the whole team would looka lot different.
    Etete has the ability to turn a defender, his general play is much better than Ugbos'