+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ajax

Ajax

Lost again yesterday. Fourth league game in a row and currently sat 17th out of 18 in the Dutch League.

Admittedly, they should have three points on the way from an abandoned away game, but still.

Next week they are away to PSV who are top. Lose that and PSV will be on 30 points to Ajax's 5!

I can't remember a worst start from a European giant in their domestic league. Anyone else?

Re: Ajax

Are Ajax still a European giant?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'd say so, but I suppose I meant a giant of a European league. I can't remember a Benfica, Barcelona, AC Milan, Rangers, Bayern Munich etc of this world starting a season so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    i preferred Vim

It wasnt that long ago I watched a program about the success story of Ajax. They were in the semi finals of the champions league 2019, appeared to have a conveyor belt of footballing talent they could sell for major money with a conveyor belt of more to follow .
    Most clubs were in awe of them .
    They were still ripping it up under Erik ten Hag until he moved to Man United recently .
    Something dramatic has happened there ?

Just read this.https://www.theguardian.com/football...evers-to-chaos

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    i preferred Vim
    How many times did they win the European Cup? Seriously, your posts are ****ing useless.

It's a strange one alright. I haven't been following closely, but my son's just been telling me about the match against Feyenoord which had to be abandoned with Ajax 3 down. They then went on to lose the replayed match even more heavily . Also says they've never been out of the top flight, though I haven't checked that one.

Didn't hear about the overmars situation. I see he's already elsewhere otherwise I'd recommend the club hire him on the basis he isn't allowed a camera phone.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Lost again yesterday. Fourth league game in a row and currently sat 17th out of 18 in the Dutch League.

Admittedly, they should have three points on the way from an abandoned away game, but still.

Next week they are away to PSV who are top. Lose that and PSV will be on 30 points to Ajax's 5!

I can't remember a worst start from a European giant in their domestic league. Anyone else?
    Depends how far back you want to go.. in the UK, of the so called ‘giants’ I can remember every one of them with the exception of Liverpool and Arsenal being relegated from the top division since I’ve been watching football

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Depends how far back you want to go.. in the UK, of the so called ‘giants’ I can remember every one of them with the exception of Liverpool and Arsenal being relegated from the top division since I’ve been watching football
    Liverpool & Leyton Orient took ours and Chelsea’s place in the top division in my years following the game. Everton are also a top division mainstay in my lifetime. Wouldn’t mind them coming down soon (as long as we stay in the Championship) to visit their new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    It wasnt that long ago I watched a program about the success story of Ajax. They were in the semi finals of the champions league 2019, appeared to have a conveyor belt of footballing talent they could sell for major money with a conveyor belt of more to follow .
    Most clubs were in awe of them .
    They were still ripping it up under Erik ten Hag until he moved to Man United recently .
    Something dramatic has happened there ?

Just read this.https://www.theguardian.com/football...evers-to-chaos
    An object lesson in how important it is to get the right person in to oversee transfer policy in the modern game. It seems like Overmars was an accident waiting to happen, but would they have been in this mess if he’d stayed?

Lyon were in the Champions League Semi final in 2020 and are now bottom of ligue 1
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Other

Here's an example of a better way to run a football club
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66769248

Although the aren't doing so well this season

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Lyon were in the Champions League Semi final in 2020 and are now bottom of ligue 1
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Other
    Interesting. I see from the table at the bottom of that piece that Lens are struggling too, despite qualifying for the Champions League this year (...and beating Arsenal recently).

(Can't read anything about Lyon without thinking back to THAT semi final though!)

Lost 5-2 away to PSV today and they now sit plum bottom of the Eredivisie..

Won their last two league games but have been beaten 2 - 0 by Brighton tonight in Europe. What a blast that must have been / is for the Brighton fans in Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Won their last two league games but have been beaten 2 - 0 by Brighton tonight in Europe. What a blast that must have been / is for the Brighton fans in Amsterdam
    Great weekend

Used to fly from Cardiff

Might have a chance of beating a team from League One over here. Used to be a team the rest of Europe feared every season. Nothing to fear these days. Remember watching them on tv years ago. World Class players from 1 to 11.