+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diversity - Is it going too far?

Diversity - Is it going too far?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67195794

Arsenal, if these are the best they can get why the problem. Surely Squads should be the best a Club can get. Why include anyone who isn’t good enough?
    If you’re good enough…..

Re: Diversity - Is it going too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67195794

Arsenal, if these are the best they can get why the problem. Surely Squads should be the best a Club can get. Why include anyone who isn’t good enough?
    If you’re good enough…..
    Depends how and where they are recruiting.

A team photo of 27 players at a major club in north London without a single non-white face has to raise questions.

There may be reasonable answers, but somehow I doubt it!

If there's a bias (either concious or unconscious) in the recruitment process then it does matter.

For a sports team, pick the best players. As long as there's no bias in the recruitment I don't get the problem.

Of course in other organisations diversity can be enormously valuable and important to have.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Depends how and where they are recruiting.

A team photo of 27 players at a major club in north London without a single non-white face has to raise questions.

There may be reasonable answers, but somehow I doubt it!
    I would be very surprised if Arsenal ladies recruited from the local community , white , black or whatever minority

They probably get the best players from all over the country

I would imagine these players are more likely to be from Hampshire than Harlesden

Stories like this are the usual divisive sectarian nonsense that are slowly tearing us apart.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Stories like this are the usual divisive sectarian nonsense that are slowly tearing us apart.
    And most of them come from the political right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    And most of them come from the political right.
    Doesn't actually, but thats not the point.

It's still emphasising that what divides us is the most important thing.

BBC cheering it on of course, always amplifying any story like this which probably came from about two people's twitter accounts

Doesn't actually, but thats not the point.

It's still emphasising that what divides us is the most important thing.

BBC cheering it on of course, always amplifying any story like this which probably came from about two people's twitter accounts
    Come on, this happens with all news organisations. It's not a BBC thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Come on, this happens with all news organisations. It's not a BBC thing.
    I agree, many do. But I think the BBC is one of the worst culprits and they have a broader responsibility. They routinely promote these stories at the expense of other things and as I say, I think it's driving wedges between people and creating an image of a society in constant racial conflict, which I don't think is true. I think it's making society more divided

I agree, many do. But I think the BBC is one of the worst culprits and they have a broader responsibility. They routinely promote these stories at the expense of other things and as I say, I think it's driving wedges between people and creating an image of a society in constant racial conflict, which I don't think is true. I think it's making society more divided
    How do you know the BBC routinely promotes these stories at the expense of other things ?

Where have you got this from ?

You are having one of your nights here

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    How do you know the BBC routinely promotes these stories at the expense of other things ?

Where have you got this from ?

You are having one of your nights here
    Because the BBC often report on these stories, frequently based on a tiny reaction on twitter. And they only have so many stories on the website / TV news and thus other stories by default slip down the agenda.

Sometimes the demand for racism seems to outstrip supply and this strikes me as one of those occasions.

There's around 70,000 black, mixed, Asian people living in the borough of Islington, in a total population of around 215,000.

Because the BBC often report on these stories, frequently based on a tiny reaction on twitter. And they only have so many stories on the website / TV news and thus other stories by default slip down the agenda.

Sometimes the demand for racism seems to outstrip supply and this strikes me as one of those occasions.
    So no idea at all then

Get back in your box

How is it going too far? It's actually pretty strange seeing an entirely white team and staff. It's like something from another era.

So no idea at all then

Get back in your box
    What are you talking about? They is clearly an editorial decision to promote stories such as this, as they have done in this case and in many other examples, usually based on a small amount of twitter outrage from a tiny minority.

What are you talking about? They is clearly an editorial decision to promote stories such as this, as they have done in this case and in many other examples, usually based on a small amount of twitter outrage from a tiny minority.
    You have said the BBC is promoting these stories .....about ethnicity and diversity .....at the expense of others

And it's CLEARLY an editorial decision

You have produced no evidence whatsoever that this claim of yours is true

You are talking nonsense

i would say that it's a good thing that people are wondering why there are no black faces in a team photo of a huge football club situated in arguably the most diverse City on Earth.

You have said the BBC is promoting these stories .....about ethnicity and diversity .....at the expense of others

And it's CLEARLY an editorial decision

You have produced no evidence whatsoever that this claim of yours is true

You are talking nonsense
    What do you think they get put on websites without editors say so?! It's not Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's around 70,000 black, mixed, Asian people living in the borough of Islington, in a total population of around 215,000.
    Last summer you said that Cardiff had a insignificant in numbers Caribbean community . I posted something off you tube that would disagree with that

What do you think they get put on websites without editors say so?! It's not Facebook
    Now listen to yourself ....

Where is your evidence that stories about diversity from the BBC are being given precedent over other stories ?

I am still waiting

Your opinion does not make something a fact

i would say that it's a good thing that people are wondering why there are no black faces in a team photo of a huge football club situated in arguably the most diverse City on Earth.
    Because sometimes that will happen. Arsenal's men's team has a real lack of white English players. That will also happen. Cardiff City doesn't represent the city of Cardiff at all.

The Great Britain men's basketnball team has no white players.

You can't go around scrutinizing these things too much. Or you can, and you can dog whistle about racism but as I say, I think you'll be contributing towards driving society apart more and merely emphasising that race and skin colour is all that matters.

Last summer you said that Cardiff had a insignificant in numbers Caribbean community . I posted something off you tube that would disagree with that
    Did you? Sorry, i don't recall. Probably around 4000 in a population of around 380,000. I would not have used the word 'Insignificant'

Now listen to yourself ....

Where is your evidence that stories about diversity from the BBC are being given precedent over other stories ?

I am still waiting

Your opinion does not make something a fact
    You don't think the BBC and others do that then? That they don't deliberately and artificially inflate stories of this kind?

Did you? Sorry, i don't recall. Probably around 4000 in a population of around 380,000. I would not have used the word 'Insignificant'
    It's considerably larger than that

Your use of the word insignificant was about the size of the community not its importance